• Show
Clear All

• There's no bias at CNN

CNN covers Cheney
    with mysterious 'X'
    Matt Drudge calls it 'alarming,' network claims it's just glitch
    Posted: November 22, 2005
    10:24 a.m. Eastern

Vice President Dick Cheney had his face covered by a mysterious giant "X" during CNN's live coverage of his speech from the American Enterprise Institute yesterday.

Giant black X continuously flashed over Vice President Cheney's face during CNN coverage of speech today (courtesy: Drudge Report)

According to the Drudge Report, the "X" over Cheney's face "appeared each time less than a second, creating an odd subliminal effect."

A screen capture by Drudge notes that while one "X" flashed over Cheney's face, CNN ran a headline at the bottom of its screen: "CHENEY: I DO NOT BELIEVE IT IS WRONG TO CRITICIZE."

"This is the vice president of the United States. It is rather serious to be putting black 'Xs' over his face," online journalist Matt Drudge said on last night's "Hannity & Colmes" program on the Fox News Channel. "I felt it rather alarming that this is subliminally being sent out over the airwaves. ... I'm just knocked out."

When asked if he thought it was evidence of the so-called liberal media, Drudge answered, "I don't know. Is CNN liberal?"

The TVNewser website obtained a statement from a CNN spokeswoman Laurie Goldberg, explaining: "Upon seeing this unfortunate but very brief graphic, CNN senior management immediately investigated. We concluded this was a technological malfunction, not an issue of operator error. A portion of the switcher experienced a momentary glitch. We obviously regret that it happened and are working on the equipment to ensure it is not repeated."

"It glitched over and over again, huh?" Drudge responded. "The timing of the glitch is interesting."

Meanwhile, at a weblog called the Dan Report, a contributor manipulated a screen shot to expose text below the "X."

The text reads: "Transition begins after 5 frames of black."

That leads some bloggers, including Michelle Malkin, to conclude the flashing "X" likely was a glitch.

In an update this morning, however, the Drudge Report said a "well-placed CNN inside" claimed a control room staffer "laughed" when the image appeared.

CNN management has launched an internal investigation, according to Drudge.

"We are taking this matter very, very seriously, and I can assure you no one at this network would ever deliberately place an 'X' over the vice president's face," a top CNN source, who asked not to be named, said from New York.

Vice President Cheney himself is said to have brushed off the incident, a White House source said early this morning, according to Drudge.

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/articl...TICLE_ID=47523

Its no surprise to me I watch several news casts every day.
    Disrespectfull to say the least to do that to a Vice President when some of the goons they have on their deserve it 10 times more then Cheyney ever did.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I think it probably WAS a glitch. I also think it highly likely that a CNN employee thought it was funny, and probably more than one did.

That CNN is NOT even-handed and unbiased is really beyond dispute. Where I work, we have cable news going 24/7, and it is ulcer-inducing to watch CNN for an entire 12-hour shift. The bias is real, it is not rare, and it is always in one direction.

Comment

CNN isn't the only ones to have a serious SNAFU on-air.

From snopes.com:

On Monday, 4 February 2002, MSNBC conducted an interview about the "Enron mess" with Niger Innis, national spokesman for the Congress of Racial Equality and political commentator.
        During the broadcast, MSNBC mistakenly put up a graphic identifying Mr. Innis as "****** Innis"

According to the Associated Press:

Shortly after [the graphic] appeared, correspondent Gregg Jarrett offered Innis a "profuse apology.''
        "Oh, God, I thought you guys thought I was a rapper or something,'' Innis replied. "Media bias continues. Just kidding. It's not the first time it's happened, but hopefully it's the last.''

It was strictly a typographical mistake, network spokesman Mark O'Connor said Thursday. He wouldn't say whether any disciplinary action was taken against the person who made the blunder.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/innis.htm
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Y'all hear about THIS?

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX SUN NOV 27 2005 17:05:23 ET XXXXX

CNN OPERATOR FIRED AFTER SUGGESTING 'X' OVER CHENEY WAS 'FREE SPEECH'

A CNN switchboard operator was fired over the holiday -- after the operator claimed the 'X' placed over Vice President's Dick Cheney's face was "free speech!"

