ID:	1478693
    Chimo

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	dawn.png
Views:	2
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	1478697

Sindh under lockdown for the next 15 days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dawn 2.png
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1478698
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Comment

• That video says just 3 days without any new cases.

The outbreak ends when there are two successive incubation periods without any new cases.

That means 28 days have to pass without any new cases detected.

Comment

• Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Lockdown in Assam from 6PM of 24th March till March 31st: Himanta

Thank god, I went to the market and bought veggies today. My parents need veggies. Booze shops are closed. I have some, but not enough. Have enough smokes. Not a single case here, but the Government isn't taking any risk.
              Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Dawn.png
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1478700

Name:	dawn 2.png
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1478701Click image for larger version

Name:	Dawn.png
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1478700

I don't understand this assclown. People of the sub-continent are not known to obey laws, particularly in Pakistan. People will come out, get infected, take the virus to their homes, infect their wives, children, parents, relatives. Pakistan's population is 1/6th that of India, and Covid-19 cases are almost double that of India, and their puppet PM thinks it's not time for a lockdown. Must be the directive of the COAS. WTF!

Comment

• Full article: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-blame/608332/

China Is Avoiding Blame by Trolling the World
                  Beijing is successfully dodging culpability for its role in spreading the coronavirus.

The evidence of China’s deliberate cover-up of the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan is a matter of public record. In suppressing information about the virus, doing little to contain it, and allowing it to spread unchecked in the crucial early days and weeks, the regime imperiled not only its own country and its own citizens but also the more than 100 nations now facing their own potentially devastating outbreaks. More perniciously, the Chinese government censored and detained those brave doctors and whistleblowers who attempted to sound the alarm and warn their fellow citizens when they understood the gravity of what was to come.

Some American commentators and Democratic politicians are aghast at Donald Trump and Republicans for referring to the pandemic as the “Wuhan virus” and repeatedly pointing to China as the source of the pandemic. In naming the disease COVID-19, the World Health Organization specifically avoided mentioning Wuhan. Yet in de-emphasizing where the epidemic began (something China has been aggressively pushing for), we run the risk of obscuring Beijing’s role in letting the disease spread beyond its borders.

China has a history of mishandling outbreaks, including SARS in 2002 and 2003. But Chinese leaders’ negligence in December and January—for well over a month after the first outbreak in Wuhan—far surpasses those bungled responses. The end of last year was the time for authorities to act, and, as Nicholas D. Kristof of The New York Times has noted, “act decisively they did—not against the virus, but against whistle-blowers who were trying to call attention to the public health threat.”

This is what allowed the virus to spread across the globe. Because the Chinese Communist Party was pretending that there was little to be concerned about, Wuhan was a porous purveyor of the virus. The government only instituted a lockdown in Wuhan on January 23—seven weeks after the virus first appeared. As events in Italy, the United States, Spain, and France have shown, quite a lot can happen in a week, much less seven. By then, mayor Zhou Xianwang admitted that more than 5 million people had already left Wuhan.
                  The political scientist Andrew Michta has drawn controversy and accusations of racism for stating what any measured overview of the evidence makes clear. “The question about assigning agency and blame is pretty straightforward to answer,” he writes in The American Interest. The Chinese state, he says, is culpable.

But is this a time for blame? Yes, it is. Accounting for responsibility when a disaster happens—particularly one likely to devastate entire countries, leaving thousands dead—is not beside the point, particularly as Chinese officials move to take advantage of the crisis and launch a disinformation campaign claiming that the U.S. Army introduced the virus.

Well before the new coronavirus spread across American cities, the Chinese regime was already rather creatively trolling U.S. publications, expelling American journalists, and “weaponizing wokeness” over anything it perceived as critical of China’s role in mishandling the epidemic. To hear Chinese spokespeople use the language of racism and prejudice is somewhat surreal, considering this is a regime that has put more than 1 million Muslims and ethnic minorities in “reeducation” camps.

Of course, Americans will have to be vigilant against scapegoating Asians in general or the Chinese people in particular. With one of the highest infection rates and death tolls, Chinese citizens have suffered enough. The Chinese leadership, however, is another matter. A government is not a race. It’s a regime—and easily one of the worst and most brutal in our lifetime. Criticizing authoritarian regimes for what they do outside their own borders and to their own people is simply calling things as they are. To do otherwise is to forgo analysis and accuracy in the name of assuaging a regime that deserves no such consideration.

Those American critics who raise the racism canard are themselves inadvertently collapsing the distinctions between an authoritarian regime and those who live under it. Too many also seem comfortable drawing moral equivalencies between the Chinese regime and Donald Trump. This attitude is hard to take seriously. Trump didn’t block the media from reporting on the coronavirus; he did not disappear his critics. The nature of a regime matters. And this is why I, for one, am glad to live in a democracy, however flawed, in this time of unprecedented crisis.

