• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The president's speech

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/opinion...eblog/home.htm

10/7/05

The president's speech

I was in the hall at the Ronald Reagan Building (irony: Washington's largest federal building is named after the president who said government was the problem not the solution) when George W. Bush delivered his speech to the National Endowment for Democracy. It was originally scheduled for September 11 and postponed because of Hurricane Katrina.

It was an excellent speech, well received by the audience. I won't attempt a complete analysis, but I think it did three things Bush has not done before.

First, he identified the source of the terrorism we are fighting against. "Some call this evil Islamic radicalism; others, militant jihadism; still others, Islamofascism." (Score one for Christopher Hitchens, who I believe invented the term Islamofascism.) Of course Bush went on to say, quite rightly, "Whatever it's called, this ideology is very different from the religion of Islam." To the best of my memory, Bush previously has not been willing to describe what we are fighting against as "Islamic" radicalism, presumably out of fear of angering Muslims or of providing fodder for claiming that we are fighting a war against Islam.

Maybe rightly so. But I think it's better, when you're a war leader, to specify with particularity what you are fighting against. We're not fighting against unfocused terrorism or people who set off bombs just because they like setting off bombs. We're fighting against people with specific totalitarian goals. Immediately after the sentences I've quoted, Bush made it specific: "This form of radicalism exploits Islam to serve a violent, political vision: the establishment, by terrorism and subversion and insurgency, of a totalitarian empire that denies all political and religious freedom. These extremists distort the idea of jihad into a call for terrorist murder against Christians and Jews and Hindus—and also against Muslims from other traditions, who they regard as heretics." Good stuff.

Second, Bush provided a narrative framework for what is going on in Iraq. It is not, as the mainstream media tend to portray it, a story of endless and continuous violence against which we have no defense and are prosecuting no offense. On the contrary,

Our coalition, along with our Iraqi allies, is moving forward with a comprehensive, specific military plan. Area by area, city by city, we're conducting offensive operations to clear out enemy forces, and leaving behind Iraqi units to prevent the enemy from returning. Within these areas, we're working for tangible improvements in the lives of Iraqi citizens. And we're aiding the rise of an elected government that unites the Iraqi people against extremism and violence. This work involves great risk for Iraqis and for Americans and coalition forces. Wars are not won without sacrifice–and this war will require more sacrifice, more time, and more resolve. . .

Some observers look at the job ahead and adopt a self-defeating pessimism. It is not justified. With every random bombing and with every funeral of a child, it becomes more clear that the extremists are not patriots, or resistance fighters–they are murderers at war with the Iraqi people themselves.

In contrast, the elected leaders of Iraq are proving to be strong and steadfast. By any standard or precedent of history, Iraq has made incredible political progress–from tyranny, to liberation, to national elections, to the writing of a constitution, in the space of 2½ years. With our help, the Iraqi military is gaining new capabilities and new confidence with every passing month. At the time of our Fallujah operations 11 months ago, there were only a few Iraqi Army battalions in combat. Today there are more than 80 Iraqi Army battalions fighting the insurgency alongside our forces. Progress isn't easy, but it is steady. And no fair-minded person should ignore, deny, or dismiss the achievements of the Iraqi people.

Here Bush was echoing the briefing that Gen. David Petraeus delivered at the Pentagon yesterday and that I saw him repeat at the American Enterprise Institute later yesterday afternoon. General Petraeus has recently returned from Iraq, where he was in charge of training Iraqi forces. He noted, as previously reported in the press, that Iraqi forces have only one battalion that we rate as Level 1—able to fight on its own. But he added that there are "more than 36" battalions rated at Level 2—able to fight "in the lead" with guidance from embedded American troops, and that there are "more than 80" battalions rated at Level 3—able to "fight alongside" American troops. This is a huge increase from the situation as of July 1, 2004, when there were evidently no Level 1 or Level 2 Iraqi troops and not nearly so many Level 3.

Petraeus did not say everything was what we would like it to be. "Level 2 and above is the data point we look at," he said—Iraqi troops able to take the lead. By his numbers there are 30,000-some troops now, enough to take the lead in the Tal Afar offensive, for one. But the numbers are presumably not static. The clear implication of Petraeus's summary is that we have made much progress in training Iraqi troops and that we are positioned to make much more progress in the months ahead. The situation is not static, with our troops and Iraqis just sitting there taking casualties. The situation is dynamic, and the movement is in our favor.

I am fond of comparing the course of this military struggle with the course of World War II. In World War II, President Roosevelt did an excellent job, even while the United States was in retreat and American forces were performing poorly on the battlefield, of showing the American people what progress was being made and what was being done to make more progress. President Bush in the past year has not done such a good job at this. In his speech today he did. He provided a narrative framework, and General Petraeus and other military leaders have provided supporting evidence and detail for that framework. I think if you go back over the history of World War II you will find that President Roosevelt also from time to time faltered in providing such a narrative framework. But overall he did it well, and so did President Bush today.

