This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonder what book Bulgar is reading!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
      Wonder what book Bulgar is reading!
      Philosophy 101 followed by Philosophy For Dummies and I Was A Teenage Philosopher
      "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
        Philosophy 101 followed by Philosophy For Dummies and I Was A Teenage Philosopher
        teenage mutant ninja philosophers
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

It Was A Real Book!! I had no idea!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by THL; 18 Nov 05,, 02:45.
          "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

You sure have gored the bull and have started a tetonic clash!
            Bullgoretetonic!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Lunatock
              Is it any different than copies for sale in book stores?
              No, just the Gunny's autograph. It's rather silly in a way, but hey, who cares? :)
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I bought this book..

Its about the Upanishads which are part of the Hindu Shruti scriptures which primarily discuss meditation and philosophy and are seen as religious instructions by most schools of Hinduism.

Dont worry, I'm not going to read them any soon.
                Last edited by Samudra; 18 Nov 05,, 15:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                  You sure have gored the bull and have started a tetonic clash!
                  Bullgoretetonic!
                  Ole' !!!

Comment

A million and a half ways to disassemble a nuclear warhead ;)
                    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I'm about halfway through Guns Germs and Steel, but having to read Robbins Pathology and hundreds of pages of course notes has pretty much halted my recreational reading. Its a shame but by the end of the day all I can do is veg with the TV.

Its really cool that you guys read so much. If you have time, I recommend reading 2001: A Space Odyssey. Yeah, I know I know, the movie is boring, trust me the book isn't. Its very short, and is different from the movie. You will like it.

Comment

Originally posted by barrowaj
                        I'm about halfway through Guns Germs and Steel, but having to read Robbins Pathology and hundreds of pages of course notes has pretty much halted my recreational reading. Its a shame but by the end of the day all I can do is veg with the TV.

Its really cool that you guys read so much. If you have time, I recommend reading 2001: A Space Odyssey. Yeah, I know I know, the movie is boring, trust me the book isn't. Its very short, and is different from the movie. You will like it.
                        Read it a long time ago, and I loved it. Really made me think.

Most influential book in my life has been 'Atlas Shrugged', by Ayn Rand. Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
                          I was given that book before I left IL for FL. Never got around to reading it.

I've just received 3 books from Amazon.com

First up is Shattered Sword, a fresh look at the Battle of Midway.
                          I've written a review on the History Forum

After that is Operation K: The Second Bombing of Pearl Harbor

Finally, a brand new book on the Great Marianas Turkey Shoot.
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
                            I was given that book before I left IL for FL. Never got around to reading it.

I've just received 3 books from Amazon.com

First up is Shattered Sword, a fresh look at the Battle of Midway.
                            I've written a review on the History Forum

After that is Operation K: The Second Bombing of Pearl Harbor

Finally, a brand new book on the Great Marianas Turkey Shoot.
                            Well, 'Atlas' is a helluva big commitment, but I've never gotten as much from a book before or since. If you can commit to it...go ahead and start it. Amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by barrowaj
                              Don't waste your time with that garbage, it ignores the cultural elements in the advancement of the west. I recommend reading Victor Davis Hanson's Carnage and Culture.
                              Last edited by Praxus; 19 Nov 05,, 17:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
                                Me too! It takes a long while to read the one thousand page book, but it is well worth it.

Comment

Working...
                                X