Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "If Democrats Had Any Brains They Would Be Republicans" by Ann Coulter, I know I'm a true WABer because I immediatly thought of Bluesman and Dale when I recieved it for Christmas. Decent book I want to read her other works now. I would reccomend to any Republican tired of hearing Republicans endlessly bashed in the media.

Comment

• I've usually been so busy I haven't taken the time to read a book, only magazines. So I've decided to be a good influence on Ashley and I am going to start with the Harry Potter series.
      “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
      "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
      sigpic

Comment

• Sent the first one to my Uncle

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
        The Day of Battle by Rick Atkinson. Volume 2 of his briliant Liberation Trilogy, the story of the US Army in Europe. Volume 1, An Army at Dawn, was about the US Army in North Africa. It was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for History.
        Sent the first one to my Uncle hes a veteran of North Africa,Sicily,Italy, 34th Red Bull Divison, 1-silver star, 2-purple hearts,and more, he was a medic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Southie View Post
          I've usually been so busy I haven't taken the time to read a book, only magazines. So I've decided to be a good influence on Ashley and I am going to start with the Harry Potter series.
          Started reading that series when I became a Scout leader....helped me relate to boys 9 - 15. Grew to love them as much as my son. Last summer at Boy Scout Summer Camp, our last day in Camp was the Saturday after the book came out at midnight. At morning formation the staff filed out and the Camp Director lead the way holding Volume 7 above his head like it was a procession. All the Scouts quieted down and then kind of went OOOOOOH!

Good stuff.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by BudW View Post
            Sent the first one to my Uncle hes a veteran of North Africa,Sicily,Italy, 34th Red Bull Divison, 1-silver star, 2-purple hearts,and more, he was a medic.
            Send him the second one soon...it is excellent as well.

I am currently reading [U]The Ghost Mountain Boys[U] It's the story of the Red Arrow Men, the 32d ID and the first battles in New Guinea. While the author is not an historian, he is a decent story teller. Would have loved for Atkinson to have given this battle a treatment.
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

• I read this book yesterday. For anyone interested in American football, this is a must read.

Amazon.com: The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game: Michael Lewis: Books

Here's an interview with the author on this book and Moneyball:
              Michael Lewis on the Hidden Economics of Baseball and Football, EconTalk Permanent Podcast Link: Library of Economics and Liberty
              "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

• "the soldiers that changed history"
                just started today with Oliver Cromwell.
                sigpicaction speaks louder than words

Comment

• Just finished reading:
                  Destroyer Captain: Lessons of a First Command

Nice account of a captain of Arleigh-burke class destroyer of the USN.

Starting this weekend:
                  It's Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy

Comment

• Originally posted by snc128 View Post
                    "the soldiers that changed history"
                    just started today with Oliver Cromwell.
                    iyi sanslar!:))

Comment

• "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien. This book is on our summer reading list for all Advanced Planning Language students for next year! Ashley will be reading it and I am going to read it as well as "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
                      “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
                      "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
                      sigpic

Comment

• "Eight Lives Down" by Chris Hunter, the memoirs of a British ATO.
                        Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                        (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

• Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                          iyi sanslar!:))
                          I just cant understand why English people do not like him
                          He has done countless good things for England. Am I right?
                          sigpicaction speaks louder than words

Comment

• Guide to Effective Military Writing.

OK, it is not a humorous book even if it is a work of marvellous fiction! :))

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

• Legacy of Ashes by Tim Weiner
                              Got derailed by Shattered Sword but am back on it now.
                              For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

• Just bought ´Rise and Fall of Third Reich´ by W.Shriver (sp:?), Latest Terry Pratchett´Making Money´, just finished H.Turtledoves last 3 books of ´Settling Accounts´-series (the first one was not on sale, damnation) and currently reading ´Moons gardens´ or ´Gardens of Moon´ - by some fantasy author previously unknown to me, after all of that ´Glory and the Dream´ by W.Manchester (again, for 4th time ?).
                                If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Working...
                                X