Will SARS make a come back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
    I didn't know that. So they get the full tip? Or the establishment takes a cut? Didn't know barbers need a license.

Great man, you have a good heart.
    Barber colleges are accredited educational institutions. The students keep the full tip.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

I didn't know that. So they get the full tip? Or the establishment takes a cut? Didn't know barbers need a license.

Great man, you have a good heart.
      To qualify to take the California barber examinations for licensure, you must be at least 17 years old, and you must have completed at least the 10th grade. You should allow about 6 to 12 weeks for the Board to process your application and send you a scheduling letter regarding the next available examination dates.

The California Board of Barbering and Cosmetology requires the following school hours, depending on your license type. The Board does not accept Apprentice hours. Cosmetologist = 1600 hours, Barber = 1500 hours, Esthetician = 600 hours, Electrologist = 600 hours, Manicurist = 400 hours.

Comment

• There seems to be quite some confusion over which mask to wear and whether surgical is adequate or not.

American regulations are quite tight and meant for conditions when there is no shortage of masks. N95 grade masks are recommended in high as well as low risk environments.

Well, what do we do when there is a shortage of masks ? what is good enough

How to assess the level of risk ?

What is the efficacy of standard face masks compared to respirator masks in preventing COVID-type respiratory illnesses in primary care staff? | CEBM | Mar 24 2020

It is worth noting that guidance produced by the US Centres for Disease Control recommends respirator masks for both high- and low-risk encounters when patients are suspected of highly contagious and potentially serious conditions such as SARS. However, this guidance was likely based on the precautionary principle and probably did not anticipate the supply shortages currently faced by frontline staff.

We sought to inform guidance on the use of these different masks in primary care settings.
        FFP3 corresponds to N95

When do you need one ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	which kind of mask.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	1478778

Clearly ONLY if performing a procedure on an infected patient that results in generation of an aerosol. This means the patient is constantly emanating aerosols. And the health worker is performing this procedure on several patients through the course of the day. Notice fit checks are mandatory in such an environment but not in a low risk one.

In an non aersol generating environment there is no advantage wearing an N95 over a surgical mask.

You don't need an N95 when you go shopping. Even if some one in the line coughs. They would have to keep coughing into your face repeatedly for a surgical mask to fail.

They recommend a surgical mask for community health care workers who would be within a metre of an infected person. It means the risk of infection in such an environment is low enough that a surgical mask is sufficient to avoid infection. Along with appropriate PPE ofc.

An interesting comment i noticed was an infected person should not wear an N95 or basically any kind of mask with a release valve as it would be as good as no mask and they would infect people around them. A surgical mask is best for these people to catch any droplets.
        Last edited by Double Edge; 07 Apr 20,, 23:49.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
          Assam has 70k in quarantine ? how can that be. I was quoting an all India figure.

Need to find some official figure for those we have in qurantine.

So we can expect a spike in affected numbers but what people should understand is these are contacts that were quarantined and suspected f carrying the disease. During their time in quarantine they could not infect others.
          My mistake, believing someone who reads news on FB and Whatsapp forwards.

I have news for you -> Covid-19: Centre may extend lockdown as several states pitch for it

If lockdown persists, it will be atleast till April 30th. That is again my guess. Those TJ guys needs to be spanked naked in public.

Pakistan trying to ‘influence’ Indian Muslims to violate the Covid-19 lockdown: Delhi Police
          Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
            Barber colleges are accredited educational institutions. The students keep the full tip.
            Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
            To qualify to take the California barber examinations for licensure, you must be at least 17 years old, and you must have completed at least the 10th grade. You should allow about 6 to 12 weeks for the Board to process your application and send you a scheduling letter regarding the next available examination dates.

The California Board of Barbering and Cosmetology requires the following school hours, depending on your license type. The Board does not accept Apprentice hours. Cosmetologist = 1600 hours, Barber = 1500 hours, Esthetician = 600 hours, Electrologist = 600 hours, Manicurist = 400 hours.
            Anyone who picks up a blade in India is a barber. :D

From a safety and hygiene POV this is not good, so I always go to barbershops that have a municipality permit.
            Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• dollar store razors. Soap. 30 minutes in the shower each week. Bald is extremely low maintenance ... and hides my receding hair line for about 40 years. At a cost of $1 per month (don't know the water bill but then I'm on a well).
              Chimo

Comment

Anyone who picks up a blade in India is a barber. :D
                All a good barber needs is scissors and hands.

If they can give you a haircut with just that they know the business.

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                ^ Heh. I can never be wrong about Pakistan. I know its DNA very well. We should ban TikTok as well, and FB, and Whatsapp.
                In this they can't target our people without their own being influenced as well. TikTok is available over there as well.
                Last edited by Double Edge; 08 Apr 20,, 06:38.

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                  dollar store razors. Soap. 30 minutes in the shower each week. Bald is extremely low maintenance ... and hides my receding hair line for about 40 years. At a cost of $1 per month (don't know the water bill but then I'm on a well).
                  I've had receding hairline for the last 10 years or so. Around 4-5 years back I decided to shave off my hair every week. So, every weekend I'd go to the barbershop and shave off my bear and hair. And yes, bald is extremely low maintenance and the look is intimidating to many. :D

I have a cyst at the back of my head, so can't do it myself. Plus I don't know how you reach the back of your head around the edges.

Cost/week: Little more than 1 USD. Bald is sexy. Time to get the body of Stallone.

Celine likes you being bald?

