Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire on the USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
    An unforgivable mess. Many careers should be ended. Biggest American dockside mess since the Normandy. This one is more egregious.
    I expect this is going to fall squarely on the contractor. There were contract welding teams at work. Per contract the contractor has to provide fire control parties...something which has obviously been scrimped on.

Who could get in hack are BUSHIPS and yard commander who did not have large enough resources to handle just such an occurrence. A larger firefighting vessels needed to be available to both fight the fire and to pressurize the water mains. That's not ship's company or type commander responsibility.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

I did not limit my comments to those in the service.
      I am sure their were culpable civilians in the Normandie disaster in NYC.

https://www.historynet.com/the-fate-...-normandie.htm
      Last edited by surfgun; 13 Jul 20,, 16:32.

Comment

Originally posted by thebard View Post
        I was on the Connie in the early '80s. The Forecastle desk was pretty badly warped from the fire and never repaired. Somehow I ended up there once and didn't even know about the fire until later.
        Wow...I knew there was permanent damage but I haven't read about it in a long time.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1479141
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
            This one comes pretty darn close. But at least Connie was able to be completed and serve for decades

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48854[/ATTACH]
            My apprentice instructor was working on it at the Brooklyn yard when it caught fire. He used to tell stories about the damage and loss of life.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
              My apprentice instructor was working on it at the Brooklyn yard when it caught fire. He used to tell stories about the damage and loss of life.
              Anything that stands out in your memory?

Comment

It strikes me that I think this fire has lasted longer than the aforementioned Constellation fire, as well as fires on the Enterprise, Forrestal, and Franklin. I suppose it contrasts with a ship's company that has to save their own ship while underway, while this fire is being largely fought from afar, to prioritize personnel safety. That there are apparently no very serious injuries as yet is really remarkable.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                  [ATTACH]48855[/ATTACH]
                  Are my eyes playing tricks on me in the smoke or has that aft mast tipped backwards?

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                    Are my eyes playing tricks on me in the smoke or has that aft mast tipped backwards?
                    The mast did topple, but I think that's the forward mast.
                    Live video here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIGgDuZ-JbA
                    They are now water bombing the aft part of the island and lots of smoke indicates that it is being engulfed now.

Comment

It strikes me that I think this fire has lasted longer than the aforementioned Constellation fire, as well as fires on the Enterprise, Forrestal, and Franklin. I suppose it contrasts with a ship's company that has to save their own ship while underway, while this fire is being largely fought from afar, to prioritize personnel safety. That there are apparently no very serious injuries as yet is really remarkable.
                      The Eneterprise, Forrestal, Franklin, and Oriskany all had hanger deck to flight deck originating fires. From what we know this particular fire started deep down in the ship. I've been down deep into the Hornet, Iowa with Rusty, and about 50 other ships at the Reserve Fleet. Main compartments like engine rooms are large but there are also many smaller compartments with one way in and out. Some accessible only via trunks. Also blacker than pitch down there and I wonder if there is any power to the ship at this time? Can only imagine fighting a fire in the deep dark confines of a ship especially if it has a head start.

Comment

The mast did topple, but I think that's the forward mast.
                        Live video here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIGgDuZ-JbA
                        They are now water bombing the aft part of the island and lots of smoke indicates that it is being engulfed now.
                        You're right as I just noticed the aft radar dome.

Comment

That's from the live video feed

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1479142

Comment

What I want to know is, why hasn't she done a Normandie and turned turtle?

Comment

There’s only a few feet of water beneath her keel. There’s a good chance she’s already grounded.

Comment

The Normandie disaster was exasperated by accumulating ice from firefighting. If the island of BHR was coated with ice, well it wouldn’t be good.

Comment

Working...
                                X