Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished The Inferno by Dante Alighieri.
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Got another great book today from the B&N.

U.S. Special Forces, Airborne Rangers, Delta, and U.S. Navy SEALs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0760...=1#reader-page

Comment

Originally posted by giggs88

I just got that book today. Can't WAIT to read it.
        VERY good book. You will enjoy it.

Mine:

The Death of the West - Pat Buchanan
        Six Silent Men - Reynel Martinez
        The Night of the Silver Stars - ?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202
          VERY good book. You will enjoy it.
          I know. I've gotten to the "Earning the beret" part and I've enjoyed it A LOT so far.

Comment

I just got that book today. Can't WAIT to read it.

Is it only about US special forces or does it also mention SAS or KSK and so on? I'm thinking of buying that book but I'm sceptical because it's written by a woman.
            >Facit Omnia Voluntas<

Comment

Currently reading DIPLOMACY by Henry Kissinger
              Plan to read Trial of Henry Kissinger by Christopher Hitchins later....
              Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Originally posted by JG73
                Is it only about US special forces
                Yep. It's ONLY about the "Green Berets". Special Forces in general refers to ONLY the "green berets". No SAS or anything else in here. Except if they were mentioned in a mission.

It is written by a woman, but I like the book because there are real characters (SF operators) in the book rather than it just being a boring profile and history of the "green berets".

I found the chapter of their recent missions in Afghanistan really fascinating.

Don't buy the book if you want profiles of SOF units. Infact, don't even by a book, because you can find detailed profiles of what those units do on the internet.

Comment

Yep. It's ONLY about the "Green Berets". Special Forces in general refers to ONLY the "green berets". No SAS or anything else in here. Except if they were mentioned in a mission.

It is written by a woman, but I like the book because there are real characters (SF operators) in the book rather than it just being a boring profile and history of the "green berets".

I found the chapter of their recent missions in Afghanistan really fascinating.

Don't buy the book if you want profiles of SOF units. Infact, don't even by a book, because you can find detailed profiles of what those units do on the internet.
                  THX. So it is not very detailed? More an action book?

So if I could recommend a book to you all I would recommend all books of Peter Scholl-Latour. In my Eyes he's one of the best middle east experts in the world who knows everybody from Collin Powell to Ayatollah Khomeini personally.
                  >Facit Omnia Voluntas<

Comment

Originally posted by JG73
                    THX. So it is not very detailed? More an action book?
                    A little of both. But more action oriented.

So if I could recommend a book to you all I would recommend all books of Peter Scholl-Latour. In my Eyes he's one of the best middle east experts in the world who knows everybody from Collin Powell to Ayatollah Khomeini personally.
                    I'll check him out.

Comment

I downloaded "A Childs History of England" by Charles Dickens yesterday and read the first four chapters...

But I cant remember the names at all.
                      Last edited by Samudra; 16 Nov 05,, 17:52.

Comment

Still reading Mail Call. But ye another book I wis to buy is Christopher's Lee's autobiagraphy, The Lord Of Misrule. Think I'll go with the paperback version. Lower cover price and more pages, and thus a smaller royalty for the lord of misrule...but by his own design.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunatock
                          Mail Call -Gunnery Sgt. R. Lee Ermey
                          I got me a nice copy autographed by the Gunny :)

Just the kind you get in the mail though
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
                            I got me a nice copy autographed by the Gunny :)

Just the kind you get in the mail though
                            Is it any different than copies for sale in book stores?

Comment

My small room mate has a fever and I was called to pick her up from daycare because of it, but there is a lot going on here at work that I cannot do from home so I brought her back here. I just took a break and read "David Gets In Trouble". It's a good read if any of you should find the time. Only takes about 2 minutes to read.

"To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

I just read The Inferno, the first part of Dante Alighieri's work - The Divine Comedy and Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Right now I'm reading State of Fear by Michael Crichton, the characters are simplistic, as you might expect from a pop-novel, but the story is both compelling and entertaining.

Comment

Working...
                                X