Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has the strongest military in Europe?

Ubi dubium ibi libertas Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by dalem
    Yeah. But they're Europeans. Please.

-dale
    Exactly what I thought. I don’t' see any part of Western Europe resisting occupation very fiercely.
    "Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have."
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"

NEVER FORGET

Military Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by thesaint
    There are only 26 millions of Iraqis. Europeans are at least 10 times that number, with mountains, forests, large cities.
    Enough said.
    The United States mobilized 15 million people in World War II with half the population we do now. If we were fighting the world, we would only be fighting the first (although ultimately decisive) rounds with our existing military. Invasion and occupation would wait until after we've geared up to a total war setting. We are currently more than capable of depriving the industrialized world of their supplies of oil. That would cripple them. The invasion and occupation would wait until we finished building up our forces. What do you think we did during WWII? What do you think the Soviets did? The Germans? It's been done, and we could do it again.

Banned Senior Contributor dalem's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lwarmonger
    The United States mobilized 15 million people in World War II with half the population we do now. If we were fighting the world, we would only be fighting the first (although ultimately decisive) rounds with our existing military. Invasion and occupation would wait until after we've geared up to a total war setting. We are currently more than capable of depriving the industrialized world of their supplies of oil. That would cripple them. The invasion and occupation would wait until we finished building up our forces. What do you think we did during WWII? What do you think the Soviets did? The Germans? It's been done, and we could do it again.
    Exactly. If one wants to think about a "realistic" fantasy scenario that somehow doesn't go nuclear, well then just eliminate all blue water shipping, because the U.S. Navy can sink it all pretty quickly and no one can change that. No one can even come close. So no more supertankers, no more mutton carriers, etc.

-dale
    Last edited by dalem; 08 Sep 05, at 10:03.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dalem
    Exactly. If one wants to think about a "realistic" fantasy scnearion that somehow doesn't go nuclear, well then just eliminate all blue water shipping, because the U.S. Navy can sink it all pretty quicly and no one can change that. No one can even come close. So no more supertankers, no more mutton carriers, etc.

-dale
    You guys are delusional. US army couldn't get the job done in Korea nor in Vietnam and is failing in Iraq, all these under much more favourable conditions than a continued occupation of Europe would present.
    Just based on the relative populations of Europe (not counting ex-USSR, of course) and Iraq, it would take 1.5+ million soldiers. Then you have to take into account that the geography of Europe is much less favourable: as I said, forests, mountains, many densely populated areas.
    How long can the US keep and supply 1.5 million soldiers on the other side of the Atlantic ? Where are you gonna find said 1.5 millions ? Reintroducing draft, right ? How would that be perceived by the US population ? Shouldn't we multiply losses incurred in Iraq by 10 as well ? So you are looking at something like 10000 kia per year; much higher total casualties too. What's the effect on the US economy of keeping 1.5 million young workers away from their jobs ?
    Get real.
    Last edited by thesaint; 08 Sep 05, at 17:14.

Banned Senior Contributor dalem's Avatar
    You guys are delusional. US army couldn't get the job done in Korea nor in Vietnam and is failing in Iraq, all these under much more favourable conditions than a continued occupation of Europe would present.
    Just based on the relative populations of Europe (not counting ex-USSR, of course) and Iraq, it would take 1.5+ million soldiers. Then you have to take into account that the geography of Europe is much less favourable: as I said, forests, mountains, many densely populated areas.
    How long can the US keep and supply 1.5 million soldiers on the other side of the Atlantic ? Where are you gonna find said 1.5 millions ? Reintroducing draft, right ? How would that be perceived by the US population ? Shouldn't we multiply losses incurred in Iraq by 10 as well ? So you are looking at something like 10000 deaths per year; much higher total casualties too. What's the effect on the US economy of keeping 1.5 million young workers away from their jobs ?
    Get real.
    Get thee to a remedial English class. I typed

"Exactly. If one wants to think about a "realistic" fantasy scenario (sp correction) that somehow doesn't go nuclear, well then just eliminate all blue water shipping, because the U.S. Navy can sink it all pretty quickly and no one can change that. No one can even come close. So no more supertankers, no more mutton carriers, etc."

Where exactly in there do I mention any other U.S. forces other than the U.S. Navy? I'm talking elimination of long distance (i.e. non-littoral) ocean trade.

-dale

Real Madrid CF Senior Contributor indianguy4u's Avatar
    Man these yank sucks. First help ur countrymen in NO , try to keep peace for one day in iraq & then boast about we can do this & that .
    Hala Madrid!!

Quote Originally Posted by indianguy4u
    Man these yank sucks. First help ur countrymen in NO , try to keep peace for one day in iraq & then boast about we can do this & that .
    Amen to that borther.

That's it! India's next!!!
    "Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have."
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"

NEVER FORGET

Military Enthusiast Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Bring it on, buddy!

I suggest go to NO & help the ppl in need.
    Hala Madrid!!

Banned Defense Professional Bluesman's Avatar
    Thank you for your considerate suggestion. I'm sure we're all refreshed and challenged by your unique outlook.

Military Professional
    How long can the US keep and supply 1.5 million soldiers on the other side of the Atlantic ? Where are you gonna find said 1.5 millions ? Reintroducing draft, right ? How would that be perceived by the US population ? Shouldn't we multiply losses incurred in Iraq by 10 as well ? So you are looking at something like 10000 kia per year; much higher total casualties too. What's the effect on the US economy of keeping 1.5 million young workers away from their jobs ?
    Get real.
    Look at World War II. We did it then, with a smaller population and less advanced technology, not to mention a Navy that was presented with a serious challenge from other navies. Now we are in a far better position vis a vis Europe than we were at the beginning of WWII, and our naval supremacy is unchallenged. Show me an industrialized nation that can function without oil. As for losses, we lost over 300000 in WWII, and over 600000 during the Civil War (and that from a much smaller population), yet we pursued both wars to complete victory regardless. And if we're fighting the industrialized world, you better believe we'd reinstitute the draft. What do you think we would have done against the Soviets (assuming central authority survived the nuclear exchange)?

With your complete lack of knowledge regarding history being demonstrated by this post, I can hardly take offense at your calling me delusional. We've done all this before (perhaps you should read a little bit about WWII), and we are in a much better position to do it again now than we were in 1941.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman
    Thank you for your considerate suggestion. I'm sure we're all refreshed and challenged by your unique outlook.
    Ya its humane suggestion. Also it should b'coz many need help. I am sure u wont contest that fact.
    Hala Madrid!!

NUKE INDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER FORGET

NUKE INDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Think about the ppl of NO, will u?
    Hala Madrid!!

Thread Information