My religion. What the hell am I??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
    I don't see "belonging" to a religious order a label. I think that it is important for some people to have that sense of group and order and to surround themselves with other people that think alike and have the same views on things. We spend most of our lives with people that do not share our same values and carry our same morals. To get together with a group that does once a week, or even once a month, I think is important...
    You probably right THL when you say that some people find a sense of cohesion when they are gathered together in a group of like-minded individuals.
    But is there then not also the risk of your beliefs being regimented, of being less susceptible to alternative ways of thinking?
    This has always been one of the unfortunate by-products of organized religious beliefs.
    When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

What I found was that the fundamentals of Buddhism were how I was living and what I believed anyway.
      You are a Buddhist all right , but how do you view Siddartha - the human being ?
      As a God ? As a philosopher ? As a 'great man' ?

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra
        You are a Buddhist all right , but how do you view Siddartha - the human being ?
        All of them:).

The same i think of "Shirdi ke Sai Baba".
        Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Originally posted by Batman
          I strongly believe in God but have a problem with Jesus being gods son. It just seems somehow wrong to me. Are we not all gods children? I definately think he was a prophet or something as everyone does agree that he was a real man and not just some fantasy. I suppose that means I'm not a Christian then. I do however, feel that his teachings are sound more or less. Would this mean I'm like a Jew?

As Judaism goes I don't know too much except it's old Testament stuff correct? The only problemhere that I know of is not eating pork. This I find silly and out dated. I understand why it was brought about though. Slaughter a pig in the sun and leave it for a few hours and it will make you very sick when you eat it. We have refridgerators now.

Jehova's Witness, don't get me started.

Muslim, to be fair I don't know a lot about it. What I have read makes me uncomfortable like striking down enemies of Allah and Jihad crap. I don't think I'll go there. Maybe I'm wrong, would someone care to enlighten me? Also if you think it's evil quote to Quran and prove your point.

Definately not a Hindu, a god with a million boobies is not my cup of tea so to speak.

Buddah is a crack pot.

Shinto, seems cool but who follows that? Anyone know much?

I feel closer to the teachings of Christianity but feel that it's a bit of a load of crap. Jesus strapped to a cross and hanging from the front of a church looks like idol worship to me not to mention that "I am a jealous God" thing~o means (to me anyway) that I'm not to go through a middle man when I pray as it pisses the man upstairs right off.

What do you all think and am I alone in this line of thought? Funny how the internet seems like an easier place to discuss this than in person eh?
          LOL, for some reason funniest post ever.

Look, I'd basically say you can be of any faith that you'd really want to. I think some Hindus won't accept you as a Hindu since you have to be born as a Hindu, anyway. But people have converted to Hinduism.

In almost all religions the God is the one and the same. According to my beliefs, Jesus is not a God, but a Prophet, like Ibrahim and Mohammad. That makes Jesus human and not a God He brought God's message to his people. A lot has been forgotten and lost, and perhaps thats how he became God from Prophet.

Though your belief, in that particular Jesus, concept are more Muslim than anything else, I wouldn't call you that, since its pretty much upto you. Also thats pretty much the only core disagreement between Christianity and Islam. A lot about Jihad and striking down just about any non-Muslim is greatly mis-understood, thanks to our boys joining the Al-Qaeda. That conflicts more political than religious anyway. The core belief infact is that "There is no god but Allah and Mohammad is his messenger". When you believe in that you're pretty much Muslim.

Also many folks have a belief in God but don't make it a habbit to follow a rigid religious path. Be a good guy, that should pretty much be enough. I always thought about it this way, if I'm a Muslims and if I'm to believe only Muslism get to goto Heaven, Mother Terresa can't goto hell, no way. According to one Islamic belief God's less concerned and forgivable about the sins committed against him, but says the sins committed against another human have to be forgiven by that person. So leading a good life, should be enough.

Comment

LOL, for some reason funniest post ever.
            Not at all.
            Infact , We must congratulate him.Such rational thinking would lead to a world where there are less fundamentalists and more civilised humans.

Look, I'd basically say you can be of any faith that you'd really want to. I think some Hindus won't accept you as a Hindu since you have to be born as a Hindu, anyway. But people have converted to Hinduism.
            The point is there is nobody in Hinduism who can say you are not a Hindu! Therefore anybody can be a Hindu!
            Last edited by Samudra; 17 Sep 05,, 08:22.

Comment

"The point is there is nobody in Hinduism who can say you are not a Hindu! Therefore anybody can be a Hindu!"

Sweet! I can be a Hindu! This is going to be fun :)

Comment

Leader,
                I forgot , you can eat the cow and still be a Hindoo !
                ....preferably a dead one. ;)

Comment

Leader,
                  I forgot , you can eat the cow and still be a Hindoo !
                  ....preferably a dead one. ;)
                  Ok it's not fun anymore. LET ME OUT!!!

Comment

But there is nobody to push you out.

Comment

But there is nobody to push you out.
                      OMG, I've trapped myself. How horrible!? I'll never be able to eat steak again

Comment

Leader,

A lot of Hindus do eat steak even though it is a taboo.

In fact, I find it amusing since it is very chic for Hindus to do so, especially the upward mobile and foreign returned!

It is quite a laid back religion and indeed it is a religion where anyone can do anything and the priest can do damn all about it!

In India, the Christians are also free wheeling and the padres have hardly any say in personal life except to advice.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                          Leader,

In fact, I find it amusing since it is very chic for Hindus to do so, especially the upward mobile and foreign returned!
                          How scandalous!

It is quite a laid back religion and indeed it is a religion where anyone can do anything and the priest can do damn all about it!

In India, the Christians are also free wheeling and the padres have hardly any say in personal life except to advice.
                          Yeah, you've just described most of the American population as well.

Comment

Siddhartha Gautama - I view him as he was...a human being, a prince, that sought out to gain understanding, and ended up achieving enlightenment.
                            "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by Leader
                              How scandalous!
                              Its not really all that outrageous. Hindus in the north-east eat beef as a matter of routine.
                              To each his own I guess as it should be.

Personally I feel the more evolved an individuals thinking, the less he/she would feel the need for a religious ideologue.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray

This was always my confusion with Catholics...not eating steak...doing things that are obviously against the religion...

I don't understand the confession thing. I don't get how a sin can be committed, you go to the priest and tell him about it, he makes you say some Hail Marys, and it is all well and good. A few weeks later, the same sin is committed, the same priest is sought out, the same Hail Marys recited, and all is good again.
                                "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Working...
                                X