Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm getting ready to tackle Amazon.com: Dynamics of Defeat: The Vietnam War in Hau Nghia Province: Books: Eric M. Bergerud. Another long Vietnam book, but now I'm delving into more micro-level analysis.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

• Wordsworth's Prelude. Very self-indulgent and repetitive with admittedly vivid imagery.
      HD Ready?

Comment

• Hi, I'm new to the board and would definitely recommend Eric Bergerud's Vietnam book for Shek. I took a class from Bergerud a while back and he is very knowledgable.

The last book I read was Unintended Consequences: The United States at War by Ken Hagan and Ian Bickerton.

Comment

• Maupassant's Short Stories. So far discussing the Prussian occupation of France in the 1800's.

Comment

• I have just finished "the sword of Allah"

Book Review: Sword of Allah, by David A. Rollins

A great book that makes you stop and think.

Freddie
            Never hold your farts in, they run up your spine, and that's where shity ideas come from.
            vēnī, vīdī, velcro - I came, I saw I stuck around.

Comment

• Finished the New Testament by someone who claims to be God, last week, finished Gulliver's Travels by Jonathon Swift yesterday, started Slaughterhouse Five by kurt Vonnegut today.
              Kill them all, I absolve you.

Comment

• Military errors of WW2, Kenneth Macksey, Cassell books.

Happy new year everyone

mike
                sigpic

Comment

• REFORMATION,Europe's house divided 1490-1700 by Diarmaid MacCulloch.

Comment

• The Day of Battle by Rick Atkinson. Volume 2 of his briliant Liberation Trilogy, the story of the US Army in Europe. Volume 1, An Army at Dawn, was about the US Army in North Africa. It was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for History.
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by MKD View Post
                      Hi, I'm new to the board and would definitely recommend Eric Bergerud's Vietnam book for Shek. I took a class from Bergerud a while back and he is very knowledgable.

The last book I read was Unintended Consequences: The United States at War by Ken Hagan and Ian Bickerton.
                      MKD,
                      It's been an interesting read thus far. I liked his views on pointing out the flaws in Krepinevich's thesis. I'm not convinced yet on his thesis against CAPs as a solution to the village war (maybe I'm misreading him here). Anyways, it's nice to move beyond the macro-level books I've been reading and get down into the weeds. I'll tell you what, though, this is the longest 300 page book I've ever read
                      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

• Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich by William L. Shirer.

Wanted to read it for years now, but spent 2 years in Afgh. and Iraq reading everything Michael Crichton, Dan Brown, and YES J.K. Rowling had to offer.
                        "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach...just make sure you thrust upward through his ribcage."

Comment

• I am reading "Shadow Warriors" by Ken Timmerman. Utterly amazing that Pres. Bush left so many people in the government that hate his & my values but love the values of those that would kill us & our soldiers.

Comment

• WEB Griffins "The Shooters".
                            Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                            (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

• The Beach by Alex Garland

Comment

• Childhoods End, by Auther C. Clarke. About the arrival of a Superior species called the Overlords who micro-manage the direction of humanity as it rushes to it,s eventual end or rebirth depending on your point of view. Great sub-plots as different groups vie to view and expose the secretive aliens and their motives. Incredible description of earths and thus humanities bizzare ending in true Clarke fashion.

Comment

Working...
                                X