Rugby World Cup Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rugby World Cup Predictions

Ok, the Rugby World Cup starts this weekend, and I'm excited :)

Here are my qualifying predictions:

Australia & Argentina to get promoted from Group A, although I think Ireland could bump out the Pumas if they're lucky.

France a defenite from group B, and I can't decide between Scotland and Fiji. Scotlands form has been pretty average, but Fiji is missing some star players to club commitments.

England and South Africa are no brainers in Group C. The rest don't stand a chance.

New Zealand and Wales to go up from Group D. I'm tipping that this World Cup will be the start in a reversal of form for the Red Dragons.

Other Predictions:

Public interest in the United States will be nil, even though their team made the world bloody cup. Friggin' World Series Baseball. World Series, my arse.

Japan will not score a try, neither will Uruguay.

South Africa will dissappoint, and lose terribly to New Zealand in the Quarter Final.

Wales will put the wind up England in the Quarter Final, but the Roses will pull through.

England will make the final, but lose to Australia, who's home field advantage will pull them over the line. A combination of the weather (humid spring), Australia's rock hard pitches, and Englands injuries (they will play in a very physical group) will conspire to ensure that England sucks at sport.

Dreams:

I'd be stoked if Wales could beat England in the Quarter Final, because they would then trounce France in the Semis, and make it to the Final. However, unless there is a complete miracle, they won't be able to beat the English. *sigh*

Anyway, I think Australia will pull a bit of a turnaround in form, and win, even if I'd kinda like a Northern Hemishpere side to win the Cup for once.

Anyone else have any predictions?
    SWANSEA 'TILL I DIE! - CARN THE CROWS!

Rule Britannia, No Surrender

Staff Cadet in the Australian Army Reserve.

Soli Deo Gloria

Ok, I've gone over the forms, and here are my tips for the whole cup :)

Pool A: Australia, Namibia, Romania, Ireland, Argentina.

Australia, W 4, L 0.
    Namibia, W 0, L 4.
    Romania, W 1, L 3.
    Ireland, W 3, L 1.
    Argentina, W 2, L 2.

Australia and Ireland to go through. This is assuming the Irish beat the Argentines.

Pool B: France, Scotland, Fiji, Japan, USA.

France, W 4, L 0.
    Scotland, W 3, L 1.
    Fiji, W 2, L 2.
    Japan, W 0, L 4.
    USA, W 1, L 3.

France and Scotland to go through. This will be an interesting group to watch, as we have the always fun France v USA and USA v Japan matches. It's like, WW2 all over again!

Pool C: England, Samoa, South Africa, Uruguay, Georgia.

England, W 4, L 0.
    Samoa, W 1, L 3.
    South Africa, W 3, L 1.
    Uruguay, W 0, L 4.
    Georgia, W 2, L 2.

The Group from Hell for the minnows here. SA and the UK to go through for sure, unless the 'Boks completely stuff it up.

Pool D: New Zealand, Wales, Tonga, Canada, Italy.

New Zealand, W 4, L 0.
    Wales, W 3, L 1.
    Tonga, W 2, L 2.
    Canada, W 0, L 4.
    Italy, W 1, L 3.

New Zealand to go through for sure, and wither Tonga or Wales to go as well. I'm terribly biased towards Wales, but I seriously think they will go up.

1st Quarter Final: Should be New Zealand versus South Africa. The All Blacks should win easily.

2nd Quarter Final: Should be Australia versus Scotland, Aussies will win easily.

3rd Quarter Final: France versus Ireland. A washout France's way.

4th Quarter Final: England v Wales. Unless a miracle occours, England will beat the Dragons. :(

The Quarter Finals are looking to be pretty average matches, the only one that could be an upset is the NZ-SA one, although I'll be watching the England-Wales match with my fingers crossed.

1st Semi Final: New Zealand versus Australia. Could go either way, but I'm tipping that the home-field advantage will push the Wallabies through.

2nd Semi Final: England versus France. France are good, but the English are better. Much better.

Playoff: France will lose to either Australia or New Zealand, so it doesn't really matter.

