Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Quotes

POST YOUR FAVORITE QUOTES RELATING TO ANYTHING

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Why is it immoral for you to desire, but moral for others to do so? Why is it immoral to produce a value and keep it, but moral to give it away? And if it is not moral for you to keep a value, why is it moral for others to accept it? If you are selfless and virtuous when you give it, are they not selfish and vicious when they take it?
    Ayn Rand

It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.
    Ayn Rand

Only government can take perfectly good paper, cover it with perfectly good ink and make the combination worthless.
    Milton Friedman

The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.
    James Madison

We are fighting for the inalienable right of human kind, black or white, Christian or not, left, right or merely indifferent, to be free. Free to raise a family in love and hope. Free to earn a living and be rewarded by your own efforts. Free not to bend your knee to any man in fear. Free to be you so long as being you does not impair the freedom of others. That's what we're fighting for. And that's a battle worth fighting.
    -PM Tony Blair

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
    -Barry Goldwater

Only a coward supports gun control, you know how to stop car jacking? Shoot the carjacker. If someone is going to kill me for my Buick, I'm gonna shoot until I'm out of ammo, and then I'll call 911.
    -Ted Nugent
    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

HUSBAND, n. One who, having dined, is charged with the care of the plate.
      Your look more lost than a bastard child on fathers day.

Comment

NO Bastard has won a wra by dying for his country.
        He won the war by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country!

General George S Patton

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Ask not what the country can do for you,
          Ask what you can do for your country.

John F Kennedy

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Freidrick Nitschke

One death is a tradgedy. A million deaths is a statistic

Josef Stalin

If we are not victorious, then let no man return alive!

Gen George S Patton, on the relief of Bastogne

The most difficult thing about planning against the Americans, is that they do not read their own doctrine, and they would feel no particular obligtion to follow it if they did.

Fleet Admiral Sergei I. Gorshkov.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature who can never be free except made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill

It is the unconquerable nature of man and not the nature of the weapon he uses that ensures victory.

General George S. Patton

With two thousand years of examples behind us we have no excuse, when fighting, for not fighting well.

T.E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

You have never really lived, until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know...

Author Unknown(i believe the author to be Hemingway)

It is not the big armies that win battles, it is the good ones.

Marshall-General Maurice de Saxe

There is nothing so pleasing as to be shot at by one’s enemy without result.

Sir Winston L. S. Churchill

War is the mother of everything.

Heraclitus

War is nothing but the continuation of politics with the admixture of other means.

Karl von Clausowitz

The most persistent sound which reverbrates through man’s history is the beating of war drums.

Arthur Koestler

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.

Robert E. Lee

There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell.

General William T. Sherman

The quickest way of ending a war is to lose it.

George Orwell

In peace sons bury fathers, but war violates the order of nature, and fathers bury sons.

Heroditus

You Americans do not realize what formidable warships you have in these four battleships. We have concluded after careful analysis that these magnificent ships are in fact the most to be feared in your entire naval arsenal. When engaged in combat we could throw everything we have at those ships and all our firepower would bounce off or be of little effect. Then when we are exhausted, we will detect you coming over the horizon and then you will sink us.

Fleet Admiral Sergie I. Gorshkov, Soviet navy CINC, 1985

Comment

"I'm going to ride that G*damned white[Emperors] horse." Adm Bull Halsey when asked the first thing he was going to do when japan surrendered.
              Your look more lost than a bastard child on fathers day.

Comment

Nuts!

General McAullife

We hereby declare of the raising of a Jewish state in the land of Israel, it shall be called Israel.

David Ben Gurion
                Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

These are kinda longer than most quotes, but I really like em. I'll have to dig up my other quotes from wherever I put them.

You heare that in our toune are both dogges, kine and horses. And if wee should in the end want these, yet hath every one of vs a left arme to eate, and reserve the righte arme to beat the tyrant and the rest of you which are his bloody ministers from our walles but if at the last, our force shall not bee strong enough, we will never giue over the defense of the libertie of our countrie, choosing rather when wee are at the verie word to set our Towne in fier, then that it shold [in] any way be gainefull vnto you and we become your slaves. - Protestant townsmen of Leiden, Holland, in reply to a request for surrender from the besiegeing Roman Catholic Spanish army - 1572
                  If only modern day protestants would resist the apothesis like these brave folk.

And far in the future (I see it well, and born of such days as these),
                  There lies an Australia invincible, and mistress of all her seas;
                  With monuments standing on hill and head, where her sons shall point with pride,
                  To the names of Australia's bravest dead, carved under the words "Here died."
                  - Excerpt from Here Died, Hnry Lawson
                  I'm a big fan of Lawsons poetry, btw. Check it out if you like nationalistic stirring stuff. (some of it is quite racist, but he did live around the turn of the century).

Also, this is one of my favourite poems ever. It's about ANZAC Day, probably the one national holiday that Aussies actually respect. I mean, it gets more and more of us out of our beds at 5 in the morning for the dawn service each year, and reaffirms our commitment to the monarchy and the flag for another year.

I swear reading it still brings a tear to my eye.

