No announcement yet.

Will SARS make a come back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germany has declared the French region of Grand Est a high-risk area today - placing it on par with Hubei, Gyeongsangbuk-do, Iran and Italy. This follows the number of infections in Grand Est more than doubling from tuesday to wednesday, from about 170 to 370.

Baden-Württemberg state, directly bordering Grand Est, and with about 300 cases itself, is currently considering a variety of measures; a decree to close universities in the state for the next 6 weeks has been passed, assemblies larger than 1,000 people have been banned, festivals and fairs canceled.

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderful Plans View Post
      So in these articles I read published at the start of February the cornoavirus that is being spread around is a genetically modified version containing spliced SARS traits that are rumored to have been stolen from a camnadan laboratory by a chilese spy and taken to amerca to get spread biological weapon style.
      First debunked here

That is to say the very opposite of the underlined bit.

Second debunk from a bioweapons expert with context here

Many people around the world have looked at the genome sequence. They're tracking it because its mutating. If there was something man made here you'd be seeing them coming out in droves and calling it just that. Where are they ?

The only ones doing it are the crack pot websites.

You'd be amazed how many people i come across in the youtube comments section that religiously believe this !!
      Last edited by Double Edge; 11 Mar 20,, 18:40.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
        Fact of the matter is that these masks work better on infected people infecting others with droplets than the other way around. If you do not have the virus then your best protection is to wash your hands often. When I mention often I mean more than a few times. I wash my hands a minimum of a dozen times a day for what I do.
        The reason surgeons wear masks is to protect the patient from doctors infecting the patient. There are two views here. China & HK govts insists on the public wearing masks. To prevent the infected spreading disease to others.

But you will find govts of other countries do not insist on wearing masks. We see doctors treating covid patients wearing masks and this time its to protect the health workers from being infected as they do their rounds. So the masks do serve a purpose here. Govts not recommending are trying to conserve the supply of masks for health workers.

I do not know how long the virus can remain viable out in the open but I would guess a couple of hours. That means you could wash your hands and then touch a door knob to open a door, and now you would need to wash your hands again. Assuming it is viable outside then just imagine the amount of things you handle, and were handled by others, in the course of a day. Then you move your hands to most likely rub your eyes...
        Wish it was a couple of hours. But its a couple of days that too in tropical weather so longer in cooler weather : (
        Last edited by Double Edge; 11 Mar 20,, 18:48.

Comment

Aussies getting a bad rap over toilet paper but the hamsterkauf is actually widespread around the pac rim
          Last edited by Double Edge; 12 Mar 20,, 02:49.

Comment

"Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

This was interesting. Since the CDC says you should wash your hands for 20 seconds people are advised to hum/sing a song. Below is a list of song lyrics from several different decades of which none could I simply sing off the top of my head. I'd have to memorize the songs which is why Happy Birthday is easy. However, when I was in grad school the recommended tune was Row, row, row your boat. If you sing slow once would do it and if you sing slightly faster twice would be needed.

The choices do have the soundtrack if you like oldies. Starts off with Elvis, then the Temptations, then ABBA, next Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Destiny's Child, Outcast and last Lizzo

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/08/us/ha...rnd/index.html

I can say I definitely wasn't into the last three and also decided I could easily recall and go with "I Love Rock and Roll."
              Last edited by tbm3fan; 12 Mar 20,, 18:55.

Comment

Now the beginning lyrics to this don't require me to memorize anything since they are etched in my mind although people around me might wonder...

Comment

^great tune to cruise to

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                    Aussies getting a bad rap over toilet paper but the hamsterkauf is actually widespread around the pac rim
                    Around here it's oddly locally focused by product. In Town A you won't get pasta, in town B you won't get rice, in town C you won't get any canned meals...

The only thing universal is desinfectant and toilet paper. That's been gone from stores everywhere for weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
                      The only thing universal is desinfectant and toilet paper. That's been gone from stores everywhere for weeks.
                      Why you guys cannot use something like this instead ?

Does not require refills. If the trigger breaks you can easily replace it yourself.

Cost is 5 euro for two.

The French & Italians have something more fancy called a bidet. This requires extra space but principle is the same.

If you have water then it works.

In India, toilet paper is for the foreign visitors or if you want to go in the forest ie. no water available.
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 12 Mar 20,, 21:20.

Comment

as of Mar 12, check the channel for updates

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                          Why you guys cannot use something like this instead ?
                          The anecdotal reason why there are no bidets in Germany is because it's something Germans first saw in French brothels in WW2. Statistically 1% of German households have a shower toilet or bidet - in Italy for comparison it's 97%.

Toilet paper sales are also sharply up in France though. Some supermarket chains have reported "local disruptions in supply", as in sold-out stores. And not just at the borders.
                          (France also has completely different local focus products sold out - other than rice and pasta, oil and sugar are apparently hard to get too in some places)

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
                            The anecdotal reason why there are no bidets in Germany is because it's something Germans first saw in French brothels in WW2. Statistically 1% of German households have a shower toilet or bidet - in Italy for comparison it's 97%.

Toilet paper sales are also sharply up in France though. Some supermarket chains have reported "local disruptions in supply", as in sold-out stores. And not just at the borders.
                            (France also has completely different local focus products sold out - other than rice and pasta, oil and sugar are apparently hard to get too in some places)
                            Here's the thing. I have no idea how or what you do with the bidets in France & Italy.

The one i grew up with in the gulf looked like what the French call a bidet but it had a jet that shot up.

The ones in France & Italy do not have a jet at all. They have a tap at one end where water flows down.

I lived in France for a couple of years. The apartment i was in had a toilet in a closet.

The bidet was in another room with the bath tub. So clearly not meant for washing after the toilet.

We used toilet paper in France

Comment

My govt and other govt are saying masks are not necessary. Masks are for keeping germs in and not out.

But people in China, HK, Taiwan basically most of the far east believe they are necessary. Anything is better than nothing

There was a case study conducted in China where they determined people in a bus that did not wear a mask contracted the virus. That the virus could linger in the bus for half an hour. So people that got on later or after the infected person got off also caught the virus.

DiY : )

Comment

Disturbing news but there's a graphic for how many tested in the UK

Coronavirus: Health minister Nadine Dorries tests positive | BBC | Mar 11 2020

Race to contact 'hundreds' of vulnerable NHS patients operated on by Liverpool surgeon with coronavirus who FAILED to self-isolate after returning from Italian skiing trip | Daily Mail | Mar 10 2020

Click image for larger version

Name:	Uk cases.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1478674

Case load rises when testing is done

Seems like they test at the rate of a thousand a day for what must be 30k tested so far

They are expecting to ramp up to 10k tests per day

They do drive through testing like the Koreans so in a fortnight they will be well over the 200k mark.

Yes, now i'm confident UK will not end up like Iran.
                                Last edited by Double Edge; 13 Mar 20,, 05:49.

Comment

Working...
                                X