No announcement yet.

Computer constantly freezing, any experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright, I think you installed everything properly. You don't have to install drivers for your USB, PS2, parallel, and serial ports. Windows 98 should have support for all that stuff. You might need a driver for your hard drive though.

Comment

How come you have two display adapters? You're only supposed to have one. I think you should remove the second one.

Comment

On advice from 3BSD, I flashed my BIOS. Will see if that works. I think my BIOS was dated November 2000. The new BIOS was released November 2001.

Edit: froze again
        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
          How come you have two display adapters? You're only supposed to have one. I think you should remove the second one.
          I just did that 20 minutes ago, but when Windows booted, I checked the device manager, it was listed again. Windows did not detect any new hardware when it was loading, but it was there.

Anyhow, I have to go to bed. I work as a techie at my college, will see if my boss can help me out. Thanks for the help everybody.

Edit: I've been flipping alot of PCI devices back and forth recently. I really don't know how to configure them, I just install them and hope they work.

Earlier today at about 3pm my keyboard stopped working all of the sudden, so I rebooted my computer. The screen was blank and the green light on the monitor was flashing. I removed the GeForce and installed a S3Trio64V+, got it to display.

I'm figuring it's the PCI devices and the IRQs.

Comment

Shit, I got to go to bed soon too. Alright, good luck fixing the problem. I'll let you know if I figure anything else out. I can't understand why that stupid display adapter with the ! in front of it won't un-install or why it is there in the first place.

Comment

I decided to format my hard drive and install Win98SE over again.

Problem is, FDISK says my hard drive in 15839MB. In reality it's about 74500 MB. Anybody know what's going on here??

Comment

I think I have a pretty good grip on what the problem is.

My video card is an S3Trio64V+ with 2MB of DRAM. Yes, DRAM.

I've been googling around, and it seems there are alot of freezeup problems with this particular brand of video card, especially when the the color setting is too high... i.e. 256 colors, 16 bit.

This card first ran with computers that ran Win95, and had 66, 100, 133, 150Mhz processors. I'm running Windows 98 SE with a 933 Mhz PIII, an 80GB 7200 RPM HD, and 512MB SDRAM.

I've been forced to use this because I haven't been able to get my GeForce4 to work. I think I'm going to disable it, uninstall it, and enable my onboard graphics.

It would be nice if I could get my GeForce4 MX420 to work. 1.7GB/sec bandwidth, 31 million triangles per second, 64MB SDRAM, 400Mhz memory clock, 1.0 billion pixels/second. :roll

Comment

It would be nice if I could get my GeForce4 MX420 to work. 1.7GB/sec bandwidth, 31 million triangles per second, 64MB SDRAM, 400Mhz memory clock, 1.0 billion pixels/second. :roll
                  I don't know what half of those things are, but if you say it's good, than cool.
                  Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

hmm!

but seriously if it cant display 256 colors or 16 bit true color, i guess it's time to change the whole set!
                    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Working...
                    X