Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing the cancer that is Woodrow Wilson from the position of honor in the US.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the cancer that is Woodrow Wilson from the position of honor in the US.

As many know Woodrow Wilson is the SOB that decided to segregate the United States Navy.

Finally the tide is turning against him as his name is being stripped from halls of higher learning.
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/princeton...acist-thinking

Yet his name is still on the South Eastern Potomac River crossing bridge of the Capital Beltway.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodrow_Wilson_Bridge

Furthermore, his remains taint the National Cathedral.
    https://www.presidentsusa.net/wilsontomb.html

Where are the calls in Washington to outcast this modern day (20th Century) racist?
    Last edited by surfgun; 27 Jun 20,, 21:57.

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
    As many know Woodrow Wilson is the SOB that decided to segregate the United States Navy.

Finally the tide is turning against him as his name is being stripped from halls of higher learning.
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/princeton...acist-thinking

Yet his name is still on the South Eastern Potomac River crossing bridge of the Capital Beltway.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodrow_Wilson_Bridge

Furthermore, his remains taint the National Cathedral.
    https://www.presidentsusa.net/wilsontomb.html

Where are the calls in Washington to outcast this modern day (20th Century) racist?
    Dude. Right here, on your very own State Propaganda channel:

Princeton drops Woodrow Wilson's name from school due to 'racist thinking' - Fox News

For fuck's sake....

As for "calls in Washington" itself, they're probably a little busy still trying to get statues of actual slaveowners and slave defenders knocked down and KEPT down. Not an easy task when the President of the United States is fighting them tooth-and-nail every step of the way, up to and including outright extortion:

Trump called for toppled Confederate General Albert Pike statue to be restored in DC

Interior Secretary threatens to withhold funds from state and local governments unless they protect monuments

Besides, you wouldn't want to be called a terrorist for advocating such things, now would you?

Trump calls protesters 'terrorists,' pledges 'retribution' for tearing down statues

You don't actually think your faux outrage through very well, do you.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Is this a true awaking of morality and principals or, to borrow from TH, just some faux moral outrage. I feel pretty good about doubling down on the latter.

Comment

1. There has been a backlash about Wilson in history academia for over 20 years. He was a known racist who stopped many of TRs progressive programs. There have been several attempts in the pass to drop his name. And Wilson's name was added in the late 1940s, decades after the School opened. Also, Princeton is a private school and change names as it so chooses.

2. The current Wilson Bridge is named for an earlier bridge of the same name on the same site. It is jointly owned between Maryland & Virginia. What becomes of it's name in the future are up to the governments and people of those states.

3. The National Cathedral, or called by it's right name, the Cathedral Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul in the City and Diocese of Washington, is privately owned by the Episcopal Church. It can have buried beneath its floors whomever it so chooses.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

I have to say, this has got to be the first time where me and surfgun are on the same wavelength, lol.
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
            I have to say, this has got to be the first time where me and surfgun are on the same wavelength, lol.
            I personally have zero problems with Wilson's name being removed from schools and bridges etc.

It's surfgun's faux outrage that I find disgustingly insincere....although perfectly in line with his recent "whataboutism" posting history: Can't defend Trump? Resort to whataboutisms.
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Tops must fancy himself as some sort of paranormal, the reads the content of men’s souls?

This USN photo displays sailors under arms (integrated as was USN practice) during a Pre-Wilson parade.
              https://www.navy.mil/view_image.asp?id=113959

Comment

Tops must fancy himself as some sort of paranormal, the reads the content of men’s souls?
                No paranormal involvement needed, we can all read your post history, and also see clear trends. They're a fascinating insight into one's soul.

Speaking of post history, it's almost time for the Supreme Court to rule on Trump's assertion of "total immunity" from prosecution, up to and including straight-up murdering someone....I asked you about that multiple times and you kept deflecting and ducking, brushing it off as "interpretations that line up with and fall into the mainstream press and Democrats believe that Trump has anointed himself King."

Of course, it was never any of those things, it was Trump's own lawyer voicing that claim, which dovetailed nicely with Trump's claim of "When somebody's the president of the United States, the authority is total."

So now here we are, almost game time....would you care to defend those assertions? Or even simply comment on them? Do they bother you in the slightest?

This USN photo displays sailors under arms (integrated as was USN practice) during a Pre-Wilson parade.
                https://www.navy.mil/view_image.asp?id=113959
                That's interesting...what does it have to do with Wilson?

Comment

Tops, I believe earlier in this thread it was mention that the United States Navy was segregated by none other than the topic of this thread Woodrow Wilson. That photo had an armed unit of sailors of mixed ancestry. Wilson’s policies prevented similar formations for decades.

Comment

Dude led the country during a world war and has an entire theory of international relations named after him, specifically the theory that we are currently using that defeated the Communists and has created several decades of peace and prosperity.
                    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Tops, I believe earlier in this thread it was mention that the United States Navy was segregated by none other than the topic of this thread Woodrow Wilson. That photo had an armed unit of sailors of mixed ancestry. Wilson’s policies prevented similar formations for decades.
                      I see, well done on the photo then. My apologies for imputing false motives to you.

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                      Dude led the country during a world war and has an entire theory of international relations named after him, specifically the theory that we are currently using that defeated the Communists and has created several decades of peace and prosperity.
                      Still an unabashed racist. Small wonder considering he grew up with slaves in his household.

Comment

Yes, the man born in the 1850s South turned out to be pretty racist. Not really sure that's enough to describe him as "cancer" or to remove honorifics, particularly for a President as notable and historically well-regarded as Wilson.
                        "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                          Yes, the man born in the 1850s South turned out to be pretty racist. Not really sure that's enough to describe him as "cancer" or to remove honorifics, particularly for a President as notable and historically well-regarded as Wilson.
                          Again, as I said, his name has been problematic within academia....which is what this entire thread is about...for decades. And there have been multiple questions within the field about his governance, especially his totally dismantling of the progressive (and I use that in the 1900s meaning that TR used) initiatives of the Roosevelt Administration, especially with African Americans in civil service.

This article from several years ago certainly lay out ample reason for why a private university may want to change a name.

https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/20...-contd/417990/
                          Mark Twain

Comment

plus, Wilson led the US effort in WW1 in as shambolic a way as possible.

efforts to prepare the US as early as 1915 for potential entry into WW1 was continually delayed by Wilson because he and the Democrats (whose base at the time was the agrarian South) thought that preparation would make the US more likely to enter the war. the fact that TR was screaming since 1914 for the US to get ready was an even bigger turn off for Wilson.

so the scramble in 1917 was a giant clusterf*ck, and US troops initially fought with French weapons using 1914 tactics because the military and the military-industrial complex was woefully unprepared. it took so long for the US to deploy that Germany came within a hair of winning the war in spring 1918.

but even that pales to the fact that Wilson was a giant racist, notable for his racism even in his own day.
                            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Eric,

Don't get me started on the abject failure of Wilson as a wartime leader. Arsenal of Democracy my ass! The ONLY reason US industry was halfway ready is because of contracts they had had with Great Britain from 1915 onward.
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X