"We did it just to make a point. Tell them to stop lying, Bush and Cheney," the CNN operator said to a caller. "Bring our soldiers home."

The caller initially phoned the network to complain about the all-news channel flashing an "X' over Cheney as he gave an address live from Washington.

"Was it not freedom of speech? Yes or No?" the CNN operator explained.

"If you don't like it, don't watch."

Laurie Goldberg, Senior Vice President for Public Relations with CNN, said in a release:

"A Turner switchboard operator was fired today after we were alerted to a conversation the operator had with a caller in which the operator lost his temper and expressed his personal views -- behavior that was totally inappropriate. His comments did not reflect the views of CNN. We are reaching out to the caller and expressing our deep regret to her and apologizing that she did not get the courtesy entitled to her. "

Developing...

Comment

"If you don't like it, don't watch."

I won't.

Comment

Being in the business I have to say this is rather odd. I'd need to know how often and for how long it went on but at face value this is reasonably difficult to achieve accidentally. The X and by-line are non standard, namely when you are rolling into an item you use a countdown 10 through 2 and then 2 seconds black, not the 5 seconds as the byline suggests. Secondly as far as I'm aware nobody uses an X but the numerals 10 through 2. Thirdly this has been alpha keyed, which means it was sourced from a graphics workstation and inputed through a mixing desk, either at the OB where the speech took place or in the broadast suite, in either case difficult to do accidentally, especially repeatedly.
              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

I think Fox News is far, far more biased than CNN could conceivably ever be.
                The Ball Mall, LLC: Your Central Ohio Source for Used and Recovered Golf Balls.

Comment

Originally posted by Ballguy
                  I think Fox News is far, far more biased than CNN could conceivably ever be.
                  Why, because Fox News deliberately soft-pedaled their coverage of Hussein's Iraq for years just to maintain their news bureau there?

Oh wait, that was CNN's chief news executive Eason Jordan that did that.

Or is it because Fox News' chief news executive claimed at an international journalism forum that American soldiers are in the habit of murdering journalists?

Oh wait, that was CNN's chief news executive Eason Jordan running his biased mouth again. A week before he was fired from CNN.

Get your head out of your butt about media bias and where it is nurtured, Mister Ballguy.

-dale

Comment

[QUOTE=dalem]Why, because Fox News deliberately soft-pedaled their coverage of Hussein's Iraq for years just to maintain their news bureau there?

Oh wait, that was CNN's chief news executive Eason Jordan that did that.

Or is it because Fox News' chief news executive claimed at an international journalism forum that American soldiers are in the habit of murdering journalists?

Oh wait, that was CNN's chief news executive Eason Jordan running his biased mouth again. A week before he was fired from CNN.

Get your head out of your butt about media bias and where it is nurtured, Mister Ballguy.

Well, look who has his own biases. Here is my riposte.

A study by the Project for Excellence in Journalism in 2005 found that, in covering the Iraq War in 2004, 73% of Fox News stories included editorial opinions, compared with 29% on MSNBC and 2% on CNN. The same report found Fox less likely than CNN to present multiple points of view. On the other hand, it found Fox more transparent about its sources.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10004302/ :Read

A news article in October 2004 by Carl Cameron, chief political correspondent of Fox News, containing three fabricated quotes attributed to Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry. The quotes included: "Women should like me! I do manicures", "Didn't my nails and cuticles look great?" and "I'm metrosexual [Bush's] a cowboy". Fox News retracted the story and apologized, citing a "jest" that became published through "fatigue and bad judgement, not malice."

On November 2, 2005, as 4,000 people in Detroit paid their final respects to civil rights hero Rosa Parks during the four hours of her funeral ceremony, Fox News devoted just 23 minutes of air time to live coverage, compared with 108 minutes of coverage on CNN and 100 on MSNBC. [24] In place of Parks' funeral Fox News featured (among other things) an extensive discussion, complete with visuals, of the top-five ranked celebrities from In Touch Weekly magazine's "Best Cleavage in Hollywood" poll.

An opinion piece on the Hutton Inquiry decision, in which John Gibson said the BBC had "a frothing-at-the-mouth anti-Americanism that was obsessive, irrational and dishonest" and that the BBC reporter, Andrew Gilligan, "insisted on air that the Iraqi Army was heroically repulsing an incompetent American Military" [22]. In reviewing viewer complaints, Ofcom (the United Kingdom's statutory broadcasting regulator) ruled that Fox News had breached the program code in three areas: "respect for truth", "opportunity to take part", and "personal view programmes opinions expressed must not rest upon false evidence". Fox News admitted that Gilligan had not actually said the words that John Gibson appeared to attribute to him; OfCom rejected the claim that it was intended to be a paraphrase. (See Ofcom complaint, response and ruling). In June 2004, CEO Roger Ailes responded to some criticism with rebuttal in an online column for the Wall Street Journal ([23]), claiming that Fox's critics intentionally confuse opinion shows such as The O'Reilly Factor with regular news coverage. Ailes claimed that Fox News has broken stories which turned out harmful to Republicans and the Republican Party, stating "Fox News is the network that broke George W. Bush's DUI four days before the election" as an example (the story was broken by then-Fox affiliate WPXT in Portland, Maine).

Comment

And nice info on Jordan

He resigned in 2005.

He received two Emmy Awards, two Peabody Awards, and a Dupont-Columbia Award

On February 11, 2005, Jordan resigned to "prevent CNN from being unfairly tarnished by the controversy over conflicting accounts of my recent remarks regarding the alarming number of journalists killed in Iraq." The right wing of the blogosphere played a crucial part in achieving his resignation, keeping the story going when it was not being covered by the mainstream media

In November 2004 at the News Xchange conference in Portugal, Jordan claimed that United States armed forces were arresting and torturing non-coalition Arabic journalists in Iraq. He also claimed that American troops were intentionally killing these journalists. [1] That month, U.S. forces detained al-Arabiya reporter Abdel Kader al-Saadi for 11 days without explanation during U.S.-led attacks on Fallujah. [2] The U.S. has twice dropped bombs on Al Jazeera offices in Afghanistan and Iraq and on November 22, 2005, Britain's Daily Mirror carried a story on the minutes of a meeting between George Bush and Tony Blair in which the U.S. president appeared to propose bombing Al Jazeera headquarters in Qatar. The meeting between the two leaders took place during the height of the first battle for Fallujah.

Comment

1. Learn how to use the Quote function.

2. That link doesn't point to where you think it does. Regardless, I am not claiming that Fox is not biased, I am simply countering your claim that it is tremendously more biased than CNN. CNN leans left, Fox News leans right.

-dale

Comment

It does point to where I think it does.

Comment

And nice info on Jordan

He resigned in 2005.

He received two Emmy Awards, two Peabody Awards, and a Dupont-Columbia Award

On February 11, 2005, Jordan resigned to "prevent CNN from being unfairly tarnished by the controversy over conflicting accounts of my recent remarks regarding the alarming number of journalists killed in Iraq." The right wing of the blogosphere played a crucial part in achieving his resignation, keeping the story going when it was not being covered by the mainstream media

In November 2004 at the News Xchange conference in Portugal, Jordan claimed that United States armed forces were arresting and torturing non-coalition Arabic journalists in Iraq. He also claimed that American troops were intentionally killing these journalists. [1] That month, U.S. forces detained al-Arabiya reporter Abdel Kader al-Saadi for 11 days without explanation during U.S.-led attacks on Fallujah. [2] The U.S. has twice dropped bombs on Al Jazeera offices in Afghanistan and Iraq and on November 22, 2005, Britain's Daily Mirror carried a story on the minutes of a meeting between George Bush and Tony Blair in which the U.S. president appeared to propose bombing Al Jazeera headquarters in Qatar. The meeting between the two leaders took place during the height of the first battle for Fallujah.
                            Actually the remarks that exposed his point of view were made in Davos, Switzerland, I believe. Maybe he made them a lot. But you are correct - he didn't resign a week after that, but a month.

-dale

Comment

It does point to where I think it does.
                              An article about O'reilly as opposed to the source of the MSNBC study?

-dale

Comment

Working...
                              X