I am Presently reading "Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am Presently reading "Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer

There is aparantly some contraversy over the authenticity of Guy Sajer's "Forgotten Soldier" (see this for some arguments). I was wondering if anyone here has read it, and what they thought of it and it's claims to authenticity.

I LOVED this book. Easily the best war book I've ever read or heard of. I still read it again from time to time. I highly recommend it to everybody, regardless of whether they're interested in history.

There were a few errors regarding names of places, and there's no way that he could remember all that dialogue, word for word, unless he had a remarkable memory. Other than that, the book seems plausible enough to me. As Sajer states, in no way should his book be used as a chronological reference. His book is meant more to be a personal novel recording his feelings and individual experiences.
    Last edited by leib10; 23 Jul 05,, 15:54.
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10
      I LOVED this book. Easily the best war book I've ever read or heard of. I still read it again from time to time. I highly recommend it to everybody, regardless of whether they're interested in history.

There were a few errors regarding names of places, and there's no way that he could remember all that dialogue, word for word, unless he had a remarkable memory. Other than that, the book seems plausible enough to me. As Sajer states, in no way should his book be used as a chronological reference. His book is meant more to be a personal novel recording his feelings and individual experiences.

Roger That. Will buy/order it at the local Chapters.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieran Bennett View Post
        There is aparantly some contraversy over the authenticity of Guy Sajer's "Forgotten Soldier" (see this for some arguments). I was wondering if anyone here has read it, and what they thought of it and it's claims to authenticity.
        I read that book about 30 years ago. It's fiction, but fairly believable fiction

It was the style rather than content that was most noticeable to me. The first few chapters seemed to have been written (or translated) by a completely different person than the one who wrote most of the rest

One or two of his passages stuck in my mind, most of all the one about being in the field in Poland when the temperature "plunged to -5". I often wondered how anyone could consider -5 to be cold and how such a mild temperature could be "plunged" to. Maybe he really did come from a hot country?

Comment

I read the book several times and I have my doubts as to the "truths" contained therein. I think it should be read if you're interested in such things but I wouldn't pay full price for it.

Comment

I am currently reading 'Spoke from the Front'. Very good accounts of Afghanistan, straight from the horses mouth.

Comment

I read this book while statiioned in Germany and I thought it was a very good read. I was going to order a new copy last year but it was way over priced($25.00).

Comment

Working...
              X