Comment

But TB cases are still very high in India, why?
                    BCG only confers immunity if taken when young.

It does not work if given to adults. Cannot prevent TB in an adult if they take it as adults.

So people who did not get it when young contract TB later.

That's what i've understood.

Comment

All a good barber needs is scissors and hands.

If they can give you a haircut with just that they know the business.
                      Correct. But one needs blade for fine tuning.

In this chey can't target our people without their own being influenced as well. TikTok is available over there as well.
                      I tweeted to Amit Malviya about information warfare that Pak Army rascals have unleashed on India for eternity. I said I don't see India doing anything. I should have realised, misinformation campaign is run by political parties in India targeting other political parties.

If we could, we would have used the same TikTok videos against Pakistan. E.g., Allah will save them Paks from the virus. Only sissies use face masks. Virus doesn't have any effect on people praying together, so all Paks should pray together.

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                      BCG only confers immunity if taken when young.

It does not work if given to adults. Cannot prevent TB in an adult if they take it as adults.

So people who did not get it when young contract TB later.

That's what i've understood.
                      So, I'm at risk.

Got 20 packets of ciggis at 33.3% the markup. Will last till 22nd April. Booze shops should be opened, and people should be asked to maintain social distancing strictly.
                      Last edited by Oracle; 08 Apr 20,, 06:26.

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
                        In the 1940s and 1950s Tb was relatively widespread in Germany, with 100,000-150,000 cases per year (a similar prevalence to India today). It primarily spread through the 12 million refugees coming from Eastern Europe after the war that were distributed all over Germany.

Mass innoculation started around 1950 and within the next 30 years dropped not just cases in general, but factually eradicated Tb as a factor in infant mortality (reduction by 97% !). Around the time i was born it was still 30,000 cases per year, nowadays 5,000. The mass innoculation programme was lifted when it dropped below 10,000 cases per year. The overwhelming majority of Tb cases in Germany nowadays are immigrants who aren't innoculated. Among Germans it only occurs in people born before the innoculation programme.

Between ca 1950 and the mid 80s in most states in parallel to the innoculation programme there was mandatory mass screening of the population - mobile x-ray stations in busses coming into towns and villages and the entire population being required to be tested for tuberculosis. Coverage was 85-90% of the population. In the military we all got this screening as well up until 2000.
                        So the age group that received it should (in theory) do better ? than those that did not. But you have already isolated your elderly.

Name:	spain vs portugal.jpg
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1478779

Portugal had the BCG program, Spain did not

Name:	spain por deaths.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1478780

The difference with deaths is much more pronounced

Comment

Correct. But one needs blade for fine tuning.
                          A razor blade for the sides you mean. yes.

I tweeted to Amit Malviya about information warfare that Pak Army rascals have unleashed on India for eternity. I said I don't see India doing anything. I should have realised, misinformation campaign is run by political parties in India targeting other political parties.
                          They do in other areas but not those tik tok videos

If we could, we would have used the same TikTok videos against Pakistan. E.g., Allah will save them Paks from the virus. Only sissies use face masks. Virus doesn't have any effect on people praying together, so all Paks should pray together.
                          We can't do that for the reason i mentioned earlier.

So, I'm at risk.
                          For now the theory is empirical.

UK & US have not got BCG either.

Got 20 packets of ciggis at 33.3% the markup. Will last till 22nd April. Booze shops should be opened, and people should be asked to maintain social distancing strictly.
                          The markup was double the last time i went so its 40% here now.

There is no such thing as a shortage in an unregulated free market. The prices adjust and goes out of reach with time.
                          Last edited by Double Edge; 08 Apr 20,, 06:46.

Comment

They do in other areas but not those tik tok videos
                            Please enlighten me.

We can't do that for the reason i mentioned earlier.
                            What reasons?

The markup was double the last time i went so its 40% here now.

There is no such thing as a shortage in an unregulated free market. The prices adjust and goes out of reach with time.
                            I feel lucky to have then, even at a markup.

Assam wants conditional withdrawal of lockdown

Some relief hearing this bit. No one talks about booze shops man. What a F moralistic F country we live in. Everybody drinks, but nobody talks about it. Even our Gods drink. WTF.

Comment

• India, Ignore The Same Old Routine On Islamophobia; Think How We Can Avoid Tablighi Jamaat-Like Disasters

Comment

So the age group that received it should (in theory) do better ? than those that did not. But you have already isolated your elderly.
                                If one looks at numbers from German states then there might be an effect slightly visible - in those states where the mass innoculation and mass check campaigns were phased out earlier the age group 35-59 shows an increased caseload relative to overall infection cases in that state.

This becomes pronounced when looking at the numbers without dimensions. Prevalence in two such states:

Northrhine-Westphalia:

Name:	nrw.jpg
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	1478781
                                Baden-Württemberg:

Name:	bw.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1478782

If we take these numbers for a "prevalence relative to 80+ age group" and put them in comparison with each other, then:
                                15-34 = 123.6% in Northrhine-Westphalia compared to Baden-Württemberg
                                35-59 = 123.7% in Northrhine-Westphalia compared to Baden-Württemberg
                                60-79 = 105.5% in Northrhine-Westphalia compared to Baden-Württemberg

Baden-Württemberg had a mandatory mass Tb testing programme until 1983 while Northrhine-Westfalia suspended this in the early 50s. One could speculate that as a derived psychological side effect this also led to higher innoculation rates for both the age group born in this time and for their children.

Comment

Working...
                                X