Sir

Sir - would it help if I shed a tear
                  I swear it’s the first time since this time last year
                  My spine is a tingle - my throat is all dry
                  As I stand to attention for all those who died

I watch the flag dancing half way down the pole
                  That damn bugle player sends chills to my soul
                  I feel the pride and the sorrow - there’s nothing the same
                  As standing to attention on ANZAC Day

So Sir - on behalf of the young and the free
                  Will you take a message when you finally do leave
                  To your mates that are lying from Tobruk to the Somme
                  The legend of your bravery will always live on

I’ve welcomed Olympians back to our shore
                  I’ve cheered baggy green caps and watched Wallabies score
                  But when I watch you marching (Sir) in that parade
                  I know these are the memories that never will fade

So Sir - on behalf of the young and the free
                  Will you take a message when you finally do leave
                  It’s the least we can do (Sir) to repay the debt
                  We’ll always remember you - Lest We Forget

Damian (Dib) Morgan 1998
                  SWANSEA 'TILL I DIE! - CARN THE CROWS!

Rule Britannia, No Surrender

Staff Cadet in the Australian Army Reserve.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Originally posted by Ziska
                    If only modern day protestants would resist the apothesis like these brave folk.
                    Damn, I live right next to Leiden, and I can tell you for sure, people in there have lost their bravery :LOL

Anyway:
                    "Use your Atomic bomb, I shall use my handgrenade!" - Mao Tse-dung

Comment

the rest of it should read "and die in a most pathetic fasion".

Comment

THE FOUNDING FATHERS ON GUN CONTROL:

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson.

“(The Constitution preserves) the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." -James Madison.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria.

"...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them." -Thomas Paine.

"To disarm the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them..." -George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 380.

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." -Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined...The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun.: -Patrick Henry.

"To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..." -Richard Henry Lee writing in Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic (1787-1788).

"The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms." -Samuel Adams, debates & Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87.

"Arms in the hands of citizens (may) be used at individual discretion...in private self defense..." -John Adams, A defense of the Constitutions of the Government of the USA, 471 (1788).

"...the people have a right to keep and bear arms." -Patrick Henry and George Mason, Elliot, Debates at 185.

Now, lets look at the Militia. . .what is “The Militia”? It is not the National Guard, which is a creation of the early 20th Century and did not exist in any form in the late 18th Century. Federal law defines it thus:

"The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age..." -Title 10, Section 331 of the U.S. Code.

The Founding Fathers knew full well what the Militia is:

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials." -George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426.

"A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves...and include all men capable of bearing arms." -Richard Henry Lee, Additional Letters from the Federal Farmer (1788) at 169.

And what is the purpose of the Militia, or the armed citizenry? The Founders believed it was a vital tool of the people at large to keep the power of Government in check.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no recourse left but in the exertion of that original right of self defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government..."-Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist (#28).

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." -George Washington.

"As civil rulers, not having their duty to the people duly before them, may attempt to tyrannize, and as the military forces which must be occasionally raised to defend our country, might pervert their power to the injury of their fellow citizens, the people are confirmed by the article in their right to keep and bear their private arms." -Tench Coxe, Remarks on the First Part of the Amendments to the Federal Constitution, under the pseudonym "A Pennsylvanian" in the Philadelphia Federal Gazette, June 18, 1989 at col. 1.

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms has been recognized by the General Government; but the best security of that right after all is, the military spirit, that taste for martial exercises, which has always distinguished the free citizens of these States...Such men form the best barrier to the liberties of America." -gazette of the United States, October 14, 1789.

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. the supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States." -Noah Webster, An Examination into the Leading Principles of the federal Constitution (1787) in Pamphlets to the Constitution of the United States (P. Ford, 1888).

Comment

"The First Amendment has erected a wall of separation between church and state, but that wall is a one directional wall; it keeps the government from running the church, but it makes sure Christian principles will always stay in government."

-Thomas Jefferson, Jan 1, 1802, address to the Danbury Baptists

"An economy hampered by restrictive tax rates will never produce enough revenue to balance the budget - just as it will never produce enough jobs or enough profits."

-John F. Kennedy

"Those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

-George Santayana

"God grants liberty only to those who love it and are always ready to guard and defend it."

-Daniel Webster

"The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil Constitution, are worth defending at all hazards."

-Samuel Adams

"Any day you're free is a beautiful day."

-ex-P.O.W. Air Force Col. Jim Lamar, Daily Texan, pg. 1, 1985

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

-Edmund Burke

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

-Aldous Huxley

"It is a sin to be silent when it is your duty to protest."

-Abraham Lincoln

"The Constitution shall never be construed . . . to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms."

-Samuel Adams

"Peace without justice is tyranny."

- old Chinese proverb

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege."

-Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878

Comment

Great thread Praxus! :)
                            No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                            I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                            even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                            He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

:)

"The First Amendment has erected a wall of separation between church and state, but that wall is a one directional wall; it keeps the government from running the church, but it makes sure Christian principles will always stay in government."
                              Keep in mind by "Christian Principles" he was not talking about being against abortian and allowing the ten commandments in Alabama.

He was not a Christian per se, he believe that there was a God but no triniaty(of course Father, Son, Holy Spirit). He also believed that God created everything but he then either abanded it or choose not to interfer. He believed that man only through reason and the rational persuit of science could man further their lives.
                              Last edited by Praxus; 10 Nov 03,, 23:39.

Comment

Working...
                              X