Trouble in France?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble in France?

Naaaahh....I'm sure they got it covered...what with being so much better than the United States and all.

AUBERVILLIERS, France - Widespread riots across impoverished areas of France took a malevolent turn in a ninth night of violence, with youths torching an ambulance and stoning medical workers coming to the aid of a sick person. Authorities arrested more than 250 people, an unprecedented sweep since the beginning of the unrest.

Bands of youths also burned a nursery school, warehouses and nearly 900 cars overnight as the violence spread from the restive Paris suburbs to towns around France. The U.S. warned Americans against taking trains to the airport through the affected areas.

At the nursery school in Acheres, west of Paris, part of the roof was caved in, childrens' photos stuck to blackened walls, and melted plastic toys littered the floor.

The town had been previously untouched by the violence. Some residents demanded that the army be deployed, or that citizens rise up and form militias. At the school gate, the mayor tried to calm tempers.

"We are not going to start militias," Mayor Alain Outreman said. "You would have to be everywhere."

Fires and other incidents were reported in Lille, Toulouse, Rouen and elsewhere on the second night of unrest in areas beyond metropolitan Paris. An incendiary device was tossed at the wall of a synagogue in Pierrefitte, northwest of Paris, where electricity went out after a burning car damaged an electrical pole.

"This is dreadful, unfortunate. Who did this? Against whom?" Naima Mouis, a hospital worker in Suresnes, asked while looking at the hulk of her burned-out car.

On Saturday morning, more than 1,000 people took part in a silent march in one of the worst-hit suburbs, Aulnay-sous-Bois, filing past burned-out cars to demand calm. One banner read: "No to violence." Car torchings have become a daily fact in France's tough suburbs, with about 100 each night.

The Interior Ministry said nearly 900 vehicles were burned throughout France from Friday night to Saturday morning, most in the Paris area.

Arrests were also up sharply, with more than 250 people detained overnight, nearly all in the Paris area, said national police spokesman Patrick Hamon. Police deployed in smaller teams and used a helicopter to track bands of youths going from attack to attack, he said.

Police had made just 78 arrests in the Paris region the previous night.

The violence — sparked after the Oct. 27 accidental electrocution of two teenagers who believed police were chasing them in Seine-Saint-Denis — has laid bare discontent simmering in France's poor suburbs ringing big cities. Those areas are home to large populations of African Muslim immigrants and their children living in low-income housing projects marked by high unemployment, crime and despair.

Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin oversaw a Cabinet meeting Saturday to evaluate the situation.

The persistence of the violence prompted the American and Russian governments to advise citizens visiting Paris to avoid the suburbs, where authorities were struggling to gain control of the worst rioting in at least a decade.

An attack this week on a female bus passenger highlighted the savage nature of some of the violence. The woman, in her 50s and on crutches, was doused with an inflammable liquid and set afire after passengers were forced to leave the bus, blocked by burning objects on the road, judicial officials said.

Late Friday in Meaux, east of Paris, youths prevented firefighters from evacuating a sick person from an apartment in a housing project, pelting them with stones and torching the awaiting ambulance, an Interior Ministry officer said. The officer, not authorized to speak publicly, asked not to be named.

"I'm not able to sleep at night because you never know when a fire might break out," said Mammed Chukri, 36, a Kurdish immigrant from northern Iraq living near a burned carpet warehouse. "I have three children and I live in a five-story building. If a fire hit, what would I do?"

A national police spokesman, Patrick Hamon, said there appeared to be no coordination between gangs in the various riot-hit suburbs. He said, however, that neighborhood youths were communicating between themselves using cell phone text messaging or e-mails to arrange meeting points and alert each other to police.
    ___
    Associated Press writers John Leicester, Elaine Ganley and Angela Doland in Paris contributed to this report.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

From the article, it sounds like The trouble is caused by muslims. More good PR for the muslims and their "peaceful" religion. In responce people carry banners that say,"No to violence". Yeah, good luck with that. Maybe Isreal should try that approach to curb suicide bombings.
    They have people wh do not know what to do when their home is on fire, and the police say one thing and immediatley contradict themselves. Come on Mr Hamon, using cell phones to arrange meetings and alerting each other to police IS coordination.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
      An attack this week on a female bus passenger highlighted the savage nature of some of the violence. The woman, in her 50s and on crutches, was doused with an inflammable liquid and set afire after passengers were forced to leave the bus, blocked by burning objects on the road, judicial officials said.
      WOW, that is some ****ed up ****. Gives people an idea of what (the religion of peace) they're dealing with.

Comment

So I guess this means France's way of dealing with things isn't working either? Wow...and I thought they had all the perfect answers. What we going to do to help our poor "allies" out? I know, let's send FEMA.

Comment

Ignore a problem long enough and it will come up and bite you in the rear end eventually. Tolerance usually doesn't work if they are completely intolerant of you and your society. Saying there isn't a problem and clicking your heels three times isn't going to make this go away.
          F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

"We are not going to start militias," Mayor Alain Outreman said. "You would have to be everywhere."
            Assuming this is an accurate and complete quote, this seems to illustrate the Euro view of public defense and that I despise so much. "Don't do anything - you'd just end up having to do things."

I wish them luck.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
              I wish them luck.
              Indeed. With that kind of attitude they are sure as heck going to need all the luck they can get
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

If you live in France, and are rich enough to buy your right to protect yourself, get a gun now...
                No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

They are too democratic.

It is what, day 10 now, and still they just have police dealing with it?

Day 1 should have seen the Army already.

Comment

It'd more like naivety or arrogance, I don't know which. Besides, I'm always a little weary about using the army in a domestic setting.
                    F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Army? french army? what is that?

Comment

Originally posted by BenRoethig
                        It'd more like naivety or arrogance, I don't know which. Besides, I'm always a little weary about using the army in a domestic setting.

Im not weary at all about that.

Especially since it is a Capital city, the capital city in fact.

and it is Historical. After day 2, no army is disgusting.
                        and yes, the French do have a army.

Comment

Originally posted by Thongurf
                          Army? french army? what is that?
                          It's this...thing that has a lot of top-flight equipment and the owner has the occasional political will to actually use it. Not to defend it's own law-abiding citizens of course.

Comment

It's this...thing that has a lot of top-flight equipment and the owner has the occasional political will to actually use it. Not to defend it's own law-abiding citizens of course.
                            Now let's be fair. I myself am ignorant of French law regarding the use of its national military within its own borders. We didn't like it when uppity Eurotrash were telling us what was legal and illegal about using National Guard troops in Louisiana - I'm sure we sound equally abrasive when we make similar comments.

Here endeth the preaching. ;)

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
                              Now let's be fair. I myself am ignorant of French law regarding the use of its national military within its own borders. We didn't like it when uppity Eurotrash were telling us what was legal and illegal about using National Guard troops in Louisiana - I'm sure we sound equally abrasive when we make similar comments.

Here endeth the preaching. ;)

-dale
                              *bashfully stubbing my toe in the dirt* Oh very well....

I'll retract only the last sentence though

Comment

Working...
                              X