Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 283

Thread: Who has the strongest military in Europe?

  1. #31
    Ubi dubium ibi libertas Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    04 Sep 03
    Location
    Boston, MA, USPRA
    Posts
    4,789
    Quote Originally Posted by dalem
    Yeah. But they're Europeans. Please.

    -dale
    Exactly what I thought. I don’t' see any part of Western Europe resisting occupation very fiercely.
    "Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have."
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"

    NEVER FORGET

  2. #32
    Military Professional
    Join Date
    09 Feb 05
    Posts
    1,826
    Quote Originally Posted by thesaint
    There are only 26 millions of Iraqis. Europeans are at least 10 times that number, with mountains, forests, large cities.
    Enough said.
    The United States mobilized 15 million people in World War II with half the population we do now. If we were fighting the world, we would only be fighting the first (although ultimately decisive) rounds with our existing military. Invasion and occupation would wait until after we've geared up to a total war setting. We are currently more than capable of depriving the industrialized world of their supplies of oil. That would cripple them. The invasion and occupation would wait until we finished building up our forces. What do you think we did during WWII? What do you think the Soviets did? The Germans? It's been done, and we could do it again.

  3. #33
    Banned Senior Contributor dalem's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Nov 04
    Location
    Columbia Heights, MN
    Posts
    13,048
    Quote Originally Posted by lwarmonger
    The United States mobilized 15 million people in World War II with half the population we do now. If we were fighting the world, we would only be fighting the first (although ultimately decisive) rounds with our existing military. Invasion and occupation would wait until after we've geared up to a total war setting. We are currently more than capable of depriving the industrialized world of their supplies of oil. That would cripple them. The invasion and occupation would wait until we finished building up our forces. What do you think we did during WWII? What do you think the Soviets did? The Germans? It's been done, and we could do it again.
    Exactly. If one wants to think about a "realistic" fantasy scenario that somehow doesn't go nuclear, well then just eliminate all blue water shipping, because the U.S. Navy can sink it all pretty quickly and no one can change that. No one can even come close. So no more supertankers, no more mutton carriers, etc.

    -dale
    Last edited by dalem; 08 Sep 05, at 10:03.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    25 Aug 05
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by dalem
    Exactly. If one wants to think about a "realistic" fantasy scnearion that somehow doesn't go nuclear, well then just eliminate all blue water shipping, because the U.S. Navy can sink it all pretty quicly and no one can change that. No one can even come close. So no more supertankers, no more mutton carriers, etc.

    -dale
    You guys are delusional. US army couldn't get the job done in Korea nor in Vietnam and is failing in Iraq, all these under much more favourable conditions than a continued occupation of Europe would present.
    Just based on the relative populations of Europe (not counting ex-USSR, of course) and Iraq, it would take 1.5+ million soldiers. Then you have to take into account that the geography of Europe is much less favourable: as I said, forests, mountains, many densely populated areas.
    How long can the US keep and supply 1.5 million soldiers on the other side of the Atlantic ? Where are you gonna find said 1.5 millions ? Reintroducing draft, right ? How would that be perceived by the US population ? Shouldn't we multiply losses incurred in Iraq by 10 as well ? So you are looking at something like 10000 kia per year; much higher total casualties too. What's the effect on the US economy of keeping 1.5 million young workers away from their jobs ?
    Get real.
    Last edited by thesaint; 08 Sep 05, at 17:14.

  5. #35
    Banned Senior Contributor dalem's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Nov 04
    Location
    Columbia Heights, MN
    Posts
    13,048
    Quote Originally Posted by thesaint
    You guys are delusional. US army couldn't get the job done in Korea nor in Vietnam and is failing in Iraq, all these under much more favourable conditions than a continued occupation of Europe would present.
    Just based on the relative populations of Europe (not counting ex-USSR, of course) and Iraq, it would take 1.5+ million soldiers. Then you have to take into account that the geography of Europe is much less favourable: as I said, forests, mountains, many densely populated areas.
    How long can the US keep and supply 1.5 million soldiers on the other side of the Atlantic ? Where are you gonna find said 1.5 millions ? Reintroducing draft, right ? How would that be perceived by the US population ? Shouldn't we multiply losses incurred in Iraq by 10 as well ? So you are looking at something like 10000 deaths per year; much higher total casualties too. What's the effect on the US economy of keeping 1.5 million young workers away from their jobs ?
    Get real.
    Get thee to a remedial English class. I typed

    "Exactly. If one wants to think about a "realistic" fantasy scenario (sp correction) that somehow doesn't go nuclear, well then just eliminate all blue water shipping, because the U.S. Navy can sink it all pretty quickly and no one can change that. No one can even come close. So no more supertankers, no more mutton carriers, etc."

    Where exactly in there do I mention any other U.S. forces other than the U.S. Navy? I'm talking elimination of long distance (i.e. non-littoral) ocean trade.