The third interesting new thing in this speech was Bush's description of what could happen if we fail in Iraq:

Some observers also claim that America would be better off by cutting our losses and leaving Iraq now. This is a dangerous illusion, refuted with a simple question: Would the United States and other free nations be more safe, or less safe, with Zarqawi and bin Laden in control of Iraq, its people, and its resources?

I am struck by the sublime indifference of most critics of Bush's Iraq policy to the fate of the Iraqi people. They are totally unexultant about the overthrow of a vicious dictatorship and seem to have no interest at all in what would happen to Iraqis if we leave suddenly. Hitchens has argued persuasively that no one deserves the label of liberal who is so indifferent to whether others live in freedom or under tyranny. In this passage Bush reminded Americans more hardheadedly about our own self-interest. But of course many of his critics are more interested in hurting Bush than they are in preventing the emergence of an anti-American tyranny in Iraq.

Posted at 8:00 AM EST by Michael Barone
    Full text of the speech found here

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0051006-3.html
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

I listened to the playback on Hugh Hewitt's show. Certainly one of W's best speeches and deliveries. If only he did this every week...

-dale

Comment

The defining factor is Al-Q's number two admiting in a recently disclosed letter that he is resigned to losing Afganistan and that Iraq is the center point in thier Jihad. He also supposedly requests funding from Zarqawi and critisises his methods of beheading civies and targeting Iraqi's stating them as hurtfull to the cause.

If this is all true, that means we are bleeding Al-Q dry of funds, but more importantly by abandoning Afganistan and focusing on Iraq they are reacting to America's moves and not the other way around which means WE are dictating the battle.
      Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Originally posted by smilingassassin
        The defining factor is Al-Q's number two admiting in a recently disclosed letter that he is resigned to losing Afganistan and that Iraq is the center point in thier Jihad. He also supposedly requests funding from Zarqawi and critisises his methods of beheading civies and targeting Iraqi's stating them as hurtfull to the cause.

If this is all true, that means we are bleeding Al-Q dry of funds, but more importantly by abandoning Afganistan and focusing on Iraq they are reacting to America's moves and not the other way around which means WE are dictating the battle.
        In other words, Iraq is a quagmire...for AQ

Comment

Originally posted by Leader
          In other words, Iraq is a quagmire...for AQ
          Hahaa! Good one! ;)
          Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Looking for work? Consider Al Qaeda...

I wonder when they are going to start posting to Monster.com?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051007/...RpBHNlYwM3NTc-

DUBAI (Reuters) - Al Qaeda has put job advertisements on the Internet asking for supporters to help put together its Web statements and video montages, an Arabic newspaper reported.

The London-based Asharq al-Awsat said on its Web site this week that al Qaeda had "vacant positions" for video production and editing statements, footage and international media coverage about militants in Iraq, the Palestinian territories, Chechnya and other conflict zones where militants are active.

The paper said the Global Islamic Media Front, an al Qaeda-linked Web-based organization, would "follow up with members interested in joining and contact them via email."

The paper did not say how applicants should contact the Global Islamic Media Front.

Al Qaeda supporters widely use the Internet to spread the group's statements through dozens of Islamist sites where anyone can post messages. Al Qaeda-linked groups also set up their own sites, which frequently have to move after being shut by Internet service providers.

The advertisements, however, could not be found on mainstream Islamist Web sites where al Qaeda and other affiliate groups post their statements.

Asharq al-Awsat said the advert did not specify salary amounts, but added: "Every Muslim knows his life is not his, since it belongs to this violated Islamic nation whose blood is being spilled. Nothing should take precedence over this."

The Front this week issued the second broadcast of a weekly Web news program called Voice of the Caliphate, which it says aims to combat anti-Qaeda "lies and propaganda" on major global and Arab television channels such as CNN and Al Jazeera.

Last month it issued an English-language video on the Internet called Jihad Hidden Camera which showed sniping and bombing attacks against U.S. forces in Iraq, and carried comical sound effects as well as laugh tracks.

Al Qaeda and other groups have increasingly turned to the Internet to win young Muslims over to their war against Western-backed governments in Arab and Muslim countries.

Islamist insurgents fighting U.S. forces and the U.S.-backed government in Iraq have often posted slick montages of their military activities, including beheadings of hostages, on the Internet.
            "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

I don't think this memo was approved by OBL before its release

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/124895.php

October 07, 2005

Top Ten Requirements For Employment With Al Qaeda

10. Must be eager to work with a dynamic group of diverse suicidal maniacs

9. Must be a "self-starter;" also, a "self-detonator"

8. Must be a "people person"

7. Absolutely no prima donnas! Whether it's fetching coffee or sawing off the head of a female schoolteacher, there are no "small tasks" at Al Qaeda, only "small workers"

6. Must have a good "phone voice"

5. Must be willing to relocate to Paradise on 24 hours notice

4. Qualified candidates should have 3-5 years experience with Excel, Java, Quicken, and rocket-propelled grenades

3. Special consideration will be given to any candidate who can fit a complete stinger missile system up his ass (we promise-- no giggling!)

2. Must not have already registered with Kelly Temps

...and the Number One Requirement for Employment With Al Qaeda...

