Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

America solidifies alliance with New Europe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America solidifies alliance with New Europe.

Hungary for Freedom
    A steadfast ally gets some long-overdue recognition.
    by Katherine Mangu-Ward
    10/16/2003 12:00:00 AM

Katherine Mangu-Ward, reporter

"THIS IS VERY EXCITING, we have never had anyone so important here since I started," said the press attaché to the Hungarian embassy, as Paul Wolfowitz arrived at the unveiling a statue on the embassy's lawn.

The statue, according to the invitation, is of "Colonel Commandant Michael Kovats de Fabricy, a Hungarian-born hero of the American Revolutionary War." He is depicted in the throes of death at the Battle of Charleston. His horse's eyes bulge out and one of his arms is flung backwards in agony. In his other hand, he holds aloft the flag of the American revolutionary force, a circle of stars cut out of the bronze.

The memorial to Kovats neatly captured the themes of the day. Hungarians have been dying in American wars for as long as there have been American wars to die in, and in order to advance the cause of liberty, they are more than willing to continue to do so.

Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz pronounced America and Hungary "partners for freedom for over two centuries," a sentiment that was echoed by every speaker. He said that "small countries are making very big contributions to freedom all over the place." In particular, he cited the use of the Taszar Air Base in Hungary as the training location for the Free Iraqi Forces, a team of Iraqi-Americans who have been facilitating communications and planning between American troops and Iraqi natives. Wolfowitz thanked the Hungarians for their "contribution to the birth of this great nation" and their role "as a willing partner in the war on terror" and as one of three new members of NATO.

Andras Simonyi, the Hungarian ambassador, said that the statue was "a monument of friendship between two great nations in difficult times." He reminded the crowd (which, judging by the number of uniforms, didn't need much reminding) that in modern times, Hungary has fought alongside the United States in Kosovo, Bosnia, Afghanistan, and now in Iraq.

Hungarian minister of defense Ferenc Juhasz picked up where Simonyi left off, saying Kovats's "real sacrifice was the sacrifice of his life for liberty." The statue, which has been in the works for the better part of three decades, "is a testament to the fact that we wish to be a good reliable ally in NATO."

At the end of the formal remarks, Juhasz and Wolfowitz pulled ribbons in the colors of the Hungarian flag and the statue was revealed. As Wolfowitz was hustled out, someone mentioned how beautiful the early October day was for the ceremony. "See how powerful Hungary is," he joked. "Now that we are in NATO, we make one phone call and good weather is assured."

Katherine Mangu-Ward is a reporter at The Weekly Standard.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Conten...3/253yrzzc.asp

What is your point?

The New NATO members are far from ready and far from our standards that they could not meet our deployment requirements. This is just window dressing.

Comment

I think Sir, that it is the author's point...not neccesarily Leader's point.

I often post stuff i don't neccesarily agree with for a variety of reasons. This maybe(or may not be), the case here.

I know you field grade types aren't used to checking your words, but your post comes off as somewhat less than respectful of leader, which i do not believe you intended.

Figured i'd point that out.

Comment

I will check myself in the future.

Comment

Thanx sir, it is appreciated. Though as i stated, i doubt that you meant any actual disrespect.

Just trying for my part to prevent any misunderstandings between two good members of this forum from igniting.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
            What is your point?

The New NATO members are far from ready and far from our standards that they could not meet our deployment requirements. This is just window dressing.
            The point is that America has allies. To say that it doesn't matter because these nations aren't military powers is disingenuous because you want the US to get the opinion of nations like France and Germany, which pale it comparison to the United States in military power.

Comment

Originally posted by Leader
              The point is that America has allies. To say that it doesn't matter because these nations aren't military powers is disingenuous because you want the US to get the opinion of nations like France and Germany, which pale it comparison to the United States in military power.
              No, you misunderstood.

The last time the US got this kind of help was Somalia and I don't have to tell you what kind of clusterfuck that was.

The help I'm referring to was Canada which though not part of the Coalition of the Willing was far beyond and above ANY of the Coalition of the Willing.

Comment

Working...
              X