Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 59606162636465666768
Results 1,006 to 1,009 of 1009

Thread: What Book Are You Reading?

Senior Contributor
    Got my paws on a copy of "Russian Roulette; The Inside Story of Putin's War on America and the Election of Donald Trump" by Michael Isikoff and David Corn as well as a copy of Khuns The Structure of Scientific Revolutions (my old copy having got lost in moves since I left University) so I suppose that is maternity reading.

Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Gave up on Orson Scott Card's Xenocide. He really laid it on too thick with the religious stuff. Spent weeks trying to get through what seemed like dozens of pages on Catholics and aliens, would read a single line and put the bookmark back in. The Catholics+aliens chapters would alternate with Chinese colony world with Taoist Buddhist Confucian spies, and it was simply too much. He himself is a Mormon, and his beliefs influence his sci-fi. Religious sci-fi fans would probably find themselves big fans of his works.

If someone were to created an abridged version, in the manner of the Jefferson Bible, maybe I'd take it up once more again.

Switched it up and now reading Poul Anderson's Starship.

Will donate Xenocide to one of those little boxes some people keep next to their mailbox, where one can leave and take books for free.
    Last edited by Ironduke; 10 May 18, at 16:36.
    What I don't want to see is the Bills winning a Super Bowl. As long as I'm alive that doesn't happen.

Co-worker gave me Sowell's Black Rednecks, White Liberals. I am leaving this job next week, so I'm trying to finish it up as quickly as possible. Should be done tonight.

You can pretty much call it blaming black culture for the status of blacks in the US today, specifically because American black culture is heavily influenced by Southern culture, which is in turn just English Borderer Culture back when the Scottish-English border was a lawless wasteland. I'd say it's a little light on its research: some sections sound more like an internet post, where a single datapoint is over-extrapolated and alternative explanations are not researched, and key explanations are missed (like, HOW did black culture become like Southern culture, and does this vary, because "Southern Culture" was not homogeneous in the Antebellum South...also, why has Southern culture changed and black culture has not?)

There's some interesting stuff in there about the experience of Germans throughout the world, too.

I consider it a decent read. I'd put it in the recommended column, but I'd be careful about who you hand this book to, lest you end up with a young conservative too confident in his world-view or a young liberal who simply hates you for recommending a hate-book.

After this, I am finishing up War and Peace. I took Monday and Tuesday off for furnace/AC installation, and since I can't play my damn Xbox, I'll be reading instead.
    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Just finished Poul Anderson's Starship.

Rather than being a novel, it was 5 mini-novels/short stories set in the same universe, at different places in different times.

My favorite story in the book was Virgin Planet. The setting is a planet where a spaceship with an all-female crew crashed hundreds of years before the plot begins.

The population of the all-female planet is comprised of clones of the original crew, have a caste/occupation system where clones all do the same thing regardless of the city-state they live in, and give birth to children who are clones of themselves via parthenogenesis.

Then a man piloting a small spaceship on a journey of discovery happens upon the planet... and a war breaks out between the various city-states in an effort to capture him...

All the other short stories in the book were also really good.

Currently reading Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles.
    Last edited by Ironduke; 14 Jun 18, at 17:23.
    What I don't want to see is the Bills winning a Super Bowl. As long as I'm alive that doesn't happen.

Thread Information