Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Noble order did the most damage in the Crusades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Templars brought the most damage and the best results at the same time. They have very disputed history.
    "We Shall Never Surrender" Winston Churchill

Comment

Everybody has mis-understood the question in the OP, likely reading it as a politically-correct question of which savage gang of white European religious fanatics most buggered up the world with their ethnocentric depredations.

He meant which order was most capable of knockin' the hell out of their enemies.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
        Everybody has mis-understood the question in the OP, likely reading it as a politically-correct question of which savage gang of white European religious fanatics most buggered up the world with their ethnocentric depredations.

He meant which order was most capable of knockin' the hell out of their enemies.
        Oh thanks - totally missed it - bu the answer is the same - Templars. At least in the Middle East.
        Sometimes years after the Middle East period and struggle between Islam and Christianity - also called crusades. (1300-1700)
        "We Shall Never Surrender" Winston Churchill

Comment

I wasn't aware that the Teutonic Knights participated in the crusades to the Holy Land. I thought they fought it out against pagans in the Baltic region during a different Crusade.
          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

The Teutonic Order moved to this neighbourhood after leaving Holy Land . And here they adapted The Sword Brothers /Livonic Order , which had been involved in this crusade since 1202 .
            If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

A small chronology of the Teutonic Knights

1070 Possible founding date of the Hospital of St. John in Jerusalem by Amalfi merchants
              1098 Crusaders of First Crusade captured Jerusalem
              1118 Hugh of Payens of Burgundy and Godfrey of Saint Adhemar, a Fleming, with seven other knights were credited with founding the Templars whose headquarters was on or near the Temple Mount in Jerusalem
              1147-1149 Second Crusade
              1190 Third Crusade featured the German Emperor Frederick I Barbarossa, King Richard I of England, and King Philip II of France; the crusaders lay siege to Acre; Germans from L(beck and Bremen probably established a field hospital named after the previous German hospital of St. Mary in Jerusalem

Comment

Orders of Knights

I am not an expert on this subject, but the question was an open one -- "Which order of knights did the most damage?" In my travels I have run across museum exhibitions and other spoor of a large number of orders of knights. In the Med there were knightly navies as well that operated against the Turks and other defined enemies. I think this discussion should go beyond the Templars (everyone's favorite mystical source for everything from the Masonic Lodges to the Tarot to the Shroud of Turin), the Teutonic Knights and the Hospitalers. It would be interesting to see a table that compared "order of battle" of the orders over time, and in some cases land areas controlled. Not all of this may be readily available, but for example, an inventory of Church property in England just before Henry VIII could produce a color-coded map that would tend to support or detract from his decision to seize such holdings for the Crown. It would be interesting to see a map of France in 1307 produced the same way that indicated what Jacques de Molay presided over on the eve of his incarceration by Phillip IV. Such research, extended to the several orders, might provide a definitive, as opposed to popular, answer to the question, and enlighten us all.

"For there is nothing which divides much and little, but only how much one can give, and another take"
                -- Xenophon, 399 B.C.

Comment

Which Order did more killing of their enemies? Hospitlers definately - he who fights last fights longest. Malta was finaly taken from them by Napolean.

Which did most damage to the Crusades? During the crusades and the time that 'Outremer' existed both by arguing and persuing divergent foreign policies. Having said that without them the Kingdom would never have stood as long as it did. In the long term the Teutonic Knights for the reasons already given by zraver.

Comment

Personaly I am no fan of the Templars as they fought with the Scots at Bannokburn (joke).

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
                      The Knights Hospitaller out-lasted everyone else, however, and continued to be a significant military force in the mediterean sea well into the late middle ages/renaissance.
                      Triple C does your signature mean "The World is not Enough" ? I am learning Latin.

Comment

Working...
                      X