The Cursed Platoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cursed Platoon

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...-afghanistan/?

too big a story to paste here, and has good visuals on the site.

talk about a Lt from hell. he blue falcon'd every single guy he was supposed to be leading. frankly i'm a bit surprised a grenade didn't accidentally roll into his tent.
    Last edited by astralis; 02 Jul 20,, 17:44.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Consider posting it in sections. The link leads me to 'can't find this page', and most WashPo content is paywalled anyway.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
      WashPo content is paywalled anyway.
      Hint: Block all cookies from WaPo and NYTimes (in Firefox this is under Tools -> Options -> Privacy and Security -> Cookies and Site Data -> Managed Permissions
      Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
        Hint: Block all cookies from WaPo and NYTimes (in Firefox this is under Tools -> Options -> Privacy and Security -> Cookies and Site Data -> Managed Permissions
        As my 11 year old son would say to me about computers, "I know this technology is beyond you, because your are old", so I must say way to go Sir hitting one out of the park for all the old guys...

However, BF is right in that I also get "Sorry, we can’t seem to find the page you’re looking for"
        Last edited by tbm3fan; 02 Jul 20,, 16:50.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
          However, BF is right in that I also get "Sorry, we can’t seem to find the page you’re looking for"
          I found it on the main WaPo Page by scrolling down.
          Chimo

Comment

I found it on the main WaPo Page by scrolling down.
            Ah ha, thank you

Comment

Sir, for Safari and Chrome please.
              Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                Sir, for Safari and Chrome please.
                I don't have Safari

On Chrome -> goto washingtonpost.com. On the address bar to the left of the url, there is a padlock icon. Click on that. Click on cookies used. Scroll down to washingtonpost.com. Block both washingtonpost.com and www.washingtonpost.com
                Chimo

Comment

thanks, fixed (i think).

it's truly a massive story with a lot of multimedia so it's a bit hard to copy and paste. let me know if you're paywalled from getting in.
                  There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                    thanks, fixed (i think).

it's truly a massive story with a lot of multimedia so it's a bit hard to copy and paste. let me know if you're paywalled from getting in.
                    God Almighty! How the hell did he got assigned a platoon? Why didn't the platoon 2IC relieved him? That's his job. GC and LAW violations galone
                    Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 02 Jul 20,, 18:13.
                    Chimo

Comment

The thing that struck me like a hammer is that this guy said he didn't know any of these guys and can't even remember their names. The Sergeants seemed to know everybody and he didn't even recall them? How the hell did he ever get into the Army much less an officer? You know who he sounds exactly like? Trump, who does the same thing when something comes back at him. I don't know them or I have never met them. Unfruckin believable.

I can understand how the guys feel like there was no point...

Comment

The thing that gets me is that the platoon sergeant didn't step up and relieve the fuck of his command. Pointing weapons at and shooting at unarmed civilians are clear GC violations.
                        Chimo

Comment

Ayres and McGuinness, the senior sergeants, both got disciplinary letters for not stepping in forcefully enough.

but, at least McGuinness -tried-.

from the article:

McGuinness tried to intervene on behalf of his soldiers. He talked to Gray’s new commanders, who McGuinness said wanted to run him out of the Army for being drunk.

“Did you ask him why he’s drinking too much?” McGuinness pressed them.

Zettel asked McGuinness to meet with his new platoon sergeant when the Army, without explanation, blocked him from attending Ranger School.

McGuinness also spoke up for Jarred Ruhl, who had been one of his best soldiers in combat. Ruhl came home from Afghanistan with orders for Hawaii and a promotion to sergeant. But he soon began skipping morning formation, was demoted twice to private first class and forced from the Army.

“I just don’t know how to deal with everything that happened,” Ruhl told him. He had been standing next to Lorance when the lieutenant gave the orders to kill the Afghan men.

McGuinness, who said he felt like a failure for not stopping the killings or shielding his men from the fallout, was also self-destructing. “I was mouthy and insubordinate,” he said. He felt distant from his two young children and said he was drunk “six days a week.”
                          the fact that Lorance got away with murder makes me sick.

because he didn't just murder Afghans, he effectively murdered his own platoon.

once again, f*ck Trump.

Comment

WTF? At the first sign of an illegal order, it is the 2IC's job to relieve the OC. What's more, it is the 2IC's duty to place the OC under arrest. And what the hell are the Company OCs doing? If Gray was unfit for command, why wasn't he relieved? Were they that short of platoon leaders?
                            Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 03 Jul 20,, 18:12.
                            Chimo

Comment

God Almighty! How the hell did he got assigned a platoon? Why didn't the platoon 2IC relieved him? That's his job. GC and LAW violations alone
                              Sir, in the US Army, there is no platoon 2 IC. In the US Army the Platoon Leader is the only officer. The Platoon Sergeant is the next higher and has no authority. The unit was operating dispersed from the troop HQs. And things happened so fast I don't think the PSG had time to do anything. This man was not the lieutenant the platoon had trained with before coming to A'stan.

Lorance was a dirt bag who never should have been commissioned. He was a product of the requirement to meet the uptempo deployment cycles...and it shows how supposedly elite units can be worn down and standards slip.
                              Last edited by Albany Rifles; 07 Jul 20,, 14:38.
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X