Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Facebook employees stage a virtual walkout over Zuckerberg's inaction on Trump posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook employees stage a virtual walkout over Zuckerberg's inaction on Trump posts

I am trying to understand what exactly these employees wanted, because it doesn't make sense to me.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/01/tech/...ter/index.html
    Seek Save Serve Medic

I am on LinkedIn and I saw this post from a FB employee (Timothy J Aveni) who said that he is resigning over this issue.

"I cannot stand by Facebook’s continued refusal to act on the president’s bigoted messages aimed at radicalizing the American public. I’m scared for my country, and I’m watching my company do nothing to challenge the increasingly dangerous status quo."

There are more than a 1000 comments responding to his post. A few have criticized him saying that he is mixing work with politics, especially when the work has no direct relation to persecuting minorities. The majority of the commenters have praised him for his courage and there are several offers to set him up for his next job...
    Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Originally posted by 667medic View Post
      I am on LinkedIn and I saw this post from a FB employee (Timothy J Aveni) who said that he is resigning over this issue.

"I cannot stand by Facebook’s continued refusal to act on the president’s bigoted messages aimed at radicalizing the American public. I’m scared for my country, and I’m watching my company do nothing to challenge the increasingly dangerous status quo."

There are more than a 1000 comments responding to his post. A few have criticized him saying that he is mixing work with politics, especially when the work has no direct relation to persecuting minorities. The majority of the commenters have praised him for his courage and there are several offers to set him up for his next job...
      I don't know if he is a Millennial or not, but if he is then it doesn't surprise me. That Gen tends to believe much is inter-connected and therefore want to know the why of everything.

I can see that attitude. I'm reminded of being told not to do something by my father and when asking why I am told because I said so. Never accepted that back then and would not do so now. I want the justification for it rather than shut my mouth and go along. For an old guy, as my 11 year old says, I have never given him a "because." He is smart enough to hear the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
        I don't know if he is a Millennial or not, but if he is then it doesn't surprise me. That Gen tends to believe much is inter-connected and therefore want to know the why of everything.

I can see that attitude. I'm reminded of being told not to do something by my father and when asking why I am told because I said so. Never accepted that back then and would not do so now. I want the justification for it rather than shut my mouth and go along. For an old guy, as my 11 year old says, I have never given him a "because." He is smart enough to hear the facts.
        That chap is definitely a millennial, graduated in 2019 and entered FB as his first job. I am just surprised that people are willing to employ him when he would rather quit than constructively work with his company to effect a change if atall a change is needed in the first place. If they are talking about muzzling Trump's opinion, what happened to 1st Amendment? Isn't that the reason for the protests, people exercising their 1st Amendment rights?
        Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

That chap is definitely a millennial, graduated in 2019 and entered FB as his first job. I am just surprised that people are willing to employ him when he would rather quit than constructively work with his company to effect a change if atall a change is needed in the first place. If they are talking about muzzling Trump's opinion, what happened to 1st Amendment? Isn't that the reason for the protests, people exercising their 1st Amendment rights?
          I can't attest to what this particular person may want but if as a group they wished that Facebook did what Twitter did then I can see that. However, a lot in this Gen frown on anything that resembles hate speech, or incites one to take a more violent method, so I can't say I blame them. If they feel we need more love, and peace, and can't we get along then I can go along with that.

Very much reminds me of 1968, a very tumultuous year, which also had the peace and love mantra out of the Haight and Berkeley. Then Nixon came along (same law & order shtick) and all that got suppressed back down but when one is going to throw up they can only suppress so long before it all comes out. Now here we are again.

Comment

As we all stated upfront and full, no one has the right not to be offended.
            Chimo

Comment

If millennials get offended they should go out and vote, and also remember they'd be shot in many countries or go missing for airing their views on the country's leadership. What a mis-directed generation with a sense of elitism, nonsensical activism and entitlement. Bloody left has corrupted their minds.

P.S. I support banning FB & WhatsApp.
              Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

That chap is definitely a millennial, graduated in 2019 and entered FB as his first job.
                if he graduated 2019, then he's not a Millennial, he's Gen Z.

I am just surprised that people are willing to employ him when he would rather quit than constructively work with his company to effect a change if atall a change is needed in the first place.
                if you're a decent programmer, you write your own ticket in Silicon Valley. if Facebook is your first job upon graduation, that likely means you have impressive technical ability.

Mark Zuckerberg has made his position clear. he's overruling his own senior staff on this issue. so the idea that a young programmer is going to decisively influence the conversation is not high.

If they are talking about muzzling Trump's opinion, what happened to 1st Amendment? Isn't that the reason for the protests, people exercising their 1st Amendment rights?
                the 1st Amendment prevents -government- from muzzling voices. if Facebook wanted to ban Trump posts, they -could-. they'd just have to suffer the political/economic repercussions of it, which Zuck doesn't want.
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

If they are talking about muzzling Trump's opinion, what happened to 1st Amendment? Isn't that the reason for the protests, people exercising their 1st Amendment rights?
                  Private orgs don't have to uphold 1st amendment rights. They have their own arbitrary rules and decide what can and cannot be said.

What's interesting is FB is allowing Trump's opinon which this employee disagrees with.

Too bad he does not run FB : )
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 03 Jun 20,, 12:16.

Comment

Yeah, don't lump us Millennials in with those damn Zoomers. We suck, too, but at least we are our brand of suck, like thinking the 90s were actually a good time culturally when they were pure crap.
                    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                      If millennials get offended they should go out and vote, and also remember they'd be shot in many countries or go missing for airing their views on the country's leadership. What a mis-directed generation with a sense of elitism, nonsensical activism and entitlement. Bloody left has corrupted their minds.

P.S. I support banning FB & WhatsApp.
                      I do believe your perspective is a bit overboard. I'd highly recommend not going overboard as you run the risk of missing a lot that is good in every generation. Blanket statements serve no purpose other than being another line in the sand. We have enough lines now...

Comment

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                        Yeah, don't lump us Millennials in with those damn Zoomers. We suck, too, but at least we are our brand of suck, like thinking the 90s were actually a good time culturally when they were pure crap.
                        I'm kind of curious. What decade would you consider to be a good time culturally?

Comment

I'm kind of curious. What decade would you consider to be a good time culturally?
                          Definitely the 00s and 10s, but even the 70s and the 80s outpace the 90s. The 90s had the Simpsons and Seinfeld, a brief period of Grunge, and Saving Private Ryan/Pulp Fiction. Other than that, ahhhhh!
                          "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                            Definitely the 00s and 10s, but even the 70s and the 80s outpace the 90s. The 90s had the Simpsons and Seinfeld, a brief period of Grunge, and Saving Private Ryan/Pulp Fiction. Other than that, ahhhhh!
                            Ah, so the 60s would be considered to far back in time to be noted?

Comment

Ah, so the 60s would be considered to far back in time to be noted?
                              Honestly, the 60s and before are too culturally alien for me to judge.

Comment

Working...
                              X