This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post

Arrived today and this is a big heavy hard cover book, both of them.
    Yeah...true tomes. Hope you can track down his latest...Fire & Steel. It completes the trilogy.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

Yeah...true tomes. Hope you can track down his latest...Fire & Steel. It completes the trilogy.
      The trilogy was completed today with the arrival of Snow & Steel. I'll be busy all year with reading material.

Comment

The trilogy was completed today with the arrival of Snow & Steel. I'll be busy all year with reading material.
        Really a great set of reads.
        Mark Twain

Comment

Really a great set of reads.
          You have finished all three yourself?

Comment

You have finished all three yourself?
            Nope! I had some others I had to finish up first. I'm about 1/5th of the way through Snow & Steel.
            Mark Twain

Comment

Nope! I had some others I had to finish up first. I'm about 1/5th of the way through Snow & Steel.
              My take on the first four chapters, You are right in what I had learned through other books. One, that the Germans were top notch but they weren't. Compared to our fresh, young, trained troops they were out of their own league. Their vaunted mobility was anything but at the time. Horses and being unable to travel in daylight is a slow way to move an Army.

Then Chapter 3 where the first Americans arrive after the Canucks had been there awhile. Reminded me of four brothers in a way. The brothers being Brits, Aussies, Canadians, and Americans. After high school they go their separate ways until 50 years later for a reunion. The first three stayed in touch somewhat but not their American brother. The children of the first three had heard stories about their black sheep uncle. They were excited to meet that black sheep uncle when he arrived as his exploits sounded so cool. Independent, brash, outgoing, on the move doing different things in life compared to their steady fathers. When they meet him he is everything they thought while their fathers were like who are you. Soon the differences would melt away and they were brothers again.

I would pause when reading that part to reflect in my mind what that time was like when all the family was their for one common goal. Even if Aussie were mainly in the Pacific but so were the Brits and us. Like the gunfight at the OK Corral.

Out of town but when back have a question or two for you.

Comment

My take on the first four chapters, You are right in what I had learned through other books. One, that the Germans were top notch but they weren't. Compared to our fresh, young, trained troops they were out of their own league. Their vaunted mobility was anything but at the time. Horses and being unable to travel in daylight is a slow way to move an Army.

Then Chapter 3 where the first Americans arrive after the Canucks had been there awhile. Reminded me of four brothers in a way. The brothers being Brits, Aussies, Canadians, and Americans. After high school they go their separate ways until 50 years later for a reunion. The first three stayed in touch somewhat but not their American brother. The children of the first three had heard stories about their black sheep uncle. They were excited to meet that black sheep uncle when he arrived as his exploits sounded so cool. Independent, brash, outgoing, on the move doing different things in life compared to their steady fathers. When they meet him he is everything they thought while their fathers were like who are you. Soon the differences would melt away and they were brothers again.

I would pause when reading that part to reflect in my mind what that time was like when all the family was their for one common goal. Even if Aussie were mainly in the Pacific but so were the Brits and us. Like the gunfight at the OK Corral.

Out of town but when back have a question or two for you.
                That is one of the greatest analogies of the 4 nations relationships I think I have ever read!!! Well done!

And looking forward to your questions!
                Mark Twain

Comment

• Doing some American Revolutionary war reading. Just finished an interesting bio of George Washington's (largely) political, business and personal development-particularly political. How fortunate for our nation that a man both universally esteemed, modest and with our future nation's best interests at heart led the way...

...often doing so "from the rear". Few were his equal at reading tea leaves. See George Washington-A Political Rise of America's Founding Father- David O. Stewart

Presently reading Joseph J Ellis' The Cause: The American Revolution and Its Discontents 1773-1783

I am dismayed at how little I still understand about our nation's birth. What a wild proposition these men carried within themselves and for that dream to find realization was frankly beyond miraculous.
                  "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                  "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Originally posted by S2 View Post
                    Doing some American Revolutionary war reading. Just finished an interesting bio of George Washington's (largely) political, business and personal development-particularly political. How fortunate for our nation that a man both universally esteemed, modest and with our future nation's best interests at heart led the way...

...often doing so "from the rear". Few were his equal at reading tea leaves. See George Washington-A Political Rise of America's Founding Father- David O. Stewart

Presently reading Joseph J Ellis' The Cause: The American Revolution and Its Discontents 1773-1783

I am dismayed at how little I still understand about our nation's birth. What a wild proposition these men carried within themselves and for that dream to find realization was frankly beyond miraculous.
                    I have not read those but have heard excellent reviews. Adding to my list. If you want some good battle studies just ask.
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by S2 View Post
                      Doing some American Revolutionary war reading. Just finished an interesting bio of George Washington's (largely) political, business and personal development-particularly political. How fortunate for our nation that a man both universally esteemed, modest and with our future nation's best interests at heart led the way...

Given that we have seen how easily rational, in theory, Americans have bought into Trump's demigodry, just like rational German's bought into Hitler's, it is amazing what they created here. Given that those two despots had tools at their disposal that the Father's didn't such as media, they did have few Americans who really knew what was going on back then. The fact that they created this government, unlike any other at the time, and it has lasted for 248 years is testimony to their character making what they did one of the most amazing accomplishments in world history. Nonetheless, there are going to always be those who want to chuck it all for their own narrow minded benefit. Similar as to how Germany is dealing with AfD now. They never disappear.

Comment

Working...
                      X