M1A2 vs T-80U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
    Uhm.... its over 30 years ago... You've got a missing decade, almost 2 of them.
    Sorry for not making myself clear. I was referring to the last time I was a TC on an XM70. That was early 1990's. I was transferred to the USAR Retired Reserve in Jan 1995. A few days later my wife and I went back to Viet Nam for a two week visit with her family

Comment

• Originally posted by Linh_My View Post
      Sorry for not making myself clear. I was referring to the last time I was a TC on an XM70. That was early 1990's. I was transferred to the USAR Retired Reserve in Jan 1995. A few days later my wife and I went back to Viet Nam for a two week visit with her family
      We were at Hood at the same time then. No XM70's there in the 90's, not on the active side. 1st Cav was deep into testing the first batch of M1A2SEP's and 2AD had been recently designated Force XXI and would soon reflag as 4ID (having been recently reflagged to 2AD from 5ID). It was not a good time to be a trooper on Hood.

Comment

We were at Hood at the same time then. No XM70's there in the 90's, not on the active side. 1st Cav was deep into testing the first batch of M1A2SEP's and 2AD had been recently designated Force XXI and would soon reflag as 4ID (having been recently reflagged to 2AD from 5ID). It was not a good time to be a trooper on Hood.
        I understand. I was not on the Active side. I was Texas National Guard. I drilled at North Fort. 49th AD TXARNG Reserve Side. We typically got your stuff 15-20 years after you got them. We got your wore out old hand me downs for two week Summer Camp and some week end drills at North Fort the Reserve side. Our headquarters was at Camp Mabry, Austin, Texas. My unit was in the DFW area
        49th Armored Division (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note my Active Duty was all USN. I was transferred to the USAR Retired Reserve in Jan 1995, and was placed on the Army of the United States Retired Roll in 2004

Comment

I understand. I was not on the Active side. I was Texas National Guard. I drilled at North Fort. 49th AD TXARNG Reserve Side. We typically got your stuff 15-20 years after you got them. We got your wore out old hand me downs for two week Summer Camp and some week end drills at North Fort the Reserve side. Our headquarters was at Camp Mabry, Austin, Texas. My unit was in the DFW area
          49th Armored Division (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note my Active Duty was all USN. I was transferred to the USAR Retired Reserve in Jan 1995, and was placed on the Army of the United States Retired Roll in 2004
          Where you there when the Bradley gunner shot up his buddies who got lost and wandered on to the range? I think that was 93, maybe 94. I only ever saw your part of Hood 1x I think. Still think your memory is tricking you somehow and you might of had some refurbed chrysler xm1's not xm70's.

Comment

Where you there when the Bradley gunner shot up his buddies who got lost and wandered on to the range? I think that was 93, maybe 94. I only ever saw your part of Hood 1x I think. Still think your memory is tricking you somehow and you might of had some refurbed chrysler xm1's not xm70's.
            I'm old enough that that is possible. I was their for the sinking( tried to cross a creek too deep) of an M-60 in 1986. I understand that a CH-47 went down, an MP drowned and someone else died. The weather was horrible for our summer camp I heard about the Bradley. Can't swear that we were at the same summer camp

Comment

I'm old enough that that is possible. I was their for the sinking( tried to cross a creek too deep) of an M-60 in 1986. I understand that a CH-47 went down, an MP drowned and someone else died.
              Sounds like Cowhouse Creek. They had a sign on both sides with the then current count of drownings. A sister battalion sank an M88, but I don't think anyone died.

The weather was horrible for our summer camp I heard about the Bradley. Can't swear that we were at the same summer camp
              kk.

Comment

Sounds like Cowhouse Creek. They had a sign on both sides with the then current count of drownings. A sister battalion sank an M88, but I don't think anyone died.

kk.
                These were different incidents. The M-60 was in my company and Cowhouse Creek rings a bell. No one died on our M-60 either.

XM-70 or XM-1(TC'ed one or more of those as well) isn't the big thing. My point is that M-1s manufactured prior to 1980 were in service(for training Reserve Units) until at least as late the 1990's. The, "There were no US Army M-1s in the US Army mfg prior to 1980. " just didn't ring true to me. Had people been saying that there were no "PRODUCTION MODEL" M-1s in service mfg prior to 1980, I doubt that I would have said anything. I think that bring the M-1s back to the late 1970s is more accurate.

Comment

• Early GM prototypes date to at least 1976. Though they have a much different hull and turret. Jaques Littlefield had one of those.

What models of the M60 did you guys have. I started on the M60A3TTS. But I know in 1990 at least a few guard units still had M48A5 and I assume M60A3. The USMC still had M60A1ERA
                  Last edited by zraver; 22 Oct 13,, 23:49.

Comment

Working...
                  X