Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, as a matter of fact I have. It was an excellent book. I've read probably 90% of all WWII German memoirs. I'm starting to read a lot more books on Vietnam.
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10
      I've read probably 90% of all WWII German memoirs.
      Silly me, I should have guessed
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Heh, I've always found the German side of the war the most interesting and one of the least covered, although recently this has gotten better.
        "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Heh, I've always found the German side of the war the most interesting and one of the least covered, although recently this has gotten better.
          Can't remember if I mentioned this before...
          A buddy of mine was at a convention and talked to General Adolf Galland and got his copy of Galland's book autographed. I guess it was a meet and greet/autograph thing, but I wish I could have met him, he was a real pistol.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Yep, Galland was known for his charisma and charm. His personal insignia early in the war was a gun-toting, cigar-chomping version of Mickey Mouse.

Comment

Yep, Galland was known for his charisma and charm. His personal insignia early in the war was a gun-toting, cigar-chomping version of Mickey Mouse.
              He also looked like a really rakish rogue

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
                He also looked like a really rakish rogue
                That dude was pure fighter pilot. All the swagger, attitude, confidence, talent and sheer fearlessness one could cram into a human frame.

Not many can carry that off with such style. He did, and even in defeat, you just knew he was a winner.

Comment

Right now, I'm reading, "The Lifestyle: The Erotic Rites of Swingers".

Just finished "Why the Germans Lose at War".

Before that, "Sharpe's Fortress".

Sociology, History, Fiction...Amazon doesn't know WHAT to recommend to me anymore!

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
                    So that is inthe Sociology section at B. Dalton, really? I would have thought more toward Self-Help or Instructional.

;)
                    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Why not just go to Ft Lauderdale and do some in-person research? ;)

Comment

The Sharp Series is an exciting read eh Bluesman.

Right now I am reading

Winston Churchill
                        SOLDIER

The Military Life of a Gentleman at War

by Douglas S. Russell

I love that man even more now. I had no idea how tough he really was.
                        Originally posted by GVChamp
                        College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
                          Why not just go to Ft Lauderdale and do some in-person research? ;)
                          You're not asking me out on a date, are you, cowboy? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
                            So that is inthe Sociology section at B. Dalton, really? I would have thought more toward Self-Help or Instructional.

;)
                            HAH!

Comment

Originally posted by Batman
                              The Sharp Series is an exciting read eh Bluesman.

Right now I am reading

Winston Churchill
                              SOLDIER

The Military Life of a Gentleman at War

by Douglas S. Russell

I love that man even more now. I had no idea how tough he really was.
                              I'm not as fond of the 'Sharpe' series as I am of 'The Flashman Papers', or O'Brien's Aubrey/Maturin series. But they're good, no doubt.

As for Winnie the Pooh, that man was a WARRIOR, in the literal sense, and politically, too. He's a hero, and I do not think it overstates the case to say that he saved Western civilization, when nobody else would or could have.

Greatest man of the 20th Century, going away.

Comment

You're not asking me out on a date, are you, cowboy? ;)
                                Not a chance flyboy
                                Suggest to the Lieutenant a weekend out....see what she says ;)
                                Last edited by TopHatter; 03 Oct 05,, 18:48.

Comment

Working...
                                X