Nike Missile Batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nike Missile Batteries?

Well, this is kinda weird but I have to ask..

I was just fiddling around with Google Earth on the city of San Frisco, and came across several placemarkers as Nike SF-89, Nike SF-87 launcher. I kept ignoring these until I came across Nike Missile Site on Angel Island.

Now please... can anyone please give me some specific info as to what kind of missiles they are(SAMs?).

After some research I came across another fact that LA has its own set of nike missiles termed as LA-16 and so on.

http://tinypic.com/egbble.jpg

Self-control is the chief element in self-respect, and self-respect is the chief element in courage.

Was poking around on google, it looks like there some type of U.S Coldwar era ICBM/Air defense system. Missiles carried a variety of warheads including high explosive shrapnel and 30Kilo ton nuclear warheads.

http://www.acme.com/jef/nike/

http://ed-thelen.org/

Comment

There air defense missiles, but from what I heard they were pulled out wheren't they? Interesting.

Comment

freaking morons, pin pointing the locations of Air-defense missiles, where does it stop? At Eric Schmidts Bathroom?
        A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
          freaking morons, pin pointing the locations of Air-defense missiles, where does it stop? At Eric Schmidts Bathroom?
          LOL!!

Obviously you havent seen stuff on Google Earth. You can view F-22s parked at Nellis and Edwards AFB in the USA. Moreover, now the top-secret Area 51 isnt so "secret" anymore.

High resolution satellite imagery, free of cost for terrorists.
          Self-control is the chief element in self-respect, and self-respect is the chief element in courage.

Comment

Actually, Ive been using Google Earth for a while. Thats the problem, the terrorists now can even view satellite imageries with maps superimposed on it, giving them directions right up to their a$$es.
            A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

RE: Nike Missile Batteries?

> Jay
              > freaking morons, pin pointing the locations of Air-defense missiles
              The only people of whom this was a secret to was the US taxpayer! There are so many documents which are considered classified or secret of which all foreign countries of which are interested in have copies of.
              During the height of the Cold War, some of the most accurate maps of Moscow were printed by the CIA! Dispite the Soviet Government placing street signs in the wrong direction to confuse anyone who did not live in the area. US Embassy staff had maps so they could accurately navigate.

The Nike Ajax SAM (and later the Nike Hercules) was kept as long as Soviet bombers were the primary threat, once missiles became the primary threat need for the missile was reduced. The Nike Ajax was the most accurate of America's first generation SAMs. The missiles were removed in the mid to late 1970's.

The Nike Hercules had both a high explosive as well as nuclear warhead. If a bomber had armed its nuclear bomb and the bomber was hit by a SAM, when the bomb fell to the right altitude the bomber would explode. To correct this problem the Nike Hercules had a nuclear warhead to burn up the nuclear bomb before it could explode.

Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by avon1944
                > Jay
                The only people of whom this was a secret to was the US taxpayer! There are so many documents which are considered classified or secret of which all foreign countries of which are interested in have copies of.
                During the height of the Cold War, some of the most accurate maps of Moscow were printed by the CIA! Dispite the Soviet Government placing street signs in the wrong direction to confuse anyone who did not live in the area. US Embassy staff had maps so they could accurately navigate.

The Nike Ajax SAM (and later the Nike Hercules) was kept as long as Soviet bombers were the primary threat, once missiles became the primary threat need for the missile was reduced. The Nike Ajax was the most accurate of America's first generation SAMs. The missiles were removed in the mid to late 1970's.

The Nike Hercules had both a high explosive as well as nuclear warhead. If a bomber had armed its nuclear bomb and the bomber was hit by a SAM, when the bomb fell to the right altitude the bomber would explode. To correct this problem the Nike Hercules had a nuclear warhead to burn up the nuclear bomb before it could explode.

Adrian
                Nice info dude. Thanks. :)

I wonder where would I find satellite pictures of Nuclear Missile Silos..

Comment

Originally posted by avon1944
                  > Jay

Adrian

What a waste. I would think we might have just modified the Nike to defend against ICBMs, linking it to a battle management radar with it's nuclear warhead. Evidently within the CIA there was much controversy over the Russian SAM system of nuclear armed SA-5s, and later the SA-10s, which were rumored to be linked to a "battle management" system would allow a limited ABM capability, and William T Lee wrote about it.

William Lee, The ABM Treaty Charade: A Study in Elite Illusion and Delusion

I wonder if we will put THAAD missiles in some of these old bases?

http://missilethreat.com/law/abmtreaty/vulnerable.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/093...lance&n=283155
                  Last edited by Sandman; 04 Dec 05,, 04:27.

Comment

MEdium to long range airdefense surface to air missles, There was both nuclear and non-nuclear warheads equipted. The nike 2 also had a intermidate range ground attack version. As far as having them incorperated into an icbm defense system it would take some serious upgrading of the missle they weren't terribly accurate but instead relied on their large yeild to harm formations of airplanes.

As for showing their locations.... They've a 30+ mile range and hardened silo's at the time they were built you either had to right atop them with a plane or hit near them with an icbm They'd shoot down a plane before it went right overtop and If an icbm happened it'd take out the city they were "protecting". I question the wisdom of the nuclear version anyways because you've got an airburst of 30 kilotons near a large populated area.

Comment

Working...
                    X