Computer constantly freezing, any experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer constantly freezing, any experts

My computer has frozen about 15 times in the space of 8 hours, each time I've had to manually restart.

Could it be a problem with the interrupt controllers? I went into my BIOS and saw that three devices shared IRQ11 so I reset the display adapter to IRQ3.

I hope this works. Does anybody have any advice?
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Go to Device Manager and find the 3 devices that are sharing the same IRQ.
    Then go to resources tab and check whether there are any conflicts listed out. If you have any conflicts do search in google groups to find a solution for it.
    Last edited by Jay; 14 Oct 03,, 04:01.
    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
      Go to Device Manager and find the 3 devices that are sharing the same IR.
      Then go to resources tab and check whether there are any conflicts listed out. If you have any conflicts do search in google groups to find a solution for it.
      I did have conflicts in the past with my GeForce MX420 and S3Trio64v+, but I removed the GeForce card and am operating with the S3Trio.

When they were both plugged in there was a conflict, they both shared the same memory range and there was insufficient resources.

Prior to switching the display adapter to IRQ3, my 3com ethernet card, USB UHC, and S3Trio were sharing IRQ11. Now the former two do.

I have two listings under display adapaters in the device manager. S3Trio and Standard PCI Graphics Adapter. The Standard PCI Graphics Adapter is listed with an yellow exclamation point, it says "Your display adapater will not work with multiple monitor support" (my GeForce did before I yanked it out earlier, maybe that's why). No conflicts are listed.

Comment

Damnit.

I thought that switching the IRQ might work, but it didn't.

My computer froze against 15 minutes after I started it up.

Comment

try deleting the device driver for the display adapter, so that windows would try to download/fix the problem.

Other than that, are you sure that IRQ 3 is not used by anything else??

May be try running a IRQ diagnoistic tool to find out the conflict.

You can find some here, and i dont think they have spywarez in them.

http://www.troubleshooters.com/ttools.htm
          A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Here's a pic of the IRQ properties and memory allocation.
            Attached Files

Comment

Memory allocation
              Attached Files

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what version of Windows are you using? (assuming you are using Windows) If you're not using Windows XP, or 98, your computer will freeze fairly frequently. Any other version of Windows was built pretty poorly.

Did this problem start fairly recently?

If it did, try to remember if you installed any new hardware or software on your computer recently. If you didn't install any new hardware or software recently then do a virus scan.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
                  Just out of curiosity, what version of Windows are you using? (assuming you are using Windows) If you're not using Windows XP, or 98, your computer will freeze fairly frequently. Any other version of Windows was built pretty poorly.

Did this problem start fairly recently?

If it did, try to remember if you installed any new hardware or software on your computer recently. If you didn't install any new hardware or software recently then do a virus scan.
                  Windows 98 SE.

Specs:
                  933 Mhz PIII
                  80GB WD800JB HD (recently installed)
                  S3Trio64V+ displayer adapater (recently installed)
                  3COM 10/100 Ethernet card (recently installed) (old)
                  GeForce4 MX420 (recently installed and uninstalled)
                  512MB non-ECC SDRAM
                  Zip 100 Drive
                  Factory CD-ROM
                  48x12x48 CD-RW Drive (Benq)

About a week ago I completely formatted my computer and installed Windows 98 SE. Previously I had Windows ME. So basically to the computer everything is freshly installed, I suppose. I had a Maxtor DiamondMax 60GB 5400 RPM HD which I replaced a week ago with a Western Digital WD800JB 80GB 7200RPM HD.

Win98SE disc did not have the drivers for my integrated ESS Allegro sound device. I had to download the drivers for that and install them.

I used to have an HSP56 Micromodem installed but removed it (no use for it, was switching around PCI cards on the slots alot anyways).

I've been having this problem ever since I installed Win98SE and started fumbling around with the devices (hard drive, ethernet card, display adapters, etc.)

Comment

Holy shit, you pretty much built the whole computer from scratch. You better re-trace the steps you took to set that thing up. You did a lot of installing and un-installing so there is a good chance you may have missed a few steps in the process. If you have to, just go back to square one and re-install everything from scratch. You probably just forgot to do something.

Comment

What steps are there?

All I know is to plug a device in, Windows will prompt for the driver, if it's on the disc, install it from there, if not, download it from the internet and install.

Comment

Update: Found a virus in my Temporary Internet Files folder.

JS_EXCEPTION.GEN

Comment

I thought it might be a virus. Remove the virus, and see if that helps.

If it doesn't, keep reading.

You said you re-formatted your computer about a week ago and installed Windows 98.

When you installed Windows 98, did you install the drivers for EVERY device on your computer AFTER Windows was installed? You said you installed a bunch of other hardware recently but you did not specify if you installed the drivers for it before or after you re-formatted and installed Windows. If you re-format a hard drive and install a new operating system on it you have to re-install the drivers for every device on your computer afterwards. Are you completely sure you did this?

Comment

Just the ones it prompted for, if they weren't on the Win98SE disc, I downloaded and installed them.....

Do you mean I have to install drivers for my hard drive, motherboard, USB, PS2, parallel, and serial ports?

Comment

BTW, my computer is a Compaq 5003US.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X