After the crisis, whenever after is, the relationship with China cannot and should not go back to normal. Nothing, in any case, will go back to normal after the sheer scale of destruction becomes clear. Of course, the rest of the world will have to live with the Chinese leadership as long as it remains in power. But this pandemic should, finally, disabuse us of any remaining hope that the Chinese regime could be a responsible global actor. It is not, and it will not become one.
                  Last edited by Ironduke; 23 Mar 20,, 17:07.
                  "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Puts things in perspective doesn't it. Japan & Vietnam don't have a lot of tests done but they have already crossed a hundred per million. India needs to be testing ten times more

Name:	tests per million Mar 20.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1478704

UK, Australia, Israel & Germany tests per million are way up there.

You can also why how screwed Italy & Iran are : (
                    Last edited by Double Edge; 24 Mar 20,, 00:21.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                      Lockdown in Assam from 6PM of 24th March till March 31st: Himanta

Thank god, I went to the market and bought veggies today. My parents need veggies. Booze shops are closed. I have some, but not enough. Have enough smokes.
                      You have a good govt. I imagine it will be the same routine in all the BJP states. The non-BJP ones ah, could well be a different story and outcomes.

Karnataka has already sealed its border with other states.

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                      Not a single case here, but the Government isn't taking any risk.
                      Expatriates returning from abroad ?

I see reports of hundreds & thousands from different countries. All get into the surveillance network.

Example of a story I read. One person returns to his village from Australia over a week back. He falls ill a week later. Goes to a nursing home but they can't do anything as his situation gets worse. He ends up in a hospital. He tests positive. A 3km radius around his home has become a containment area. All the people that interacted with him on his trip back have been told to go into self quarantine. All the medical staff that came int contact with him at the nursing home as well as the hospital also have to go into qurantine.

Police will arrest anybody on the roads after 6 PM of 24 March, baring those who are out for purchasing only groceries and medicines
                      You have until 6PM to get what you need if you can find it.

How are they going to enforce this ? you're on the road, all you have to do is tell them your're going food shopping and they let you be.

I only found out today. Nothing in the papers earlier and no clue at all.

So Modi's ploy was a voluntary curfew on Sunday from 7 to 9pm followed by a week long shutdown. Had they said there would be a shutdown there would have been panic buying to beat the deadline.

I thought things would be somewhat normal on monday but i saw many shops closed and it came as a surprise.

Hopcoms (vegetable & fruit) , milk booths & pharmacies were open.

And as i walked further down i noticed there were others as well. So i had a haircut and picked up smokes.

The maid's not coming in as the buses don't run.

I wonder what happens with the food delivery guys like swiggy & zomato. Are restaurants closed too then there is no food delivery

This is one of those very rare topics where everybody is on the same page more or less. It does not even feel like i'm talking to people from another country whey they all have the same concerns. Same routine, same crap.
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 23 Mar 20,, 23:04.

Comment

• Originally posted by Versus View Post
                        Quinine rocks. My quarantine ended yesterday, but now the entire country is in one. Bummer.
                        This hydrochloro quinine question was put to the Indian health ministry and the answer was

- its only for doctors treating covid patients
                        - those caring for them

You hear that you think they're rationing.

Comment

• Was reading comments and some one suggested that India's plan is to delay the outbreak long enough for other countries to recover from them. Think Italy, France, Spain, China, US.

There will then be a glut of ventilators available that won't be needed : )

If GOI gets its sums right that plan might just work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                            Expatriates returning from abroad ?
                            Don't know. I know one guy, Sariful Islam who fled quarantine in Kerala to go to his home somewhere in Assam. He was arrested in New Bongaigaon railway station and put up in an isolation ward. Whatsapp and FB are full of fake news. One guy who's in Italy messaged a local daily saying he doesn't want to risk carrying the virus, so he's staying put there.

Assam's medical infrastructure is not like Karnataka or Chennai, if there is an outbreak & cases spike, deaths will be many.

Comment

This hydrochloro quinine question was put to the Indian health ministry and the answer was

- its only for doctors treating covid patients
                              - those caring for them

You hear that you think they're rationing.
                              I will ask for this medicine from the pharmacy near my home today. Forgot to ask yesterday.

Comment

I wonder what happens with the food delivery guys like swiggy & zomato. Are restaurants closed too then there is no food delivery
                                Around here businesses only had to close their physical shops. They can still sell their goods through delivery - and a lot of small shops do that, taking in orders by telephone or email and delivering (places that would have never thought about that). About 90 altogether in the city right now. The local newspaper publishes their contact info.

Comment

Working...
                                X