• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putin pledges to step down

The Times

Putin pledges to step down
    By Jeremy Page

PRESIDENT PUTIN of Russia sought to burnish his demo- cratic credentials in a three-hour phone-in yesterday by pledging to share out Russia’s oil wealth and to step down in 2008.

Mr Putin denied rolling back democracy as he fielded 60 questions from Russian citizens, some of whom spoke to him live on television from their home towns, while others sent e-mails and text messages.

“It is not my goal to remain for ever in the Kremlin,” Mr Putin said, speaking from a specially adapted room in the Kremlin.

The phone-in was designed to look spontaneous but analysts said that it was stage-managed to smooth the way for the 2008 presidential election, when Mr Putin must step down under the Constitution.

Mr Putin, 52, said that there was no truth in persistent rumours that the Kremlin wants to change the Constitution to allow him a third term.
    Maybe there is hope yet for a democratic Russia!
    But the pessimist in me says a lot can happen during the next three years when he is obliged to step down.
    When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

I hope the new president won’t be endorsed by Putin. If this happens, nothing will change for the better.

Comment

Yeah I heard him say it repeatedly a couple of weeks ago on TV. Time will tell.

Comment

Somehow I have serious doubts if he will.

He will surely do a Musharraf!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

A democratically elected dictator? Somehow I think Russia will actually pull it off!
          Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
            Somehow I have serious doubts if he will.

He will surely do a Musharraf!
            Then why would he tell now that will step down? Why to state that no way constittution may be changed? I don't see any rationale then telling it now if he plans to look for a way how to stay a president further..........

Many of people on the west have wrong views on what exactly happened, going on or will happen here...... sometimes they absolutelly have no idea and believe to what they read in newspapers or see in CNN/Fox News etc. These views are sticky and tend to change only with time

ps. Will he look for somebody to replace him... sure he will!

Comment

Originally posted by Garry
              Then why would he tell now that will step down? Why to state that no way constittution may be changed? I don't see any rationale then telling it now if he plans to look for a way how to stay a president further..........
              How many times have we heard politicians utter variations of the, "...if nominated I will not stand, if elected I will not serve." speech.
              Yet at the end of the day there they were sitting in the office.
              You do know the best way of leading a mule to water is, don't you?
              When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

Originally posted by Amled
                ..Maybe there is hope yet for a democratic Russia!..
                Hope for democratic Russia…I’m not sure that they were very satisfied with Yeltsins democracy.
                Originally posted by Garry
                ..Many of people on the west have wrong views on what exactly happened, going on or will happen here...... sometimes they absolutelly have no idea and believe to what they read in newspapers or see in CNN/Fox News etc...
                Well said. Same situation as in Serbia.
                Last edited by kNikS; 29 Sep 05,, 16:45.

Comment

Mushrraf got the Pakistan National Assembly to agree to come back to their job in the National Assembly by promising that he will step down by last year. He had a change of heart "in the interest of the Nation". His rubber stamp Prime Minister says that now he might not step down by the next cut off date i.e. 2007.

Is Mush baby can do it, why not the successor to Stalin, the benevolent butcher?

Do you find any startling difference between our loveable Stalin, cute Mushman and Pigheaded Putin?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

It's easy to predict that some sort of "emergency" will happen and that Putin will be "forced" to stay on.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                      Mushrraf got the Pakistan National Assembly to agree to come back to their job in the National Assembly by promising that he will step down by last year. He had a change of heart "in the interest of the Nation". His rubber stamp Prime Minister says that now he might not step down by the next cut off date i.e. 2007.

Is Mush baby can do it, why not the successor to Stalin, the benevolent butcher?

Do you find any startling difference between our loveable Stalin, cute Mushman and Pigheaded Putin?
                      Musharraf is not as ruthless and bloodthirsty when it comes to dealing with the NWFP as Staling and Putin are in dealing with Russian Republics, mostly the Caucasus?

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
                        It's easy to predict that some sort of "emergency" will happen and that Putin will be "forced" to stay on.-dale
                        Remember the rash of "Chechen" bombings in Moscow the first time Putin was running for president on a law and order platform?

Comment

Musharraf is not as ruthless and bloodthirsty when it comes to dealing with the NWFP as Staling and Putin are in dealing with Russian Republics, mostly the Caucasus?
                          Putin is much better in the sense that he does not turn his back to his own soldiers!

If given a choice between the two, any sensible man would prefer to live under a tyrant who chooses to protect his people(and to kill their enemies ruthlessly,like the nuke all moslems idea proposed) rather than a tyrant who turns his back to his own soldiers and officers and let them die at the hands of his enemy.

Anyways, when did we start ranking tyrants?
                          A tyrant is a tyrant.No good tyrant and no better tyrant

Comment

Originally posted by Amled
                            Remember the rash of "Chechen" bombings in Moscow the first time Putin was running for president on a law and order platform?
                            I certainly do. And I remember how convenient it was that they found so much evidence. ;)

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by kNikS
                              Hope for democratic Russia…I’m not sure that they were very satisfied with Yeltsins democracy.
                              What Democracy? I have yet to see a contested election since the fall of the soviet union. The Russian constitution also gives the president almost absolute powers.
                              F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Working...
                              X