X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
    GWB for finals?
    No, this was during the semester. Every so often I like to peruse the NY Times nonfiction bestselling list and download the books that look interesting
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

• Foundation series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of the all time greats for science fiction, perhaps the best - IMHO - there is no doubt, this is the great science fiction every recorded (please read all 28 related novels (sequilles, prequilles amd tie ins to the empire and robot stories, before you decide)

features of this story
      • the human race is heroic and fares well in the story
      • it has a 25,000 year story arc
      • many central charactors, plenty of action, wars, battles, etc
      • fantastic technology
      • no aliens
      Last edited by USSWisconsin; 24 Mar 13,, 20:22.
      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

• Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
        Foundation series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of the all time greats for science fiction, perhaps the best - IMHO - there is no doubt, this is the great science fiction every recorded (please read all 28 related novels (sequilles, prequilles amd tie ins to the empire and robot stories, before you decide)

features of this story
        • the human race is heroic and fares well in the story
        • it has a 25,000 year story arc
        • many central charactors, plenty of action, wars, battles, etc
        • fantastic technology
        • no aliens
        Issac Asimov's masterwork. Reading the first in the series way back when I was a school kid was what hooked me onto Sci Fi.
        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

• Trying my hardest to read 'No Easy Day', but these just won't leave me alone :slap::

Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
          -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

• Originally posted by Tronic View Post
            Trying my hardest to read 'No Easy Day', but these just won't leave me alone :slap::

At last the pind will have a better, faster and meaner gudukka (not that it is any less meaner now...)

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

• Originally posted by lemontree View Post
              At last the pind will have a better, faster and meaner gudukka (not that it is any less meaner now...)
              Hmmm... gudukka... doesn't ring any bells. lol.
              Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
              -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

• Attached Files
                sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.

Comment

• Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
                  [ATTACH]32574[/ATTACH]
                  Dude, do you own a novel???!!!!?!?

(looks like my Civil War library.....but much smaller)
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• Shouldn't those be on the "top" shelf?

Comment

• The Man Who Saved The Union: Ulysses Grant In War And Peace
                      H. W. Brands / Doubleday / 2012 / 718pp / ISBN: 978-0-385-53241-9

A comprehensive and intimate biography of U.S. Grant. Sources include previously unpublished personal letters and archival materials.

-----

My Share Of The Task: A Memoir
                      General Stanley McChrystal / Portfolio | Penguin / 2013 / 452pp / ISBN: 978-1-59184-475-4

This autobiography chronicles his journey from a US military at its lowest ebb post-Vietnam through its metamorphic reincarnation as the premier military force in the world. General McChrystal was the architect/implementer of CT strategy in Iraq and would later accept command of all Coalition forces within Afghanistan. In the Epilogue of this book, General McChrystal ruminates about the qualities of leadership - five pages that everyone everywhere should read. The flow of personal thoughts throughout this autobiographical journey is distinctly reminiscent of U.S. Grant.
                      sigpic

Comment

• This HAS to be my Fathers Day gift.

If its not I'll be on Amazon in a New York minute!!!
                        Attached Files
                        Mark Twain

Comment

• Guess you read the other 2 from the trilogy.
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                            Guess you read the other 2 from the trilogy.
                            Bought them as they came out.

Been looking forward to this volume.

I would read a list of cereal ingredients if Rick Atkinson wrote it.
                            Mark Twain

Comment

• for fiction, i'm currently re-reading one of my old sci-fi favs, S.M. Stirling's "The Domination" trilogy.

The Domination: S.M. Stirling: 9780671577940: Amazon.com: Books

it looks at what a world would look like if there was an "anti-America"-- a nation founded on the principles of (as you might guess) domination, slavery, and mastery.

unlike other lesser evil nations, they do not try to hide whom they are under a guise of enlightenment/egalitarian principles ("the democratic republic of NK", for instance), but actively proclaim the world to be made of two types of people, the master-race draka and everyone else-- serfs (domesticated if under draka rule, "feral" otherwise).

a truly dystopic world, demonstrating that progress and a world living under democratic principles was, and is, not inevitable.

===

for non-fiction, i've been reading "Sir John Fisher's Naval Revolution".

Sir John Fisher's Naval Revolution (Studies in Maritime History): Nicholas A. Lambert: 9781570034923: Amazon.com: Books

excellent study of an innovative leader trying to drastically revolutionize the Royal Navy during an arms race...all while facing huge fiscal constraints due to insanely fast technological obsolescence.

any recommendations for other non-fiction work?
                              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                                Dude, do you own a novel???!!!!?!?

(looks like my Civil War library.....but much smaller)
                                That's just one shelf of the naval books,

there are nine bookcases in that room and over a dozen more around the house - sci fi novels are what I enjoy most for fiction, the naval library takes up two bookcases, each one with 7 shelves. I suppose I've got too many books - moving requires professional help, like too many of my problems ;).
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X