Opinions: "US rejects changes to net control"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions: "US rejects changes to net control"

Further to shek's thread located at: http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=8541 I thought I would put a thread up here in the "Science and Technology" section on this issue for debate, as it is central to how the internet will be managed in the future.

I am just wondering what everyone's opinion on this issue is, if you have one. Should control of domain names etc. be passed from the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), which is a division of the US Department of Commerce, to the United Nations or not? Should something else happen? Should the internet remain under US Government control?
    The US has rejected calls by European Union (EU) officials to give control of the net over to a more representative United Nations (UN) body.

Wrangling over who should essentially be the net police, managing domain names and net traffic routing fairly, has been going on for some time.

The matter is supposed to be discussed at November's World Summit on the Information Society in Tunisia.
    Full Article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4296646.stm

Debate Away! :)

The EU won't budge off of that huge agricultural tariff they have.

The corruption that has surfaced in the UN, and they want Net Control? Notta.

Comment

The UN can't even manage itself right now, so that portion of the article is absurd.

I am not smart enough on the infrastructure of the internet, so I am not equipped to argue the merits of switching control to another body, other than the fact that it appears to be working fine the way things are. There are security issues, but most of these stem from holes in software from what I read, and therefore aren't pertinent to the actually management of the internet. If it's not broke, don't fix it.
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

"Control" of the net?

The only thing the UN needs to control, is their aim; they're pissing all over the place.

Comment

Approximately 90% of the planet's IP packets still pass through Reston, VA.

The ICANN is doing fine.

And the only things the UN should be in control of are stealing money, f*cking little girls, and smoking Arab pole.

Woops, they already have the Trifecta! So their plate is pretty full - they should leave the internet to us poor, deluded Yanks and leave us with the delusion that we designed, built, and run the damned thing.

-dale

Comment

Politically? Yes.

But more details are needed and any decision on this should keep the political factor, secondary.

Is the UN even capable?

Comment

Originally posted by Asim Aquil
              Politically? Yes.

But more details are needed and any decision on this should keep the political factor, secondary.

Is the UN even capable?
              The more fundamental question is: Should anyone "control" the internet?

Comment

Right so anyone with the resources should be able to hook up their registering services to the rest of the internet.

Thing is the internet has already been designed to point towards ICANN for domain lookups. With a distributive setup, prices might come down, as well, but they'll all have to be hooked up!

ISPs will need to modify their systems as well (or maybe just the backbones). Its doable, unless ICANN gets hell bent on maintaining a monopoly. But even so its doable, technology cannot be stopped.

Comment

The only international body at this time that could oversee such a control apparatus would be the UN, and that's a non-starter from the word go.
                  What with the corruption that seems endemic.
                  Also I recall a study done by an UN panel some years ago, which proposed that the international media be guided (read: censored), so as not to bring stories that might be injurious to the public well-being!
                  Think of the Net in control of bureaucrats with that kind of mind-set!
                  When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

I dont think the U.N. can handle the net until they fix their own processes. And if they are given the job it must comply with security security security. IMO have an outside consultant look over their shoulder at all times.

Hmmm didnt Al Gore at one point claim to have created the internet?..lmao maybe we should ask him how to go about this without the use of his teleprompter..ROFLMAO :)
                    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Two words:

Absolutely not!

Two more:

Not ever!

Kevin McHugh

Oh, and three more:

Buzz off, UN.
                      If you didn't pay any taxes, it's not a rebate. It's welfare.

Comment

The UN contains members opposed to free speach, they should never be put in charge of anyting to do with personal expression.
                        No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Working...
                        X