• Show
Clear All

• Parting kiss sparks Sharia law furore

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.a...55E954,00.html

Quote:
    Parting kiss sparks Sharia law furore
    Marianne Kearney in Jakarta
    01oct05

A DEPARTING Javanese soldier and his Acehnese girlfriend have caused outrage in Aceh, with student groups calling for the two lovers to be flogged under Aceh's Sharia law.

The soldier – who had been based at the port at Lhokseumawe – was one of hundreds permanently withdrawing from the region as part of the peace deal between the Indonesian Government and local separatists.

Under encouragement from his commander, the Javanese soldier gave his weeping girlfriend a proper goodbye – passionately kissing her on the lips.

The kiss was recorded by a horde of waiting media covering the troop withdrawal, and subsequently broadcast on television and published in national newspapers.

Aceh's military commander, Major-General Supiadin Adisaputra, was forced to apologise, explaining it was a spontaneous kiss.

"This has caused a lot of embarrassment, especially because it involved a soldier," said Elvida, a representative of the Acehnese women's group Flowers. "A lot of people want the girl to be punished."

The Indonesian Muslim Student Union demonstrated outside the governor's office in Aceh's capital Banda Aceh on Tuesday, calling for the perpetrators to be flogged, a punishment meted out under Sharia law to adulterers.

A limited form of Sharia law was introduced in Aceh in 2001, but with the destruction of much of Aceh's infrastructure and law enforcement in the December 26 tsunami, Sharia law has only been enforced sporadically in parts of Aceh this year. Last month two people caught gambling were publicly flogged.

Observers say the well-publicised kiss has sparked renewed demands for Sharia law to be implemented again.

"The demand for Sharia is stronger, because it (the kiss) caused a lot of concern among the community, because they think, maybe, there will be public kissing everywhere," said Teugku Ahmad Haikal, from the non-government group NGO Forum.

The kiss was considered so outrageous local papers did not publish it, said Haikal, but many Acehnese had downloaded it from various websites, and it had become a hot topic of conversation.

With a flood of international aid workers entering the region after the tsunami, Aceh – particularly Banda Aceh – has become more open.

Many youths flout Sharia restrictions. Young women do not wear headscarves and unaccompanied young couples often meet in restaurants and cafes for dates, according to Elvida.

Many Acehnese hope Sharia law will be reintroduced across the province, not just to target small-time offences but as a way of ridding Aceh of rampant corruption, according to rights groups.
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Originally posted by troung
    "... it (the kiss) caused a lot of concern among the community, because they think, maybe, there will be public kissing everywhere,"
    Public Kissing Everywhere? Here is the photo from that link...I think it is sweet. I don't know anything about Aceh, but I think someone needs to send some copies of Romeo and Juliet over there.
    Attached Files
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

These rants don't surprise me. These "people" still have a medievial mindset.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree
        I agree

Comment

This has caused a lot of embarrassment, especially because it involved a soldier," said Elvida, a representative of the Acehnese women's group Flowers. "A lot of people want the girl to be punished."

Now how could you get upset at something like that it was his girl
          Last edited by Dreadnought; 05 Oct 05,, 13:52.
          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Wow...thats a lot of tongue for a public "goodbye" kiss. And the man should be flogged for tilting his head like a woman while kissing her.

Comment

This is disgraceful.

Kissing in Public?

It's just not cricket.

Oh heck, but then they don't play cricket!

So, I presume it is OK.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

TIME TO CHOP SOME HEADS!

-dale

Comment

Castrate them all.

The chap kissing, the chaps watching and the General for encouraging such horrifying moral debasing activity, even if it boosts the Morale.

Morals before Morale!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Well I must say this one article has put Indonesia's troubles with Aceh into context much better than anything else I've read.
                    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Extremely well put Parahaka, and no apply that same article to the war on terror.

Those are the crazy people we're trying to stop. Those people are like some kinda freakin' wacky Allah cult robots.

Comment

Damn, their religion sucks ass.

Comment

Those are the crazy people we're trying to stop. Those people are like some kinda freakin' wacky Allah cult robots.
                          Actually those laws have some real backing in that one province (Aceh). A sort of "red state".

Of course most people there in Aceh would love to flog a Javanese soldier regardless...

In the late 1990s the GAM actually turned down millions of dollars from AQ/OBL... just food for thought...
                          To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                            Extremely well put Parahaka, and no apply that same article to the war on terror.

Already have old bean, have you not noticed my thunderous silences in the 'War in Iraq' forums lately? ;)
                            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

"A sort of "red state"."

I find that rather offensive. You might want to rethink that kind of asinine comment.

Comment

Working...
                              X