X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
    God is not great: How religion poisons everything by Christopher Hitchens
    I read that last year. I enjoyed it, but I feel that the topic itself is generic and can be difficult to handle. Obviously one's outlook on life will greatly influence opinion on a book of this nature. Atheists and agnostics are far more likely to read this book, and the extent to which they already have traveled this path is significant. I, for one, read this book with a consolidated opinion about religion already established, and at this point, the book only confirms or reaffirms the already personally discovered. Therefore I didn't encounter the novel very regularly and this book would have served me much better during at an earlier stage of my mental development.

I just finished The Bookseller of Kabul my Anna Seierstad, not a literary masterpiece by any means, but it delivers softly an insight into Afghani culture, as well as a glance back at the absurd Taliban regime. It makes you reflect at the dramatically uneven successes of the feminist movement of the 20th century and is a powerful weapon against the ever deepening problem of cultural apologism.

Comment

• I'm reading "The Summer of Beer and Whiskey," by Edward Achorn (978-1610392600). An excellent history of 19th century baseball centered around the St. Louis Brown Stockings and owner Chris von der Ahe.
      Trust me?
      I'm an economist!

Comment

• Just finished reading - Eagles over Bangladesh by Jagan Mohan & Samir Chopra.
        Air battle accounts of the IAF during the 1971 Indo-Pak war.
        Well researched book.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

• In Search of Lost Time (Marcel Proust)
          The Magic Mountain (Thomas Mann)
          Don Quixote (Miguel de Cervantes)

Comment

• Got through books 1 to 3 of the Red Gambit Series by Colin Gee.
            A small time guy who publishes on kindle but he just blows Turtledove away.
            For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

• I have just discovered Vivek Ahuja an Indian who self publishes on Amazon.
              He wrote 2 books Chimera, on an India China Conflict and Fenix on India Pakistan.
              Chimera wasn't that good the Indians did many thing right vs the Chinese doing many things wrong, plus many many bits of DRDO and HAL equipment actually work super duper well.
              One thing I found strange was how he describes the Chinese not using their brutal ballistic missile advantage.

Fenix is outstanding, he bravely takes an Indo-Pak conflict to the logical nuke filled end.

Comment

• Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                I have just discovered Vivek Ahuja an Indian who self publishes on Amazon.
                He wrote 2 books Chimera, on an India China Conflict and Fenix on India Pakistan.
                Chimera wasn't that good the Indians did many thing right vs the Chinese doing many things wrong, plus many many bits of DRDO and HAL equipment actually work super duper well.
                One thing I found strange was how he describes the Chinese not using their brutal ballistic missile advantage.

Fenix is outstanding, he bravely takes an Indo-Pak conflict to the logical nuke filled end.
                PDF mate? :-)
                Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                  PDF mate? :-)
                  No need, they are available on Kindle unlimited. I only paid Rs 99 for it.

Comment

• In English?
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• George Friedman, The Next Decade: Where We've Been and Where We're Going (2011). He has some very definite opinions, not wishy-washy by any means.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                        In English?
                        Yup Dok in English

Comment

• The next book in Colin Gee's outstanding red gambit series is out.
                          Brilliant stuff, Harry Turtledove wishes he was this good.

Comment

• Napoleon's Invasion of Russia—1812 by Eugene Tarlé

Comment

• The Theoretical Minimum - Leonard Susskind
                              "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• I am halfway through this The End of Tsarist Russia: The March to World War I and Revolution

An outstanding piece of work. The way he describes the nationalistic lunacy running through all of europe at the time was particularly striking.
                                Very similar to the hot headed stupidity exhibited in India and China nowadays.

Comment

Working...
                                X