What is this and/or where is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this and/or where is this?

Been meaning to get this ramped up for awhile....

Click image for larger version

Name:	what is this 2.png
Views:	2
Size:	945.9 KB
ID:	1485827
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Looks like the Mojave Desert in any of the countless wide open locations.

Comment

Okay....you are in the right sector of the world but can you zoom in?
      Mark Twain

Comment

Can I zoom in? If it were a live link I probably could zoom in but it is just a picture at the moment. I'm certainly not going to go over to google bring up the entire Mojave Desert and start looking for that building. However, if I listen to my spidey sense and you being Army, then I would think you put up something around the edges of Fort Irwin. All around the base the desert looks flat just like in your screen capture. As far as zooming in you are already at 50 feet and could go 20 feet. Wild guess though. Is that the garage for your M1 Abrams?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by tbm3fan; 17 Jun 20,, 19:03.

Comment

Go about 150 miles north of FT Irwin.

Right Church....wrong pew.
          Mark Twain

Comment

150 miles north would be roughly the north edge of Death Valley National Park/Stovepipe Wells.

This is a massive area. Most people do not realize the wide open spaces of California. Twenty two states would fit inside the Mojave Desert. Take in the surrounding area, still desert, but not included into the Mojave and you can add another 10 states. Of course same would be true of Alaska and Texas. As for California the Mojave Desert comprises 31% of California itself and very sparsely inhabited.
            Last edited by tbm3fan; 18 Jun 20,, 00:33.

Comment

It is the turret of the USS Louisville, a Northampton Class heavy cruiser, in Area 2 of the Nevada Test Site. The Louisville was a Washington Treaty period heavy cruiser that saw a lot of action in the Northern and Central Pacific in World War 2. Several of her sisters were sunk at Savo Island. She was hit twice by kamikazes...the second tie pretty severely off Okinawa. Sent back to the States it was decided to scrap her instead of repair.

But they yanked the forward turret off, removed the outboard rifles and shipped it to Nevada. Where it was mounted on a pedestal and used to measure radioactivity and blasts for dozens of nuclear weapon tests. The mounted sensors in the barrel and aimed it at the shot site to get data. The heavy armor steel was an effective barrier to radiation.

Here it is in a Google Maps view. Notice all the craters to its East.

BTW, if you draw a line from it through the Sedan Crater and pan NE you'll come across a large dry lake. That is non other than Area 51.

If you have one post away!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/37...16.10904?hl=en
              Mark Twain

Comment

Now you said north which is why I stayed out of Nevada being that it is northeast. I was both a boy scout and of an exacting nature. So I use northeast, southeast, north by northwest. Same with make a right turn after 0.8 miles. My wife, on the other hand, is typically inexact. She'll either tell me to make a left and I'll ask should I do it anytime I want? Or I'll tell her stay in 2nd from the left, left disappears, go to 2nd traffic light, then make left turn at light. We get to light and then asks is this where I turn left? I look at her with that look of what? She then gets upset with me.

Anyway this was northeast so I avoided moving into Nevada. Lots of white vehicles in Area 51. Now everyone of those craters are the after effect of an underground test? Never mind looked it up at 828 underground tests and 100 atmospheric.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                  Now you said north which is why I stayed out of Nevada being that it is northeast. I was both a boy scout and of an exacting nature. So I use northeast, southeast, north by northwest. Same with make a right turn after 0.8 miles. My wife, on the other hand, is typically inexact. She'll either tell me to make a left and I'll ask should I do it anytime I want? Or I'll tell her stay in 2nd from the left, left disappears, go to 2nd traffic light, then make left turn at light. We get to light and then asks is this where I turn left? I look at her with that look of what? She then gets upset with me.

Anyway this was northeast so I avoided moving into Nevada. Lots of white vehicles in Area 51. Now everyone of those craters are the after effect of an underground test? Never mind looked it up at 828 underground tests and 100 atmospheric.
                  Okay....NNE.

Anyway, you're up!
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                  X