Final: If Australia makes it to the final, they will win; if New Zealand makes it, England will.

This is pretty much the last chance for a Northern Hemisphere side to win the Rugby World Cup, because England has never been looking better.

The Final will be an absolute corker of a match though. Unlike some competitions, this one is working out to save the absolute best till last. England v. Australia/New Zealand, the last chance for the Old Country to reclaim some sporting glory, in the Colonies. :) I can't wait!

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Ok, I've revised my predictions for Pool D. I think Canade will beat Italy, and quite possibly Tonga. They better not beat Wales though, or I'll be annoyed :)

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

They don't even show Rugby on TV in the United States. They don't even show it for five seconds on ESPN when they go over all the days sports.

Comment

Time for an update. :) Of the 40 pool matches, I tipped 36 correctly. I massively overrated Georgia, and underrated Samoa.

I'm not really surprised that you guys don't see much rugby. I mean, apparently it's hard enough to see the FIFA world cup over there, let alone something as obscure as rugger.

Mind you, your own George W. Bush used to play fullback for Yale I think it was.

Anyway, Australia plays Scotland, France plays Ireland, England plays Wales, and New Zealand plays Suid Afrika.

After the Wales/ New Zealand match, I seriously think Wales has a chance at an upset.

Scotland will be thrashed, and New Zealand should defeat SA, but it won't be as easy as I previously thought.

France will beat Ireland, by how much, I can't say. The Irish very nearly beat Australia last week.

Oh, and overall the USA did very well. They went down 19-18 to Fiji, 39-15 to Scotland, 41-14 to France, and beat Japan 39-26. If any of you guys get the chance to play grab it, because you could quite possibly get a spot on the national squad :) As it is, a couple of your players are Aussies anyway.

Go the Red Dragons!

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Mind you, your own George W. Bush used to play fullback for Yale I think it was.
            Don't put any stock into that... he was also the head male cheerleader at his prep school.

As for France's chance... I can't believe they're a favorite in a sport that involves "balls". They've got Wimbledon there, but that's only because tennis involves getting the ball away from you.

:dbanana
            I never understood "fire for effect". I thought the firing WAS the effect...

Comment

Wimbeldon is in UK.

Ziska,
              are u kidding? who said we dont watch FIFA?? almost all the bars in Chicago was full last FIFA.
              A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Duke of Kent attends Wimbeldon from the Royal Box. He would not be allowed this privilege in France.

Like it or not, France is the best. Gonads or no gonads.:D

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

The Rugby World Cup is the third or fourth largest sporting event in the world, after the Olympics, FIFA World Cup, and the EURO championships. (Depending on how you figure it.

Either way, to not even get around up on ESPN is pretty pathetic.

When George visited Australia the other week, he was presented with a rugby jersey, and did confirm that he played fullback for Yale.

Rugby Union is like polo or tennis. A gentlemans game. Working class lads play Rugby League.

And don't knock the French. They could quite possibly win the cup. They have to beat England (or Wales) to make it to the final, and if they can do that, they could quite possibly run over the misfiring Wallabies or injury-plagued All Blacks.

My money is still on the Wallabies though, with a side on Wales for the upset.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

What's Rugby?

Comment

rugby is the way in which non-pussies play what you call football in the USA...
                      yankee football originated from rugby.

Comment

Rugby's fun as hell to play, but hard.

It's kinda like a cross between soccer, American football, wrestling, and a bar fight... all in one. The scoring is all wacky, with these three poles at each end. It's pretty neat, Sniper... I figured you would've known what it was, unless you're merely being facetious.

Comment

I dare you to line up opposite Jevon Kearse or Hugh Douglass and repeat that statement Squirt. ;)

Facetious? Me?

Hehehehe

Comment

I dare you to line up opposite Jevon Kearse or Hugh Douglass and repeat that statement Squirt. ;)
                            :dbanana :dbanana :dbanana :dbanana :dbanana

LMAO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper

Facetious? Me?

Hehehehe
                              i wouldnt feel shit if i get tackled, cause i would have shitloads of pads everywhere and a helmet!
                              in rugby on the other hand...

Comment

Working...
                              X