Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is your favorite war movie?

Staff Emeritus
    The biggest problem with SPR by FAR is the simple fact that the Ranger squad had NO RADIO.

Ummm, yeah....that's believable.... :(

SPR is ALL about two scenes. The first, and the last.

Both scenes are PURE moviemaking masterpieces, and i've NEVER heard ANY movie capture the actual sound of small arms fire like in the first scene, nor seen ANY movie capture the absolutely terrorizing experience of facing tanks at muzzle contact range.

For those two scenes alone, SPR is one of the greatest war films ever made.
    Last edited by Bill; 15 Aug 05, at 04:39.

I saw the band of brothers today for the first time on the History Channel. Only saw part of it, it was really good.

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Quote Originally Posted by M21Sniper
    Both scenes are PURE moviemaking masterpieces, and i've NEVER heard ANY movie capture the actual sound of small arms fire like in the first scene, nor seen ANY movie capture the absolutely terrorizing experience of facing tanks at muzzle contact range..
    Yeah, couldnt have said it any better. I tend to skip past the middle...although I do like the scene with Paul Giamatti ("Thank you, you moron!") and Ted Danson's small group hosing those Germans down with Tommy's.

For those two scenes alone, SPR is one of the greatest war films ever made.
    Truth
    “You don’t even have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job in this constitutional republic if the Senate determines that your conduct as a public official is clearly out of bounds in your role… because impeachment is not about punishment. Impeachment is about cleansing the office. Impeachment is about restoring honor and integrity to the office.”
    ~ Lindsey Graham

"The notion that you can withhold information and documents from Congress no matter whether you are the party in power or not in power is wrong. Respect for the rule of law must mean something, irrespective of the vicissitudes of political cycles."
    ~ Trey Gowdy

My favorite war movies would have to be Band of Brothers, Hamburger Hill, Saving Private Ryan, Enemy at the Gate, Wintalkers, and We Were Soldiers.

I must say to M21Sniper, I am kind of suprised Enemy at the Gate wasn't on your list
    A truely wise man has more questions to ask than answers to give.

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Quote Originally Posted by clovely81
    I must say to M21Sniper, I am kind of suprised Enemy at the Gate wasn't on your list
    *cough cough*

That's on his LEAST favorite WWII movie list...

"Pure crap, start to finish."
    “You don’t even have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job in this constitutional republic if the Senate determines that your conduct as a public official is clearly out of bounds in your role… because impeachment is not about punishment. Impeachment is about cleansing the office. Impeachment is about restoring honor and integrity to the office.”
    ~ Lindsey Graham

"The notion that you can withhold information and documents from Congress no matter whether you are the party in power or not in power is wrong. Respect for the rule of law must mean something, irrespective of the vicissitudes of political cycles."
    ~ Trey Gowdy

Well, if you ignore the boring love movie aspect of it, I thought it was a good movie.
    A truely wise man has more questions to ask than answers to give.

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Quote Originally Posted by clovely81
    Well, if you ignore the boring love movie aspect of it, I thought it was a good movie.
    I'll let him answer that one (for a change )
    ~ Lindsey Graham

~ Trey Gowdy

Staff Emeritus
    "I must say to M21Sniper, I am kind of suprised Enemy at the Gate wasn't on your list "

Enemy at the gates SUCKED in every way that a movie can possibly suck except for budget.

The sniper related scenes were COMPLETELY unrealistic, the plot was pure drivel, the acting was mediocre, and the direction blew.

Besides that, sure...it was great.
    Last edited by Bill; 15 Aug 05, at 20:25.

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    "I must say to M21Sniper, I am kind of suprised Enemy at the Gate wasn't on your list "

Enemy at the gates SUCKED in every way that a movie can possibly suck except for budget.

The sniper related scenes were COMPLETELY unrealistic, the plot was pure drivel, the acting was mediocre, and the direction blew.

Besides that, sure...it was great.
    The opening was pretty cool I guess...especially the commisars screaming "Not one step back" before opening up on the retreating soldiers.
    Zaitsev's impromtu sniper attack afterwards was also pretty cool....
    I also like Ed Harris' character...
    Other than than...crap.
    ~ Lindsey Graham

~ Trey Gowdy

HKHolic Senior Contributor leib10's Avatar
    Hence you not liking SPR?
    I didn't like SPR because of a lot of historical inaccuracies. For instance, the beach, according to a lot of vets, was not nearly that bloody. Photographic evidence supports that. Also, German soldiers did not have their hair cut closely. Mr. Spielberg was probably confusing them with the Russians. You cannot pound a mortar shell on something and then throw it like a hand grenade. Also, the action was a bit unbelievable at times (such as the assault on the machine gun nest).

I saw The Great Raid last night. It wasn't too bad at all. I loved the book it was based on, Ghost Soldiers. The only fuss I had about it was the inevitable romance story they have to throw in nearly every movie.
    Last edited by leib10; 21 Aug 05, at 15:47.
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

HKHolic Senior Contributor leib10's Avatar
    Interesting review of SPR by Hans Schmidt, a Waffen SS veteran who served with 1st SS Panzer Division Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler during 1944-45. I read his book; it's one of the most unapologetic yet interesting memoirs I've ever read.

http://www.originaldissent.com/forum...hp/t-3882.html
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Thread Information