The Korean War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Korean War

Since the Korean War technically never ended and we have a cease fire. Should the US of dropped nuclear bombs on the north?

How good would Korea look now if NK did not exist? The US would have a strong Korea ally and not have a nut with possible nuclear weapons.

I think we would have faced a "reaction" from the two Communist powers if we had dropped the big one on N. Korea.

Comment

The US was already facing a reaction from China. The chinese lost 1 million people trying to defend the north.

Comment

Originally posted by Semper Fi
        Since the Korean War technically never ended and we have a cease fire. Should the US of dropped nuclear bombs on the north?

How good would Korea look now if NK did not exist? The US would have a strong Korea ally and not have a nut with possible nuclear weapons.
        Best case scenario. Up to 1 million Chinese troops enter North Korea to keep the North Korean refugees in North Korea.

Worst case scenario. 1 million North Korean troops try to smash their way south followed by 10s of millions of refugees into both China and South Korea, surviving any which way they can including begging, borrowing, and stealing, and demanding both Beijing and Seoul to setup a welfare system to support them.

Not a pretty picture for your wish.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
          Best case scenario. Up to 1 million Chinese troops enter North Korea to keep the North Korean refugees in North Korea.

Worst case scenario. 1 million North Korean troops try to smash their way south followed by 10s of millions of refugees into both China and South Korea, surviving any which way they can including begging, borrowing, and stealing, and demanding both Beijing and Seoul to setup a welfare system to support them.

Not a pretty picture for your wish.
          I think you misunderstood me. Should the US of used nuclear weapons on the north 50 years ago? Obvioulsly now it's quite a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by Semper Fi
            I think you misunderstood me. Should the US of used nuclear weapons on the north 50 years ago? Obvioulsly now it's quite a different story.
            The Soviets would have marched across Europe. The US did not had that many nukes back then.

However, let's assume the US/UN won the Korean War. Best case scenario, you have a banana republic in Korea. Rhee was no democrat.

Comment

"Rhee will be killed in a few weeks, when the Korean people find out the truth." -- Gen. MacArthur.

Apperently MacArthur really didn't like him.

Comment

Like Rhee cared.

Comment

I remember watching a BBC documentary on North Korea once. The reporter managed to get an interview with a North Korean general and he raised the issue of North Korean schools teaching children that the South and America started the Korean War. The general just about exploded and terminated the interview.
                  "I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC

Comment

I've read MacArthur's Reminiscences and he posits that if he had been given the authority, he could have bombed the bridges and some supply depots, rail lines, etc in China on the NK border and secured the Korean Peninsula.
                    How true is this?

Comment

MacArthur wanted to nuke China.

Comment

MacArthur wanted to nuke China.
                        So did some Senators and Congressmen back home.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
                          So did some Senators and Congressmen back home.

-dale
                          They were not part of the chain-of-command.

Comment

They were not part of the chain-of-command.
                            Correct.

-dale

Comment

IIRC Mac was disgusted by Truman over the Nuke issue, becoz he felt that Truman used it where it was (im Macs opinion) not necessary, japan, yet was dilly dallying in Korea.

Now Col sir, why did Truman not use it? There was certainly no paucity of weapons, and the USSRs ability to retaliate was non-existant (CONUS). And WWII was fresh enough in everyones mind for such an action to be acceptable.
                              "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Working...
                              X