Future Defence Purchases by the Indian Army

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Defence Purchases by the Indian Army

The Indian army is in dire need of new tanks to replace the ageing T-55s and Vijayanta tanks it has. The T-72s and T-90s are not enough to do that job. Do you guys think the IA will ever purchase some western tanks such as the Merkava Mk.4, Leopard 2, the M1 and the LeClerc? It has been offered the Merkava before...but it did not purchase it.

Will the Merkava suit the Run of Kutch, Thar Desert terrain?

Comment

The purchase of any Western tank would mean that the designers of the ARJUN were right and that the InA will never admit.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
        The purchase of any Western tank would mean that the designers of the ARJUN were right and that the InA will never admit.

What may I ask was the designers of the ARJUN right about?

Comment

Right about what? They would be fools to leave the army in a vulnerable position just to protect their own sense of pride.

As for the Merkava, it should be able to perform well on desert terrain. It works perfectly in the Arabian desert, so it should be able to do the same in the Thar desert.

Comment

Originally posted by Su-47MKI
            Right about what?
            The specifications.

Comment

The specifications.

could you put that into a better context for me? Were the designers at odds with the InA?

Comment

I will let Colonel (Ret'd) Ajai Shukla describe those contentions in his own words.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/sho...&postcount=102

Comment

As for the Merkava, it should be able to perform well on desert terrain. It works perfectly in the Arabian desert, so it should be able to do the same in the Thar desert.
                  Different type of deserts. Run of Kutch is not a dune area. Nor is Wagha. Also I usually see a Merkava doing some urban warfare.

Comment

I will let Colonel (Ret'd) Ajai Shukla describe those contentions in his own words.

thank you

Comment

Awesome avatar, btw.

Comment

What's a crore? Maybe one of our Indian posters can enlighten me.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith601
                          What's a crore? Maybe one of our Indian posters can enlighten me.
                          A crore is 10 million rupees.

Comment

hmm...thanks for the article. After reading what the ex-Colonel said, i say forget the Merkavas for now and upgrade all the T-72s and build more T-90s(at least 2000 to make up for the T-55s and Vijayantas that are gonna be dumped). The Russians were offering a T-72 upgrade package that would bring it to the same level as the T-90.

What i am surprised about is that the Arjun is too wide for the rail cars in India. It is surprising since India has the widest gauge railroads in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Su-47MKI
                              A crore is 10 million rupees.
                              Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X