Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 58596061626364656667

Thread: What Book Are You Reading?

Global Moderator Defense Professional JAD_333's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
    The historian H.W. Brands who wrote The Man Who Saved the Union: Ulysses Grant in War and Peace said of Grant's autobiography, it was the best of all the presidential memoirs due to it contents and that it had nothing to do with his time in the presidency.
    I'm reading it again. Amazing how much one misses the first time around.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Senior Contributor
    Recently got a new copy in English (last one I gave to a friend) of Sasha Litvinenko's "Blowing up Russia" and have been re -reading it. Well worth reading still today; as the ancient Chinese master Sun Tzu said "Know your enemy".

Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Haven't picked up the Hue book but I have read a couple of great ones in the mean time.

The novels I mentioned were excellent...also read Tipping Point by David Poyer (predecessor to Onslaught) and finally also got around to reading Ghost Fleet.

Excellent reads.

I accidentally (;-)) ordered James Hornfischer's excellent Neptune's Inferno: The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal. Started it yesterday and it is outstanding. I also have Tin Can Titans: The Heroic Men and Ships of World War II's Most Decorated Navy Destroyer Squadron the story of DESRON 21.

After that I think I'll read The Fleet at Flood Tide: America at Total War in the Pacific, 1944-1945 Hornfischer's book on the USN.

More to follow.
    “We had been hopelessly labouring to plough waste lands; to make nationality grow in a place full of the certainty of God… Among the tribes our creed could be only like the desert grass – a beautiful swift seeming of spring; which, after a day’s heat, fell dusty.”
    ― T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph

Rogue Warrior of the SAS: The Blair Mayne Legend
    Name:  IMG-20170906-WA0000.jpeg
Views: 38
Size:  596.6 KB A book about him..his abilities and his flaws

Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Neptune's Inferno was great. Very well done. Though I knew that campaign well but I learned a ton. It was amazing how much the USN had to learn about combat at the outbreak of World War 2. And some common sense things....

a. Learn to trust in radar for target ID and fire control.
    b. Combat loading of ships is the difference between victory and defeat.
    c. THE USN had an unwarranted arrogance regarding superiority of equipment.
    d. We actually had many battleships available much earlier in the fight after Pearl Harbor. But we couldn't deploy to the Solomons because they were such fuel hogs and we had nowhere near enough fleet oilers available to deploy for support.
    e. Learning to give target bearing relative to ships movement and not by the compass (sound familiar?)
    f. Don't stick the kids from the deep woods of Georgia manning the sound powered telephones. No one could understand what the hell they were saying!

Recommend it highly.
    “We had been hopelessly labouring to plough waste lands; to make nationality grow in a place full of the certainty of God… Among the tribes our creed could be only like the desert grass – a beautiful swift seeming of spring; which, after a day’s heat, fell dusty.”
    ― T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph

Quote Originally Posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Neptune's Inferno was great. Very well done. Though I knew that campaign well but I learned a ton. It was amazing how much the USN had to learn about combat at the outbreak of World War 2. And some common sense things....

a. Learn to trust in radar for target ID and fire control.
    b. Combat loading of ships is the difference between victory and defeat.
    c. THE USN had an unwarranted arrogance regarding superiority of equipment.
    d. We actually had many battleships available much earlier in the fight after Pearl Harbor. But we couldn't deploy to the Solomons because they were such fuel hogs and we had nowhere near enough fleet oilers available to deploy for support.
    e. Learning to give target bearing relative to ships movement and not by the compass (sound familiar?)
    f. Don't stick the kids from the deep woods of Georgia manning the sound powered telephones. No one could understand what the hell they were saying!

Recommend it highly.
    My grandad served on a few American built vessels. Tankers and merchant vessels in Atlantic and Med.

1948: A History of the First Arab-Israeli War
    By Benny Morris.

Very detailed, week-by-week analysis of the political, diplomatic and (mainly) military developments that led to the founding of the State of Israel. Surprisingly evenly balanced, with plenty of blame to go around.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1948-Histor.../dp/0300151128
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    DOR,

yup, that book was great. the absolutely insane scramble in the ME immediately-post WWII is mind-boggling to read.

here's a book i am VERY interested in-- catch is, it's not quite out yet.

http://smstirling.com/books/black-chamber/
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Senior Contributor
    I have pre-order of Robert Kaplan's "The Return of Marco Polo's World: War, Strategy, and American Interests in the Twenty-first Century".

Thread Information