X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leftist Hypocrisy - California

War Watch
    First appeared in print in The Rhinoceros Times, Greensboro, NC
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Orson Scott Card October 5, 2003

Isn't it funny watching the L.A. Times suddenly realize that when a political candidate shows a pattern of harassing women, it means he is probably unfit for public office?

Wasn't it just five years ago that the p.c. media viewed all of the women whom Clinton had harassed -- or even raped, as at least one alleged -- as liars, part of a vast right-wing conspiracy? And even when they were telling the truth, what did Clinton's "private life" have to do with his ability to govern?

Now, suddenly, sexual harassment is a big deal again.

Of course, it was always a big deal to me. I'm not one of those who thought the only problem with Clinton was the perjury.

But we've known this stuff about Schwarzenegger all along. The L.A. Times may claim to have published this story only a few days before the recall election because "the facts hadn't all been nailed down till now," but come on, folks -- this stuff has been in magazines and newspapers before.

It happens that I think Schwarzenegger is a ludicrous choice for governor of California. But then, he's the perfect anti-candidate for me. Right wing on money (though it's not like he has a track record) and p.c. on moral issues, he's the worst of both worlds, as far as I'm concerned.

Meanwhile, though, isn't it entertaining to watch the Left suddenly discover that sex does matter? Where are all those leftwing commentators who ridiculed the women who accused Clinton? Why aren't we hearing about how ugly and fat these accusers-of-Schwarzenegger are? Why aren't they being called trailer trash?

Is it because Schwarzenegger only hit on photogenic women? Is that it? The difference between him and Clinton is that Schwarzenegger had the bad taste to have good taste in the women he harassed?

Does anyone remember that the whole Paula Jones case was about precisely the kind of boorish behavior that Schwarzenegger is now accused of?

Here's the reason why the double standard works with the media elite: They don't actually care -- they were perfectly sincere when they defended Clinton. They couldn't care less what powerful men do to women.

They only tout this story now because they know that conservatives care about such things. They're putting out this story solely to hurt Schwarzenegger with his Republican base.

So it's not really a double standard. It's politics as usual.

Anything to keep Republicans out of office, even if it means flatly contradicting everything they said to defend Clinton.

http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2003-10-05-1.html
Working...
X