1. Not a requirement but a perk: Every Friday is Hawaiian-Shirt-and-Crazy-Tie Day!!!

Comment

Originally posted by smilingassassin

Well I think the people in Iraq will be really really happy that the US makes their land a battlefield for the US paranoia.

Anybody ever wondered how a small terrorist organisation is suddenly able to do though many many murders, blow up though many bombs... ? Its like the palestinian terrosits all over again... Everything is blamed on them even if there is no real connection

Comment

10. Must be eager to work with a dynamic group of diverse suicidal maniacs
                  9. Must be a "self-starter;" also, a "self-detonator"
                  8. Must be a "people person"
                  7. Absolutely no prima donnas! Whether it's fetching coffee or sawing off the head of a female schoolteacher, there are no "small tasks" at Al Qaeda, only "small workers"
                  6. Must have a good "phone voice"
                  5. Must be willing to relocate to Paradise on 24 hours notice
                  4. Qualified candidates should have 3-5 years experience with Excel, Java, Quicken, and rocket-propelled grenades
                  3. Special consideration will be given to any candidate who can fit a complete stinger missile system up his ass (we promise-- no giggling!)
                  2. Must not have already registered with Kelly Temps
                  ...and the Number One Requirement for Employment With Al Qaeda...
                  1. Not a requirement but a perk: Every Friday is Hawaiian-Shirt-and-Crazy-Tie Day!!!
                  Dammit...

I lack a good phone voice and am registered with Kelly Temps...

Becoming an international terrorists is not half a easy at it used to be...

But they do have a good dental plan and an excellent retirement package...
                  To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Originally posted by Sombra
                    Well I think the people in Iraq will be really really happy that the US makes their land a battlefield for the US paranoia.
                    BS

Anybody ever wondered how a small terrorist organisation is suddenly able to do though many many murders, blow up though many bombs... ? Its like the palestinian terrosits all over again... Everything is blamed on them even if there is no real connection
                    I think you're the paranoid one.

Comment

Originally posted by shek
                      I wonder when they are going to start posting to Monster.com?
                      I think they already have, but under the name of my ex-employer. That company was absolutely run by insurgents!
                      ;)
                      "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by troung
                        Dammit...

I lack a good phone voice and am registered with Kelly Temps...

Becoming an international terrorists is not half a easy at it used to be...

But they do have a good dental plan and an excellent retirement package...
                        Think they get HazMat pay? I would hope that there would not be a waiting period for life insurance benefits to kick in.
                        "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

@ Leader

Sorry, I am not the one defending a clueless president who starts a senseless war in the name of freedom or a mandate of heaven, for oil, no existing WMDs,
                          and funny even if before the Iraq had no real connections to AQ now it s quite possible it has or is it only the name the people in Iraq are drawn to?

Already you are accusing the press to work for the enemy etc. Everybody who is not with me in this madness is against freedom , democracy blah blah..

You say you are winning. Well fine. In the beginning you had a more or less insignificant group of terrorists: AQ. They had a lucky day for them being able to hit the US in such a spectucalar way.

Suddenly AQ is everywhere . You are fighting how many people in Iraq 30.000? 5000? 1000? #

Hadn´t you won already a few years ago?

I wonder when you will build your own "dolchstoßlegende" Like :"we would have won if stayed longer in Iraq or if the "lefties" didn´t force us to leave earlier..." Future will tell

Comment

You are ignoring the part where the evidence seems to show that AQ is giving up Afghanistan and shoring up their efforts in Iraq. If true, that is called a victory for our side.

Anybody ever wondered how a small terrorist organisation is suddenly able to do though many many murders, blow up though many bombs... ?
                            Sure. It's called "state supported international terrrorism", and it's what the War on Terror is all about. Kill the leaders, make the battleground inhospitable to their forces by democratizing it and giving the people a stake in their own futures, dry up their funding, and put pressure on the remaining nations still actively or tacitly giving money and support to groups like AQ.

Its like the palestinian terrosits all over again... Everything is blamed on them even if there is no real connection
                            I have no idea what you mean by this. The Pal terrorists are funded by Iran and Syria.

-dale

Comment

@ Leader

Sorry, I am not the one defending a clueless president who starts a senseless war in the name of freedom or a mandate of heaven, for oil, no existing WMDs,
                              and funny even if before the Iraq had no real connections to AQ now it s quite possible it has or is it only the name the people in Iraq are drawn to?
                              Stop repeating crap that's been refuted hundreds of times on this site alone.

Already you are accusing the press to work for the enemy etc. Everybody who is not with me in this madness is against freedom , democracy blah blah..
                              stawman

You say you are winning. Well fine. In the beginning you had a more or less insignificant group of terrorists: AQ. They had a lucky day for them being able to hit the US in such a spectucalar way.

Suddenly AQ is everywhere . You are fighting how many people in Iraq 30.000? 5000? 1000? #

Hadn´t you won already a few years ago?
                              Who said we "won" the WoT a few years ago?

I wonder when you will build your own "dolchstoßlegende" Like :"we would have won if stayed longer in Iraq or if the "lefties" didn´t force us to leave earlier..." Future will tell
                              You're so FOS

Comment

Working...
                              X