No announcement yet.

Cold War 2.0: US-China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

China seems to have her panties in a twist, again, this time regarding usual USN participation in international FONOPS in the Taiwan Strait.

Originally posted by Bloomberg_News
    13 June 2022
    China Alarms US With Private Warnings to Avoid Taiwan Strait

Chinese military officials in recent months have repeatedly asserted that the Taiwan Strait isn’t international waters during meetings with US counterparts, according to a person familiar with the situation, generating concern within the Biden administration.

The statement disputing the US view of international law has been delivered to the American government by Chinese officials on multiple occasions and at multiple levels, the person said. The US and key allies say much of the strait constitutes international waters, and they routinely send naval vessels through the waterway as part of freedom of navigation exercises.

China has long asserted that the Taiwan Strait is part of its exclusive economic zone, and takes the view there are limits to the activities of foreign military vessels in those waters. While China regularly protests US military moves in the Taiwan Strait, the legal status of the waters previously wasn’t a regular talking point in meetings with American officials.
    "Private warnings?" Discussed on Bloomberg? Thats about as private as a drunken homeless bum defecating in the gutter between a couple of cars parked next to a busy urban sidewalk during a weekday lunch hour.

Comment

Originally posted by JRT View Post
      China seems to have her panties in a twist, again, this time regarding usual USN participation in international FONOPS in the Taiwan Strait.

"Private warnings?" Discussed on Bloomberg? Thats about as private as a drunken homeless bum defecating in the gutter between a couple of cars parked next to a busy urban sidewalk during a weekday lunch hour.
      That's a VERY specific reference, JRT. Want to elaborate?

And any time we can twist China's panties is a good day.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
        That's a VERY specific reference, JRT. Want to elaborate?

And any time we can twist China's panties is a good day.
        Uggh! You do know how ugly that bitch is, don't you? Why anyone would want to twist any ulgy bitch's panties is beyond me.

Chimo

Comment

It seems the incoming Philippine government under president-elect Marcos will pursue better policies to extract more concessions from both China and the US. I'm glad to see how my home country is beginning to smarten up. The United States has always taken our century-old alliance for granted. After all the help and support the Philippines have given to the US as part of our alliance, the Americans helped grow Japan and South Korea's economy instead. This Betrayal will never be forgotten. If the US wishes to restore PH's trust, then America will have to pay up and make our economy in the same league as Japan and South Korea.

Comment

Japan and South Korea grew because the US needed those countries to provide the bulk of the logistical and manpower needs to contain North Korea. The US was going to outspend the North Koreans with Japanese Yen and outbleed the North Koreasn with South Korean blood. PH could not and would not spend bankrupt herselt nor bleed herself dry for the US. You got what you paid for. Nothing less. Nothing more.
            Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by PhSt View Post

It seems the incoming Philippine government under president-elect Marcos will pursue better policies to extract more concessions from both China and the US. I'm glad to see how my home country is beginning to smarten up. The United States has always taken our century-old alliance for granted. After all the help and support the Philippines have given to the US as part of our alliance, the Americans helped grow Japan and South Korea's economy instead. This Betrayal will never be forgotten. If the US wishes to restore PH's trust, then America will have to pay up and make our economy in the same league as Japan and South Korea.
              Filipino economic strife has nothing to do with the United States, and everything to do with the flagrant corruption at all levels of government---the paragon of this corruption being the current president-elect's father. Since the end of WWII, the Philippines has long had the opportunity to decide its own future and---despite the EDSA revolutions---it has largely perpetuated the rule of self-interested opportunists who continue to bleed the common Filipino dry. The Filipino people deserve better, but the blame does not lie with the United States. Nor does the United States "owe" anything to the Philippines.

EDIT:

By the way, welcome to the WAB! I am certainly no mod, but I believe that it is customary for all newcomers to introduce themselves here: https://www.worldaffairsboard.com/fo...ll-new-members
              Last edited by Red Team; 28 Jun 22,, 02:00.
              "Draft beer, not people."

Comment

Working...
              X