iPod nano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sir,
    I'm sure your player would just do the job well :) But I guess i cannot see movies while flying from east to west
    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
      Kids.

My attic is full of lps ... and if I can find a needle for my record player ...
      Yeah, I think I remember them...The big black disc things, right?

8 Tracks were just going out and being replaced with records when I was a kid. I remember my first album, too - The Smurfs All Star Show! And when I got my first cassette player and my stepdad copied the album onto the tape - Man! That was cool stuff!

I also had this very cool little box that I kept all the little records (45s?) in. It had Wonder Woman on the side.

Who'd have thought that not only would we be able to carry our music with us without lugging around a big case of tapes but we'd be able to obtain that music without having to try and record it from the radio with the DJ talking for the 1st and last few seconds of the song.

..those were the days
      :)
      "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Yep the gool old days. Hmmm the warm feelings of nostalgia.

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10
          I never got into the MP3 players because I'm too lazy to upload songs into them, they're very expensive, and I've got too many CD's. Plus, I don't know one person who can come even close to filling up one of the larger MP3 players that can hold anything over 5000 songs.
          iPods can hold much more than music (and videos now) - My brother has a 60 gig iPod (got it a couple of weeks ago; it is amazing, and very watchable, even LoTR return of the King extended edition), with about 6 gig free. He's got all his programming stuff and backups of data on his iPod. My 4 gig mini is totally full(cause I have DDR on mine: not playable, but has all the info.

Also, it is very easy to import cds to your computer. With iTunes (free), you can set it to import the music when you stick in a music cd. Then, next time you plug-in your iPod, it loads all the music you imported onto your iPod.

Comment

ipod nano is awesome, you difinitely get more than 1000 songs if you use the "correct" encoding :)

but your battery life sucks, i have friends telling me you can only get 6-8 hrs out of continuous playing

Comment

So you guys think I should trade in my Sony Walkman for one of these things?

Where do you insert the cassette?

Comment

Haahahaha.....

Comment

Cassette? whats that??

Comment

Another new gizmo....

EyeBud can turn video iPod into big-screen TV for one
                    It's scheduled to debut this year for as much as $599

By TODD BISHOP
                    SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

A company that makes video display products for military and industrial uses is setting its sights on a new market -- the iPod.

Bellevue-based eMagin Corp. has developed a wearable headset system that plugs into Apple Computer's portable media device and displays video from it in front of one eye, using optical technology designed to give the picture a higher resolution and make it appear larger than on the iPod's screen.

Gary Jones of with EyeBud
                    Zoom Paul Joseph Brown / P-I
                    Gary Jones, president and CEO of eMagin Corp. of Bellevue, demonstrates his company's new wearable display for video iPods. Using the EyeBud headset is akin to watching a 105-inch display from 12 feet away. "Suddenly you've got this big-screen, movie-screen, home-theater experience wherever you are," he says.

The system, dubbed the EyeBud 800, is another entry in the booming ecosystem of accessories and complementary products that has emerged around Apple's portable music player. But this isn't in the realm of a $20 carrying case. Scheduled to debut in the first half of this year, the EyeBud is expected to retail for as much as $599 -- $200 more than the cost of a 60-gigabyte iPod.

But eMagin's executives are betting that the notion of a virtual big screen will win people over. With the proximity of the screen to the eye, and the magnifying effect of the company's optical technology, the company says that using the headset is akin to watching a 105-inch display from 12 feet away.

"Suddenly you've got this big-screen, movie-screen, home-theater experience, wherever you are," said Gary Jones, eMagin's president and CEO.

The EyeBud system uses a separate control module, about the size of the iPod, which includes a rechargeable battery pack. The headgear might garner curious looks when worn in public. But eMagin executives say they expect people to get used to the appearance, in the same way that Bluetooth headsets are no longer uncommon.
                    Close-up
                    Zoom eMagin Corp.
                    A close-up of the display component of the new wearable display for video iPods by eMagin Corp., compared with the size of a quarter.

EMagin will be among the sea of companies unveiling products and seeking to drum up interest at this week's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

The EyeBud uses the same underlying technology as eMagin's more advanced Z800 3DVisor, an existing system that retails for $899. That system puts a display in front of each eye and uses head-tracking technology to let people look around virtual worlds, such as video games.

Both devices can also be used as an alternative way of viewing regular computer screens.

The 10-year-old publicly traded company, which licenses a portion of its technology from Eastman Kodak, has posted cumulative sales since its inception of $10.3 million, as of September, according to regulatory filings. Considered a development stage company until January 2003, eMagin posted a net loss of $11.7 million in the nine months ended Sept. 30, according to filings.

Although eMagin has recently started offering its own consumer products, the bigger portion of its business remains selling micro displays and optical systems as components to manufacturers of commercial, industrial and military devices.

CES 2006

Microsoft, Google, Yahoo and other technology companies will share their strategies at the Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show this week. Follow the news on SeattlePI.com and on Todd Bishop's Microsoft Blog.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...tml?source=rss

Comment

Depends. My mobile phone does more than the iPod nano can. The only limitation on it is the memory size. But i can create and playback videos, mp3s and jpegs. That doesn't include all the normal phone features (voice, text, web etc). I spent yesterday listening to mp3s on my phone (travelling by train).

The next versions up from my mobile will take memory cards up to 512Mb soon there will be greater capacities.

Hence, if you don't have a massive desire for an Ipod now, in a few months time you will be able to get as much useful storage on a mobile as an Ipod Nano and do more with it. Or at least store enough tunes

I can't be carrying two bothered devices around, and obviously the mobile is inherently more important than the Ipod. Also, the practical limitations for me (i.e. that i can hold less songs) are outweighed by the fact i don't need ot change music that often. You might have a different need. But equally a mobile with a Gig card might suffice.

Its funny i was wondering recently if people still use traditional walkmans.
                      at

Comment

Originally posted by Trooth
                        Its funny i was wondering recently if people still use traditional walkmans.
                        As I have already admitted to having had one that played CDs up until just a few months ago - I don't think you people are very funny!!
                        ;)
                        "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Well, I have a mobile that can take 1 GB memorystick and it can be used to listen mp3's and videos as well! But Ipod is whole different thing ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
                            Well, I have a mobile that can take 1 GB memorystick and it can be used to listen mp3's and videos as well! But Ipod is whole different thing ;)
                            Its just more of the same. The only difference is more memory. Yes more memory means you can stick more movies on it, to plug into a home system and always have your movies with you - but most people aren't that depserate. What most people need are enough tunes to get them through a couple of hours without repeats i reckon.
                            at

Comment

No, playing movies in phones has always been sluggish, you dont get the feel that you get in ipod. But I agree, if you have one, you may not need an ipod, it depends.

Comment

Wohooo my Apple stock has gone through the roof and has made uncertain plans for the New Year more of a definate yes it can happen thank you!
                                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Working...
                                X