    -dale

  6. #36
    Real Madrid CF Senior Contributor indianguy4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Mar 05
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    1,362
    Man these yank sucks. First help ur countrymen in NO , try to keep peace for one day in iraq & then boast about we can do this & that .
    Hala Madrid!!

  7. #37
    Regular Vlad95's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Sep 05
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by indianguy4u
    Man these yank sucks. First help ur countrymen in NO , try to keep peace for one day in iraq & then boast about we can do this & that .
    Amen to that borther.

  8. #38
    Ubi dubium ibi libertas Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    04 Sep 03
    Location
    Boston, MA, USPRA
    Posts
    4,789
    Quote Originally Posted by indianguy4u
    Man these yank sucks. First help ur countrymen in NO , try to keep peace for one day in iraq & then boast about we can do this & that .
    That's it! India's next!!!
    "Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have."
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"

    NEVER FORGET

  9. #39
    Military Enthusiast Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    15 Aug 03
    Posts
    5,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    That's it! India's next!!!
    Bring it on, buddy!

  10. #40
    Real Madrid CF Senior Contributor indianguy4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Mar 05
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    1,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    That's it! India's next!!!
    I suggest go to NO & help the ppl in need.
    Hala Madrid!!

  11. #41
    Banned Defense Professional Bluesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Nov 04
    Location
    Misawa Airbase, Japan
    Posts
    8,578
    Quote Originally Posted by indianguy4u
    I suggest go to NO & help the ppl in need.
    Thank you for your considerate suggestion. I'm sure we're all refreshed and challenged by your unique outlook.

  12. #42
    Military Professional
    Join Date
    09 Feb 05
    Posts
    1,826
    Quote Originally Posted by thesaint
    You guys are delusional. US army couldn't get the job done in Korea nor in Vietnam and is failing in Iraq, all these under much more favourable conditions than a continued occupation of Europe would present.
    Just based on the relative populations of Europe (not counting ex-USSR, of course) and Iraq, it would take 1.5+ million soldiers. Then you have to take into account that the geography of Europe is much less favourable: as I said, forests, mountains, many densely populated areas.
    How long can the US keep and supply 1.5 million soldiers on the other side of the Atlantic ? Where are you gonna find said 1.5 millions ? Reintroducing draft, right ? How would that be perceived by the US population ? Shouldn't we multiply losses incurred in Iraq by 10 as well ? So you are looking at something like 10000 kia per year; much higher total casualties too. What's the effect on the US economy of keeping 1.5 million young workers away from their jobs ?
    Get real.
    Look at World War II. We did it then, with a smaller population and less advanced technology, not to mention a Navy that was presented with a serious challenge from other navies. Now we are in a far better position vis a vis Europe than we were at the beginning of WWII, and our naval supremacy is unchallenged. Show me an industrialized nation that can function without oil. As for losses, we lost over 300000 in WWII, and over 600000 during the Civil War (and that from a much smaller population), yet we pursued both wars to complete victory regardless. And if we're fighting the industrialized world, you better believe we'd reinstitute the draft. What do you think we would have done against the Soviets (assuming central authority survived the nuclear exchange)?

    With your complete lack of knowledge regarding history being demonstrated by this post, I can hardly take offense at your calling me delusional. We've done all this before (perhaps you should read a little bit about WWII), and we are in a much better position to do it again now than we were in 1941.

  13. #43
    Real Madrid CF Senior Contributor indianguy4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Mar 05
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    1,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman
    Thank you for your considerate suggestion. I'm sure we're all refreshed and challenged by your unique outlook.
    Ya its humane suggestion. Also it should b'coz many need help. I am sure u wont contest that fact.
    Hala Madrid!!

  14. #44
    Ubi dubium ibi libertas Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    04 Sep 03
    Location
    Boston, MA, USPRA
    Posts
    4,789
    Quote Originally Posted by indianguy4u
    I suggest go to NO & help the ppl in need.
    NUKE INDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have."
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"

    NEVER FORGET

  15. #45
    Real Madrid CF Senior Contributor indianguy4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Mar 05
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    1,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    NUKE INDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Think about the ppl of NO, will u?
    Hala Madrid!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Random Thoughts on the Mighty Hog - Part 2
    By Shipwreck in forum Military Aviation
    Replies: 219
    Last Post: 12 Dec 17,, 00:10
  2. Replies: 125
    Last Post: 21 Jun 08,, 04:33
  3. Articles and links for the Military Professional
    By Officer of Engineers in forum The Staff College
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 20 Nov 06,, 16:28
  4. China's Changing Military Ideology
    By Frank Zhou in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03 May 06,, 23:58
  5. Policy OKs First Strike to Protect U.S.
    By Julie in forum American Politics & Economy
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09 Apr 05,, 10:39

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •