French TV boss admits censoring riot coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French TV boss admits censoring riot coverage

One of France's leading TV news executives has admitted censoring his coverage of the riots in the country for fear of encouraging support for far-right politicians.

Jean-Claude Dassier, the director general of the rolling news service LCI, said the prominence given to the rioters on international news networks had been "excessive" and could even be fanning the flames of the violence.

Mr Dassier said his own channel, which is owned by the private broadcaster TF1, recently decided not to show footage of burning cars.

"Politics in France is heading to the right and I don't want rightwing politicians back in second, or even first place because we showed burning cars on television," Mr Dassier told an audience of broadcasters at the News Xchange conference in Amsterdam today.

http://www.writewing.org/

Jean-Claude Dassier, the director general of the rolling news service LCI, said the prominence given to the rioters on international news networks had been "excessive" and could even be fanning the flames of the violence.
    Thats what i thought seeing CNN reports.
    Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Interesting post, 132.

Maybe you can stop by the 'Intros' forum and, well, INTRO yourself.

Comment

I guess that this validates the oft quoted principle that "freedom of the press is limited to those who own one". :)
        Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Comment

hey I work on a printing press....does that count?
          Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Working...
          X