This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Book Are You Reading?

Simple. Just list the book you're reading at the time of posting.

I just finished Panzer Commander by Oberst Hans von Luck. Excellent read, I highly recommend it.
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Just finished Iron Coffins: A Personal Account of the German U-Boat Battles of World War II (Herbert Werner). Now I am reading Oil: Anatomy of an Industry (Matthew Yeomans).
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Two right now, I'll list the one in English, as the Danish one wouldn't mean much to most of you:
      Quantrill's War - The Life and Times of William Clarke Quantrill (Duane Schultz)
      When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
        Just finished Iron Coffins: A Personal Account of the German U-Boat Battles of World War II (Herbert Werner).
        My lovely Liberal has excellent taste in reading subjects

I'm currently re-reading several books, since I have not bought or checked out from the library anything new.

I think my next re-read will be The Arms of Krupp by William Manchester.
        He biographies are so packed with minutae that I always pick up a few nuggets of new information the next time I read it.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I'm finishing up Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. After that I'm reading The Capitalist Manifesto by Andrew Bernstein. Then after that I'm reading Theogony by Hesoid. There is so much I want to read, yet so little time

Comment

I've always been interested in the philosophy of Emperor Marcus Aurelius, especially his work on Stoicism.
            "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Eye Of The Needle - by Ken Follet

and then this book called,

"If I die in a combat zone, box me up and ship me home" by Tim O' Brien. I think I got the name of the book right.

Comment

Henry VIII by Alison Weir.

Recently finished Nixon by Stephan Ambrose.
                "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Decided to wait on The Arms of Krupp until I have a chance to finish plowing though Blue at the Mizzen by Patrick O'Brian
                  “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Currently reading Chechnya: To The Heart Of A Conflict -Andrew Meier

After that:

In The Rose Garden Of The Martyrs -Chris de Bellaigue
                    Mail Call -Gunnery Sgt. R. Lee Ermey
                    A book of poems by Rumi
                    A Mile In Their Shoes -Aaron Elson
                    Band Of Brothers -Stephen Ambrose
                    Vincent Price: A Daughter's Biography -Victoria Price
                    Beowulf
                    The Prince -Machiavelli
                    Teeth Of The Tiger & Red Rabbit -Tom Clancy

Comment

Imperial Grunts by Robert Kaplan.
                      Although Kaplan is too much an empiro-phile for my tastes, it's a good fast read.

The Persian Expedition by Xenophon.
                      A fun little military adventure story on the Euphrates river, even if it is 2400 years old.

Comment

"Kampf dem Terror - Kampf dem Islam?"(War on terror - War on islam?) by Peter Scholl-Latour.
                        >Facit Omnia Voluntas<

Comment

Berlin Dance of Death by Helmut Altner.

Comment

The Sky is Falling - Sidney Sheldon started today.

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10
                              Berlin Dance of Death by Helmut Altner.
                              Leibstandarte, have you read Otto Carius' Tigers In The Mud?
                              Bought it off Amazon about a year ago. Really good read.

Comment

Working...
                              X