X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    [ATTACH]32935[/ATTACH]

This HAS to be my Fathers Day gift.

If its not I'll be on Amazon in a New York minute!!!
    Woohoo! Finally! been waiting an age for Atkinson to get this out.
    I picked up An Army at Dawn while sitting bored at Heathrow one evening and was spellbound.
    He is one of those rare authors who can combine factual accuracy with lyrical prose.
    Sadly INR 2300 is a bit too much for me. Will wait a few months for the paperback.
    Last edited by bolo121; 15 May 13,, 04:04.
    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

• Just picked this up and so far I am really enjoying it. SHANGHAI 1937: Stalingrad on the Yangtze: Peter Harmsen: 9781612001678: Amazon.com: Books

Comment

• HKDan,

that was an interesting book. it's too bad CKS decided to follow the german model and place all his best soldiers in "elite" units. after shanghai his fighting power went way down, and probably didn't recover until 1944 or so....only to be ravaged again by operation ichigo.
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I don't read one book at a time (short attention span), so last book finished James Barr - A line in the Sand. Current books...

The Psychoanalytical Movement, Ernest Gellner
          Key Concepts of Lacanian Psychoanalysis, Dany Nobus
          Ecrits, Jaques Lacan
          Kim, Rudyard Kipling
          The Man who would be King, Rudyard Kipling
          The Anthropology of Space and Place, Low and Lawrence-Zuniga
          Simulcra and Simulation, Jean Baudrillard
          Architecture and Order, Pearson and Richards
          Cosmology and Architecture in Premodern Islam, Akkach

Comment

• Currently reading:

The German Peasant War by Friedrich Engels, 1850 (in a 1975 reprint though).

Basically a short 110-page treatise on the failed social revolutionary struggles of the 1510s to 1520s. Due to author's background (yep, it's the Marx coauthor Engels) and timeframe of the original publication with a bit too much hyping of the '48 revolution and the term "plebeian opposition" being overused.

Link to online version: Der deutsche Bauernkrieg [microform] : Engels, Friedrich, 1820-1895 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Also still gotta finish going through this 150-page thing on 2500-year-old fortifications on the mountain next to where i'm sitting - of which you can see exactly... nothing today. Comes with multiple 1:10,000 overview maps of fortifications and a 1:1000 topographical map of formerly flattened positions on the hill (houses, factories, etc) that's won't fit on my kitchen table, so that's cool.

Comment

• "Deng Xiaoping and the Transformation of China,” by Ezra F. Vogel
              (Belknap Press of Harvard University Press)
              ISBN-10: 0674055446 and ISBN-13: 978-0674055445

The best book on China in the late 1970s to 1980s I’ve read.
              Trust me?
              I'm an economist!

Comment

• Right now I'm reading: Crucible of War The Seven Years War and the Fate of Empire in British North America 1754-1766 by Fred Anderson

... and up next: The Campaigns of Napoleon by David G. Chandler.

Comment

• I swear I read "Champagnes of Napoleon"

IMHO, would be worth reading, too.
                  No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• I might be a little cliche on the favorites aspect. I really love Catcher in the Rye and Salinger's 9 Stories (mostly for the story A Perfect Day for a Banana Fish). I also really love Nick Hornby's books...High Fidelity is one of the best. Of course Cat's Cradle and Slaughterhouse-5 are must reads too.

Comment

• I am currently reading "Fountain head of Jihad" - The Haqqani Network....

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

• I just Finished 6 frigates by Ian Toll.

A very informative and enjoyable read.

Comment

• I have just started this

Amazon.in - Buy Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin Book Online at Low Price in India | Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin Reviews & Ratings

A difficult and moving read.

Comment

• One of the best public sources about the crimes of Hitler and Stalin in the Baltic states, Poland, Belarus, and Ukraine.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Gettysburg: The Last Invasion
                              Allen C. Guelzo / 2013 / Alfred A Knoph Publishing

632 pages including 39 maps, 16 pages of photographs, 116 pages of Notes
                              973.7 GUE - ISBN 978-0-307-59408-2

A well documented and in-depth historical account of the Battle of Gettysburg
                              sigpic

Comment

• Minskaya,

If you ebjoy that one and have not yet read it, I highly recommend

Gettysburg: Stephen W. Sears: 9780618485383: Amazon.com: Books

I have not read Guelzo's book....just finished up some intensive War of 1812 research but it is on my to do list.
                                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X