• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Gobal Warming Alarmists

Global warming could kill 15,000 a year
    By Political Reporter BRONWYN HURRELL in Canberra
    23sep05

HEAT-RELATED illness could claim the lives of 15,000 Australians a year by 2100 if nothing is done to reduce greenhouse emissions, a report says.

Over the next 95 years we're apparently going to un-intent air conditioning

Doctors have joined environmentalists to press for government action on climate change, citing serious health impacts, even in the near future.

The Australian Medical Association and Australian Conservation Foundation yesterday released a report by world climate change experts which outlined the threats to human health.

About 1100 people over the age of 65 already die each year in Australia because of high temperatures - more than 200 of them in Adelaide, where the average maximum temperature of the warmest month is above 30 degrees.

Greenhouse gases - which are caused by burning fossil fuels like oil, gas and coal - are predicted to lead to average temperature increases of six degrees by 2100.

Heat related deaths are predicted to double by 2020 and could reach 15,000 nationally by 2100. The dengue fever transmission zone could extend as far south as Sydney if emissions continue to increase, the report says.

AMA president Dr Mukesh Haikerwal said climate change was one of the biggest health challenges and co-ordinated action was essential.

This guys joking right? How many people die every day from cancer, heart disease, or even ADIS, and this guy thinks our real problem is hot weather.

"Failure to dramatically cut carbon dioxide emissions will leave the world with serious environmental and health problems," Dr Haikerwal said. "We're not just talking about a longer summer or a shorter ski season.

"Climate change will damage our health, people will get sick as a direct result, people will die in larger numbers as our Earth, our world, our home, heats up."

And less people will freeze to death.

ACF president Professor Ian Lowe said "urgent action to curb climate change could save thousands of lives in Australia and reduce the suffering of millions in the Asia-Pacific region".

LOL "suffering of millions" They should try a New England winter. That's suffering. I demand that we burn as much oil and coal as possible right away to relieve MY suffering.

The report says action to reduce car use - which reduced greenhouse gas emissions - would encourage more walking and cycling, and be beneficial for the obesity problem.

Talk about nanny government. What do they want? To regulate the number of miles you can drive so you have to walk the rest?

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au...55E911,00.html
    Last edited by Leader; 23 Sep 05,, 10:16.

Every year in Eastern Canada they find old people frozen to park benches. To be honest I like the cold and would rather go out by falling asleep and freezing than heat-stroke.
    Originally posted by GVChamp
    College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Is there no connection of the various factors that are mentioned?

Do I preceive a subtle suggestion that the climatic abberations are merely the wrath of Allah on the infidels going berserk?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Batman
        Every year in Eastern Canada they find old people frozen to park benches.
        See. The planet's too cold.

Comment

When I first heard this on a radio I laughed a bit. I suppose it's rather mean to laugh at old people freezing on a park bench eh>?
          Originally posted by GVChamp
          College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
            Is there no connection of the various factors that are mentioned?

Do I preceive a subtle suggestion that the climatic abberations are merely the wrath of Allah on the infidels going berserk?
            No, no no. I specifically requested that the wrath of Allah be reserved for me. I was told that there would be virgins etc. Frankly, this is most embarassing. What do I tell my guests? I shall forthwith make a written complaint to the immediate superior of "Mr. Allah". If compensation for lack of eternal bliss with saucy dusky wenches not be forthcomming expect to be contacted by my legal representatives. The bussiness card you proffered stated that "Mr. Allah" was - and I quote:"great". My further parties will be catered be "Papal-party.com" who offer unlimited seafood, bread and wine all night. For revelers numbering into the thousands! Beat that! They also throw in a magician and a hooker! You don't even cater Kosher!

Dissappionted Customer.
            Last edited by The Chap; 11 Nov 05,, 07:31.
            Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

Haven't we had this discussion two or three times already?

Comment

Leader, I have to say your post is interesting. Its a good point that why should doctors think that global warming is one of the greatest health challenges for Australia? I don't think 15k probably die of aids like you said, but certainly there must be better ways of dealing with the problem.

Encouraging cycling though is a great way of reducing obesity and CO2 emissions at the same time. I'm not sure exactly how you would do this, perhaps a tax deduction for owning a bicycle? Extra taxes on gasoline? Educational programs?

These are all things that the US could benefit from as well. We have a huge problem with both obesity and CO2 emissions.

Comment

Originally posted by barrowaj
                  Leader, I have to say your post is interesting. Its a good point that why should doctors think that global warming is one of the greatest health challenges for Australia? I don't think 15k probably die of aids like you said, but certainly there must be better ways of dealing with the problem.

Encouraging cycling though is a great way of reducing obesity and CO2 emissions at the same time. I'm not sure exactly how you would do this, perhaps a tax deduction for owning a bicycle? Extra taxes on gasoline? Educational programs?

These are all things that the US could benefit from as well. We have a huge problem with both obesity and CO2 emissions.
                  Except that fat people are real and anthro global warming isn't.

And how about a special tax on granola-sh*tting hippies?

-dale

Comment

Except that fat people are real and anthro global warming isn't.
                    What makes you think with certaintity that it isn't?

And how about a special tax on granola-sh*tting hippies?
                    lol! I'll remember that line next time I run into environmentalists.

Comment

Originally posted by an4815
                      What makes you think with certaintity that it isn't?
                      Look through any one of the recent global warming threads here in this forum and my explanation is there. Any questions and you can bump the old thread - happy to discuss and educate.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
                        Look through any one of the recent global warming threads here in this forum and my explanation is there. Any questions and you can bump the old thread - happy to discuss and educate.

-dale
                        Well, hopefully the overwhelmingly vast majority of qualified scientists who do think that human driven global warming is a reality will encourage the government to do something about it. I'd rather not have my town be any hotter than it already is. Then again, it would be underwater, so I guess it wouldn't be that hot.

Why would you tax hippies eating granola? Its good for you. Tax the pot they smoke instead.

Bikes rule without the fuel! That being said I actually drive an SUV, and don't own a bike. It gets only 15 mpg, but the burble of the V8 is really nice. But I might ride a bike if there was some incentive, like better bike paths, or better police so that people didn't steal your bike. Then again, I guess the police are too busy giving out traffic tickets to actually prevent any real crime.

Like I said, get two birds with one stone: obesity and CO2 emissions. Houston sure does have a lot of fat people.
                        Last edited by barrowaj; 15 Nov 05,, 05:20.

Comment

Originally posted by barrowaj
                          Like I said, get two birds with one stone: obesity and CO2 emissions. Houston sure does have a lot of fat people.
                          Now that would be a sight! Houstonites on bicycles. From what my brother in law tells me, they drive to the gate to put out the rubbish
                          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by parihaka
                            Now that would be a sight! Houstonites on bicycles. From what my brother in law tells me, they drive to the gate to put out the rubbish
                            Its true. But we call ourselves Houstonians, and the rubbish trash. ;)

Seriously though, the greater Houston area is the size of Rhode island, so to go from strip mall to stip mall you have to drive. Plus its hot as hell during the summer, so nobody really wants to walk.

Comment

"These are all things that the US could benefit from as well. We have a huge problem with both obesity and CO2 emissions."

Not where i sit we don't.

Fat people are fat(well, most of them), because they're lazy fuccks that eat like crap and don't exercize.

That's THEIR problem, not MINE.

Comment

Working...
                              X