Today in history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today in history

thought I'd start a thread specifically for great historical moments, feel free to add whatever you think significant
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

And as a first post: I realise that it's still the 20th in the States but here it's the 21st so I get to jump the gun.

1969: America lands man on the Moon

American Neil Armstrong has become the first man to walk on the Moon.
    The astronaut stepped onto the Moon's surface, in the Sea of Tranquility, at 0256 GMT, nearly 20 minutes after first opening the hatch on the Eagle landing craft.

His colleague Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin watched from inside the lunar module and spoke the first words of man on the Moon: "Tranquillity base. The Eagle has landed."

As he put his left foot down first Mr Armstrong declared: "That's one small step for man but one giant leap for mankind."

He described the surface as being like powdered charcoal and the landing craft left a crater about a foot deep.

'We came in peace'

The historic moments were captured on television cameras installed on the Eagle and turned on by Armstrong.

Armstrong spent his first few minutes on the moon taking photographs and soil samples in case the mission had to be aborted suddenly.

He was joined by Aldrin at 0315 GMT and the two collected data and performed various exercises - including jumping across the landscape - before planting the Stars and Stripes flag at 0341 GMT.

They also unveiled a plaque bearing President Nixon's signature and an inscription reading: "Here men from the planet earth first set foot upon the Moon July 1969 AD. We came in peace for all mankind."

After filming their experience with a portable television camera the astronauts received a message from the US President.

President Nixon, in the White House, spoke of the pride of the American people and said: "This certainly has to be the most historic telephone call ever made."

Many other nations - including the UK - sent messages of congratulation.

Moscow Radio announced the news solemnly in its 1030 GMT broadcast.

As Aldrin and Armstrong collected samples, Michael Collins told mission control in Houston he had successfully orbited the Moon in the mother ship Columbia, and take-off was on schedule for 1750 GMT this evening.

Leibniz

Comment

Battle of Tours, 732.

Charles The Hammer and his heavily outnumbered army of Frankish Infantry crush the Muslim horde in France, thereby saving the Western world from the terrible Islamic scourge that had raped and pillaged it's way across Asia and Northern Africa...forever changing history.

All we in the west are today, we are because of him.

Comment

July 19-21, 1977

Prime Minister Begin and President Carter confer in Washington and reach agreement on the need for Israel to negotiate with the Arab states in the framwork of a Geneva conference in the fall of 1977.
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

July 22 2003

Saddam Hussein's sons Uday and Qusay, wiped from the face of the Earth...
          No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
          I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
          even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
          He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

June 28, 1914, assasination of Archduke Francis Ferdinand which trigerred WW I.
            Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

July 23 1957 Theo van Gogh was born. He was murdered by an Islamic terrorist November 2 2004...
              I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
              even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
              He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

July 24, 1969 . Completion of the first manned mission to the moon
                Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

july 24, 1534. Jacques Cartier, lands in Canada, claims it for France
                  Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

I like this thread :)

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                      Battle of Tours, 732.

Charles The Hammer and his heavily outnumbered army of Frankish Infantry crush the Muslim horde in France, thereby saving the Western world from the terrible Islamic scourge that had raped and pillaged it's way across Asia and Northern Africa...forever changing history.

All we in the west are today, we are because of him.

A French army against an Islamic one...talk about a coin toss.

Comment

July 24 1969 Apollo 11 safely returns to Earth

July 24 1980 Peter Sellers passed on... :(

Comment

July 25 1861 The Crittenden-Johnson Resolution is passed by the U.S. Congress stating that the war is being fought to preserve the Union and not to end slavery.

July 25 1943 Mussolini is forced out of office

July 25 1952 Puerto Rico becomes a commonwealth of the United States

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
                            I like this thread :)
                            You DO like it, don't you :)

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by parihaka
                              You DO like it, don't you :)
                              Yes I do! :) It's a good excuse to examine the day.

Comment

Working...
                              X