This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Buck View Post
    "Churchill Hitler and the Unnecesary War" by Pat Buchanan. There's a lot in there that I'd never heard of in re the Versailles Agreement imbroglio and how many times Hitler COULD have been stopped pre-1939.
    Christopher Hitchens ripped the guts out of that one in one of the toughest reviews I've ever read. Devastating.

Comment

• I am re reading one of my favorite books of all time.

Atlas Shrugged.

Its been about 20 years since I last read it. Still a great book:)

Comment

• Osman's Dream by Caroline Finkel

Comment

• What's the matter with Kansas? by Thomas Frank
          America doesn't deserve its military

-Emma Sky

Comment

• Gone For Soldiers by Jeff Shaara.
            Historical novel about the Mexican-American War.

Comment

• Castles, Battles & Bombs- How economics explains military history by Brauer and Van Tuyll
              Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
              (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

• The Strongest Tribe -- Bing West

-Emma Sky

Comment

• Originally posted by osage18 View Post
                  The Strongest Tribe -- Bing West
                  Can't wait to hear what you think of it when you're finished. I almost picked it up yesterday. Let us know.

Comment

• Originally posted by GAU-8 View Post
                    Gone For Soldiers by Jeff Shaara.
                    Historical novel about the Mexican-American War.
                    Just finished his The Steel Wave last night.

I'll start Kirby Smith's Confederacy: The Trans-Mississippi South, 1863-1865 by Robert L. Kerby

Still got that tour to get ready for!
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• West is a little too USMC focused, but that is understandable, given his background. Conceptually, he is saying all the right things IMO. I know that this is emotional for him, because he is writing in very short, powerful staccato sentences. Very rapid fire. He places blame and gives praise both. Many will come out of this villians, but more will be heroes.

-Emma Sky

Comment

• Max Hastings Armaggedon: The Battle for Germany, 1944-45. If anyone of you professionals or military history buffs have read it, I would be very interested to hear your opinions.
                        All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                        -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

• sapper sarge,

The Man With The Iron Heart by Harry Turtledove
                          what'd ya think of it?

i'm waiting for the next turtledove book to impress me, after the downfall.
                          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Rereading Middlemarch. I'd forgotten how brilliant that book is.
                            I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

• Reformation Europe, by Jensen.

Into the 2nd Chapter. Quite the read.

Comment

• Amazon.com: Awakening Warrior: Revolution in the Ethics of Warfare (Suny Series, Ethics and the Military Profession): Timothy L. Challans: Books

I haven't read enough to have an informed opinion of Challans argument.
                                "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Working...
                                X