X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Erwin Rommel commited suicide when he learned that hitler killed himself."

Say what?

Comment

[QUOTE=sparten]The Japanese were ready to surrender in July1945.

The Japanese civilian government may well have been ready to surrender, unfortunately, they had absolutely no authority over any aspect of the war. That was the exclusive prerogative of the Imperial General Staff. And they were most assuredly not ready to surrender. The abortive attempt, by fanatical Army officers, to “save the Emperor from himself” by destroying the recordings of his speech announcing the surrender is proof of that.

As for how effective the Japanese resistance would have been, I think any account of the invasions of Iwo Jima or Okinawa would be enlightening. I recommend “The Rising Sun” by John Toland.
      The more I think about it, ol' Billy was right.
      Let's kill all the lawyers, kill 'em tonight.
      - The Eagles

Comment

FIeld Marshall Ervin Rommel commited suicide....The saboteurs in the assasination plot wanted to make Rommel the leader of Germany after Hitlers assasination--he was asked about it but he said he didnt want any part of it and his job is just leading his troops but he didnt inform SS or anyone about the plan-- . After the attempt failed Hitler found out and sent the SS to his house, he had 2 choices - The pill or a public trial that would strip his family of any honor and he'd get the death penalty anyways. So he sat in the SS car and popped the pill.

Comment

Major dad: Agreed on all counts.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
            "Erwin Rommel commited suicide when he learned that hitler killed himself."

Say what?
            My mistake, he was forced to commit suicide.

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
              My mistake, he was forced to commit suicide.
              ...because he was involved in trying to kill Hitler. The Nazi's tried to cover it up during the war.

Comment

I believed they said that he died of the wounds he received when he was strafed by a plane (which really did happen).
                "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Working...
                X