IAF in favour of French or Russian aircraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ajaybhutani
    I m sorry i m still lost. detection range is known to vary with RCS. And whenever we compare the russian and american /french radars we make sure that we use same detection RCS.
    Simply stating that if the Russians will change scenario for one measurement, the Russians will do it for another measurement.
    Firstly i m not quite amused with the authenticity of the 20 km altitude for testing.
    Secondly its a known fact that R77 uses a much more powerful propellant and is heavier too. So its obvious for it to have a better range. I m unable to understand ur argument against it.
    imagine my shock when I found out about it. Why do you think all the Taiwanese intelligence use 50KM as the maximum effective range of R77?
    http://taiwansecurity.org/TT/TT-051000.htm

Sure, it's heavier, that's why it needs a more powerful propellant/greater fuel capacity to travel the same distance. Until we get the full technical specification, we will never know why AMRAAM (especially variant C) can go further with a smaller mass than R77 other than that the Americans have better technology (which is true).

The data also said that R-77's effective altitude is up to 25 KM, so I think there is nothing wrong with using 20KM for its scenario.

Comment

• Aviation week also reports the Mirage and Hornet mix for India.

Sounds weird to me since buying one type would end up being cheaper and Endangered, the Hornet is not ment for the Gorshkov, that is the already signed contract for the MiG-29K and the Hornet would be for the IAF. Also the Hornet is not ment to take off from stobar but catbar and the Gorgy is stobar.

The logic that the IAF is cool to the idea of a modernized Fulcrum which does not exist is flawed as the MiG-29K will exist in 2 years when it enters IN service and the K and the 35 will be the same fighter minus the potential for the 35 to have the 2d RD-33 3 series engine.

In sum the main idea is well sourced from aviation week, ie mix of two types but the rest of the article is DDM.

Comment

Working...
      X