Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Facebook employees stage a virtual walkout over Zuckerberg's inaction on Trump posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
    I was going to get upset but then you mentioned the greatest movie ever made. Now you are like one of my top 3 favorite members of this board
    That's a movie I would put in the 'cult' category and the British ones Lock, stock & Snatch

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    He just called us all dinosaurs.
    Ah, a Jurassic Park fan i believe : D

Very 90s

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
      ^Has its moments : D

Ah, with one of the classic bland cars of the 90s, a Toyota Corolla...

Comment

Ah, a Jurassic Park fan i believe : D

Very 90s
        And I totally resent the fact that paleotologists started putting feathers on us. We're scaley lizards, not fluffing peacocks.
        Chimo

Comment

Actually, one thing about the 90s I am missing....Disney Renaissance.
          "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
            Yeah, don't lump us Millennials in with those damn Zoomers. We suck, too, but at least we are our brand of suck, like thinking the 90s were actually a good time culturally when they were pure crap.
            Hmm, i wonder if i can use 'ok zoomer' as reply to this 'ok boomer' jibe i keep reading so often

Won't work outside the US though because no one else uses that boomer term any way.
            Last edited by Double Edge; 06 Jun 20,, 20:25.

Comment

Originally posted by 667medic View Post
              I am trying to understand what exactly these employees wanted, because it doesn't make sense to me.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/01/tech/...ter/index.html
              Does this answer your question ?

FB has joined the establishment.

I used to think India had this leftist problem i didn't realise it was so widespread in the west and we see the direction the US is going in.

Might not look it in the political space but this is who the gatekeepers of information are.

US has the most liberal freedom of speech. Their limit is incitement. Most countries do not even get that close.

What people on FB/twitter are going to be getting is a watered down version. Business wise this will work well in the world since most countries have more restrictions.

Private org, unfortunately. They decide.

But it does enable parties of the same persuasion to create campaigns to attack select targets to push agendas and that is what we will keep an eye out for.

Pulled quite the number on their coverage of the Delhi riots. Oh i wonder how they will spin the American ones now.
              Last edited by Double Edge; 07 Jun 20,, 02:52.

Comment

Gatekeeper, this is the word I was looking for some time.

Well, FB has not joined the establishment, Mark is just trying to save his wealth and a$$ from President Trumps' short-term wrath. In India, he & FB does the opposite. So, this is, what I said earlier, money minded. He plays both sides and profits from it. The businessman.

Source
                Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                  Gatekeeper, this is the word I was looking for some time.

Well, FB has not joined the establishment, Mark is just trying to save his wealth and a$$ from President Trumps' short-term wrath. In India, he & FB does the opposite. So, this is, what I said earlier, money minded. He plays both sides and profits from it. The businessman.

Source
                  Going by the backgrounds of the people on this 'oversight' board. i'd say they're the same clowns sitting in the NYT, WAPO, WSJ, CNN, Guardian & BBC.

Establishment media is what i mean. The ones Trump rails about. After a few experiences i know what he means.
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 07 Jun 20,, 02:55.

Comment

Mark has/control ~ 58% of the voting rights in FB, oversight board & board members are sitting ducks in FB.

Establishment media, which is left leaning, have only themselves to blame. They capture only one side of the story, one that they believe in. In the US, we have Fox, which is rightwing, and it stokes conspiracy theories. When do we get one center-right media outlet that can bury the propaganda that the left dishes out everyday. We do have Zee News in India though, mostly center-right.
                    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                      Mark has/control ~ 58% of the voting rights in FB, oversight board & board members are sitting ducks in FB.

Establishment media, which is left leaning, have only themselves to blame. They capture only one side of the story, one that they believe in. In the US, we have Fox, which is rightwing, and it stokes conspiracy theories. When do we get one center-right media outlet that can bury the propaganda that the left dishes out everyday. We do have Zee News in India though, mostly center-right.
                      You may want to look at this site. Well respected and acknowledged that they pretty much get the US media pegged correctly.

https://www.adfontesmedia.com/?v=402f03a963ba
                      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Hmm, i wonder if i can use 'ok zoomer' as reply to this 'ok boomer' jibe i keep reading so often

Won't work outside the US though because no one else uses that boomer term any way.
                        "Zoomer" is probably a temporary label before we get something else. Millennials used to be Gen Y until Millennial stuck.

Zoomers might be the Gig Generation or something odd like that.
                        "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by 667medic View Post
                          I am trying to understand what exactly these employees wanted, because it doesn't make sense to me.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/01/tech/...ter/index.html
                          That was Facebook not taking down his posts.

Twitter went beyond with Trump.

Banning Trump on twitter is going to have consequences for big tech.

They job is to relay messages not deal with election issues. The latter is the job of the legislature or election commission.

Countries are already seeing this as a sovereignty issue and drafting laws to deal with it.

Comment

That was Facebook not taking down his posts.

Twitter went beyond with Trump.

Banning Trump on twitter is going to have consequences for big tech.

They job is to relay messages not deal with election issues. The latter is the job of the legislature or election commission.

Countries are already seeing this as a sovereignty issue and drafting laws to deal with it.
                            Twitter and Facebook are private companies which can do as they wish so long as they stay within the law. In their recent actions they were totally within the law and operating as they saw fit.

The 1st Amendment applies to interaction with the government and not with private companies.
                            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

Twitter and Facebook are private companies which can do as they wish so long as they stay within the law. In their recent actions they were totally within the law and operating as they saw fit.

The 1st Amendment applies to interaction with the government and not with private companies.
                              Even Trump, in a video since he can't twitter, has said his 1st Amendment rights are being violated. One would think a President shouldn't be that ignorant about the Constitution but then we are talking about Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post

Even Trump, in a video since he can't twitter, has said his 1st Amendment rights are being violated. One would think a President shouldn't be that ignorant about the Constitution but then we are talking about Trump.
                                The Wharton School isn't coming out looking very good after the last 4 years....
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X